Jack White solo album - Blunderbuss 4/24

Started by DewieCox, Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHerm

Quote from: Jon T. on Apr 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
What a mature, badass rock n' roll album.  Dude just does not put out mediocre, uninspiring stuff.  Jumps right there with Dr. Dog for my favorite album of the year.  I have only listened to it 2x though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

psssst, ya know, could ya....?
Me too

the_wizzard

Quote from: BigHerm on Apr 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Apr 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
What a mature, badass rock n' roll album.  Dude just does not put out mediocre, uninspiring stuff.  Jumps right there with Dr. Dog for my favorite album of the year.  I have only listened to it 2x though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

psssst, ya know, could ya....?
Me too
Geez kids...it's streaming for free on iTunes.

TheThird

Picked up my copy three days early (not really sure how but hey I'm not complaining  :thumbsup:) and after first spin, I approve. Of course it usually takes a couple of spins to really give a solid opinion. I'm interested to get everyone else's opinion too.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

YouAre_GivenToFly

I'll admit to being WAY late to jump into the Jack White club, but I'm in deep now. Just since the new year have I really began listening to the Dead Weather and TWS in earnest, and I've been amazed. This is a solid album. Creative, rocking, confident... and plenty of fun. I've listened to it 3 times today, and it's an early favorite for my album of the year.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ruckus

I'm with you Dan.  I've always been surrounded by all things Jack White so I've kept a lot of it at arms length perhaps to be contrarian.  I'm actually a fan of Satan and the Raconteurs but stopped listenening to Dead Weather after two spins because it reminded me of Rage too much.  Dumb move on my part.  Really loving Blunderbuss.  Feels like I rediscovered his greatness after a.decade.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'm with you Dan.  I've always been surrounded by all things Jack White so I've kept a lot of it at arms length perhaps to be contrarian.  I'm actually a fan of Satan and the Raconteurs but stopped listenening to Dead Weather after two spins because it reminded me of Rage too much.  Dumb move on my part.  Really loving Blunderbuss.  Feels like I rediscovered his greatness after a.decade.
I've been listening to it for the past few days and I agree with both of you. I wish I had it on vinyl. That may be my next purchase. For the past few years, I've kept Jack at bay. I can't really say why, but I just haven't listened to his work. This new album has reawakened my interest in his music. I'm still pissed that I didn't get a ticket to see him at the Ryman in May.

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on Apr 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
I've been listening to it for the past few days and I agree with both of you. I wish I had it on vinyl. That may be my next purchase. For the past few years, I've kept Jack at bay. I can't really say why, but I just haven't listened to his work. This new album has reawakened my interest in his music. I'm still pissed that I didn't get a ticket to see him at the Ryman in May.
Truly an odd feeling to rediscover an artist that never went away.  From what I remember, the vinyl sounded real good.  We were blasting it in the background after we got home from GWAR last night ;D

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 22, 2012, 10:29 PM
Quote from: Fully on Apr 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
Truly an odd feeling to rediscover an artist that never went away.  From what I remember, the vinyl sounded real good.  We were blasting it in the background after we got home from GWAR last night ;D
Then I'm sure you must remember it well  ;) I'm not sure after celebrating my friend's birthday today that I'll remember this conversation tomorrow. But it is odd - the Jack White thing. I think I just took him for granted that he was always going to be good, and I stopped listening to him. I almost want to fork over the money to get a ticket from stub hub to see him, but I just don't/can't spend that much money on one show right now. Sixteen Saltines is pure White Stripes goodness. I loved the video of it too and I usually don't care about videos

Jaimoe

If the DW reminded me of Rage, I'd hate them. Thankfully, that's not the case. Can't wait to pick up Blunderbuss (at a local indie music store).

e_wind

Yeah, it's good. I've never been able to get into White in any form, until this.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

oistheone

Giving all you guys fair warning that live Jack experiences are the music industry equivalent of a gateway drug. An oh-so-delicious gateway drug. Beware!

Then again, we're all MMJ fans. We know the dangers of addictive live shows.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Listened to this on the headphones after the J Roddy/Deer Tick show last night. Some interesting things going on there.

Anywho... I think I stayed away from Jack White while I was in high school because I only knew of the White Stripes because of 7 Nation Army... and at the time I didn't really "get" it. Now that I have a better understanding of what that band was going for, I'm quickly getting into his side projects. Oddly enough, it was only about 3 or 4 months ago that I had even heard of that documentary "It Might Get Loud". I happened to watch it on cable a few weeks ago and Jack was far and away the most interesting guy on there. Looking forward to seeing him someday/somewhere.

e_wind

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
Listened to this on the headphones after the J Roddy/Deer Tick show last night. Some interesting things going on there.

Anywho... I think I stayed away from Jack White while I was in high school because I only knew of the White Stripes because of 7 Nation Army... and at the time I didn't really "get" it. Now that I have a better understanding of what that band was going for, I'm quickly getting into his side projects. Oddly enough, it was only about 3 or 4 months ago that I had even heard of that documentary "It Might Get Loud". I happened to watch it on cable a few weeks ago and Jack was far and away the most interesting guy on there. Looking forward to seeing him someday/somewhere.

Yeah that documentary was the first time I thought "whoa maybe I am missing something with Jack White."
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

YouAre_GivenToFly

Ruckus

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Interesting article on Mr White....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/jack-white-is-the-savviest-rock-star-of-our-time.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1
Yeah, Kate and I were discussing that article this weekend.  She came away disliking him even more as she already perceived him as a chronically self absorbed individual.  I'm not as bothered just because I figure most that are in the performing arts are.

Just to confirm for Fully, the vinyl sounds wonderful!

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 23, 2012, 02:43 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/jack-white-is-the-savviest-rock-star-of-our-time.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1
Yeah, Kate and I were discussing that article this weekend.  She came away disliking him even more as she already perceived him as a chronically self absorbed individual.  I'm not as bothered just because I figure most that are in the performing arts are.

I got really into WS right about the time Elephant came out.  Still think it's a masterpiece.   Snatched up as much as I could and they were my thing for a few months.  Something about JW started rubbing my the wrong way and I just lost interest in him.  Actually haven't listed to any of his projects since WS.  Looking forward to listening to this, though.

Ruckus

Yeah, Kate and I were discussing that article this weekend.  She came away disliking him even more as she already perceived him as a chronically self absorbed individual.  I'm not as bothered just because I figure most that are in the performing arts have to be to a certain extent.

I got really into WS right about the time Elephant came out.  Still think it's a masterpiece.   Snatched up as much as I could and they were my thing for a few months.  Something about JW started rubbing my the wrong way and I just lost interest in him.  Actually haven't listed to any of his projects since WS.  Looking forward to listening to this, though.

Ruckus

Oops.  I screwed up that edit. ;D  My good friend who was a Stripes fan from the beginning and swears by everything up to Elephant went the same way starting with Satan.  I still haven't heard his take on this album.

YouAre_GivenToFly

She's probably onto something there, but that's also what I took away from reading that Neil Young biography. Both Neil and Jack seemt to be incredibly intense, passionate, creative types who don't always get along with others. For Neil at least, the music always comes first, before anything. Sounds like it is a similar situation with Jack... his way or the highway.

That being said, "his way" has proven to be pretty awesome.

oistheone

It's easy to see how people could be put off by Jack's schtick, but those people are missing out on some damn good music! Glad you guys are giving him another chance.