Jack White solo album - Blunderbuss 4/24

Started by DewieCox, Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marino13

Maybe I have bad taste in music, but the Racs second album was my favorite album of 2008.  I wish they would do more together.  I ordered the new Jack White but haven't received it yet.  Wish I would have just picked it up somewhere, tired of waiting. 

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: marino13 on Apr 24, 2012, 02:23 PM
Maybe I have bad taste in music....

This is unlikely, considering where you are posting.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

jimsflyingv

Maybe I have bad taste in music, but the Racs second album was my favorite album of 2008.  I wish they would do more together.  I ordered the new Jack White but haven't received it yet.  Wish I would have just picked it up somewhere, tired of waiting.

Same here, although my favorite album of 2008 was "Evil Urges" :) but the Racs second album was one of favorite albums as well I liked "Carolina Drama" and "Top Yourself" best and still do, never really cared for anything of Dead Weather, White Stripes are still his best band

Penny Lane

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Apr 24, 2012, 03:48 PM

Same here, although my favorite album of 2008 was "Evil Urges" :) but the Racs second album was one of favorite albums as well I liked "Carolina Drama" and "Top Yourself" best and still do, never really cared for anything of Dead Weather, White Stripes are still his best band

i have bad taste as well..i loved it, too, and loved their show at bonnaroo---also love the Greenhornes and B Benson...POWER POP RULZZZZ
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MrWhippy

I must have really bad taste in music, as The Dead Weather is my favorite Jack White project. 

I really like The White Strips and The Raconteurs as well (particularly Consolers of the Lonely), but based on having seen all three bands live a few times, The Dead Weather has blown me away the most in that context.

Also, I wasn't really impressed with Blunderbuss on first listen.  It sounded to me like lots of good musical ideas, but with nothing really interesting to express behind them.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

bold992006

Quote from: MrWhippy on Apr 24, 2012, 05:38 PM
I must have really bad taste in music, as The Dead Weather is my favorite Jack White project. 

I really like The White Strips and The Raconteurs as well (particularly Consolers of the Lonely), but based on having seen all three bands live a few times, The Dead Weather has blown me away the most in that context.

Also, I wasn't really impressed with Blunderbuss on first listen.  It sounded to me like lots of good musical ideas, but with nothing really interesting to express behind them.

Nothing will ever touch the White Stripes for me.  Frankly I don't see how anyone can say that the Stripes are not the best thing Jack has done but I agree that the Dead Weather live was pretty awesome.  The addition of Allison is just a whole other fact.  she is a bonafide Rock Star...and put those two on the same stage there was some Magic there. 

I can only listen to Jack's Rac's songs which are not bad....but overall my least favorite thing he has done.

For this generation the Stripes are my favorite band.   they will always be.  Nothing even compares for me.  there was just something so special, so raw about them.  They also came into the picture at a time where music was so bad with boy bands and these really bad singer songwriters.  I would and have seen it compared to what Kurt Cobain did to Hair Metal.   I think the Stripes just came and gave music a nice punch in the face face.  Their live shows were mind blowing...especially early on.

bold992006

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 24, 2012, 07:20 AM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 23, 2012, 04:08 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Apr 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
It's easy to see how people could be put off by Jack's schtick, but those people are missing out on some damn good music! Glad you guys are giving him another chance.

i also feel like people give him a pass---i probably love half the stuff he's done and the other half is unlistenable...but because it's Jack White, he could record screechy tires and clank forks together and people would eat it up...(feel the same about Thom Yorke to some extent)..

yeah the only thing I think he's got a pass for is the Rac's.  that is by far his worst band.  Pretty much everything else he's been involved in is pretty stellar.

I think he's very much like Dylan.  Their is a mythology about him...you can't take everything he says or does at face value...but he always keeps it interesting and he's unpredictable.  That is what I love most about him.

i think Jack creates that mythology whereas Dylan never went out of his way to do that...although as times were changing, i guess Dylan didn't have to...his ideas were bold and revolutionary..Jack def marches to his own beat and does what he wants but there's a bit of manufactured mystique there in my opinion.

I tend to agree, although chalk some of this up to this being a different/modern era with all the trappings. Jack's whole look with the White Stripes was by design - as we know, inspired greatly by upholstery and furniture. His love of Dylan, country, folk, punk and the blues is genuine. You can't fake any of it (especially blues), although many have tried and failed. We're lucky to have Jim James and Jack out there making music.

I agree.  There just is no faking it with Jack.   Dylan was the same way but I think they both just had this plan in their minds.   A way to just keep something interesting and keep people guessing.  I remember when people would say that the Stripes red and white thing was just a gimmick....but the bottom line is those things don't last if the music doesn't hold up and with the Stripes it completely did.   They were just so unique.   I really really miss this band.

oistheone

Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 24, 2012, 06:07 PMNothing will ever touch the White Stripes for me.  Frankly I don't see how anyone can say that the Stripes are not the best thing Jack has done but I agree that the Dead Weather live was pretty awesome.  The addition of Allison is just a whole other fact.  she is a bonafide Rock Star...and put those two on the same stage there was some Magic there. 

I can only listen to Jack's Rac's songs which are not bad....but overall my least favorite thing he has done.

For this generation the Stripes are my favorite band.   they will always be.  Nothing even compares for me.  there was just something so special, so raw about them.  They also came into the picture at a time where music was so bad with boy bands and these really bad singer songwriters.  I would and have seen it compared to what Kurt Cobain did to Hair Metal.   I think the Stripes just came and gave music a nice punch in the face face.  Their live shows were mind blowing...especially early on.

Amen!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 24, 2012, 03:57 AM
It's easy to see how people could be put off by Jack's schtick, but those people are missing out on some damn good music! Glad you guys are giving him another chance.

i also feel like people give him a pass---i probably love half the stuff he's done and the other half is unlistenable...but because it's Jack White, he could record screechy tires and clank forks together and people would eat it up...(feel the same about Thom Yorke to some extent)..

I think this is a pretty good point. I personally think the Dead Weather stuff is garbage-meh territory for the most part, but I know others (here and elsewhere) love it. I think the Raconteurs albums are good enough, but considering the sound and JW was involved, they arent quite as good as expected. And while I like them, its probably been 3 years or so since I spun either so thats a testament in itself.

....Really like the new album so far. I think its hands down the best JW-associated album outside of TWS albums to date. To figure out how good, its needs a few more listens so the lyrics can sink in.

agreed..the new album is great...i never liked The Dead Weather but then again, little too rough for me and like Jaimoe said, Racont are power-pop, which i like, so of course i'm gonna like it..

Raconteurs > Dead Weather
I would never call Raconteurs power pop, maybe a few of the more popular songs that's it. I viewed them more as a contemporary classic rock band. If you only heard the songs on the radio without hearing the whole albums it's really a disservice to call them power pop.

Agreed and agreed, although after reading Jaimoe's response to this post, I remembered I only have Consolers of the Lonely and not their first one, so that stance might have a little more credence. After listening to clips of it now, I can see that angle, as the first album sounds a lot different.

I think my last post came off like I didnt like what Ive heard from Raconteurs, but thats not the case. I guess I cant speak for the 1st one, but I think Consolers is very good. I just didnt think they sniffed TWS, whereas this solo album I think starts to approach that territory.

And despite me thinking Dead Weather sucks, it appears as many like them more than the Raconteurs, so Ill just chalk that up to Jack White being greatness.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Apr 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
We're lucky to have Jim James and Jack out there making music.
Jim James, Jack White and Dan Auerbach !!!!!!

Jim James, Jack White, Dan Auerbach, and J Roddy Walston!!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Apr 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
We're lucky to have Jim James and Jack out there making music.
Jim James, Jack White and Dan Auerbach !!!!!!

Jim James, Jack White, Dan Auerbach, and J Roddy Walston!!!

Preach on, brother.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 24, 2012, 08:42 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 24, 2012, 03:57 AM

I think this is a pretty good point. I personally think the Dead Weather stuff is garbage-meh territory for the most part, but I know others (here and elsewhere) love it. I think the Raconteurs albums are good enough, but considering the sound and JW was involved, they arent quite as good as expected. And while I like them, its probably been 3 years or so since I spun either so thats a testament in itself.

....Really like the new album so far. I think its hands down the best JW-associated album outside of TWS albums to date. To figure out how good, its needs a few more listens so the lyrics can sink in.

agreed..the new album is great...i never liked The Dead Weather but then again, little too rough for me and like Jaimoe said, Racont are power-pop, which i like, so of course i'm gonna like it..

Raconteurs > Dead Weather
I would never call Raconteurs power pop, maybe a few of the more popular songs that's it. I viewed them more as a contemporary classic rock band. If you only heard the songs on the radio without hearing the whole albums it's really a disservice to call them power pop.

Agreed and agreed, although after reading Jaimoe's response to this post, I remembered I only have Consolers of the Lonely and not their first one, so that stance might have a little more credence. After listening to clips of it now, I can see that angle, as the first album sounds a lot different.

I think my last post came off like I didnt like what Ive heard from Raconteurs, but thats not the case. I guess I cant speak for the 1st one, but I think Consolers is very good. I just didnt think they sniffed TWS, whereas this solo album I think starts to approach that territory.

And despite me thinking Dead Weather sucks, it appears as many like them more than the Raconteurs, so Ill just chalk that up to Jack White being greatness.

Both Raconteurs albums are good. I liked the first Dead Weather, the second one not as much.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Jack White was trying to be Dexter Romweber but didn't have the soul, so he had to create gimmick. And I like Jack White but Dexter is the real deal.

Flat Duo Jets
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Eweezy

Just like most of you I too love all things Jack White.  Blunderbuss is incredible.  Love the whole thing from top to bottom.  Listening to it the other day and reading the lyrics couldn't help me think that the song Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy sounds like it is for Meg.  That is just the way I took it.  Does anybody else think that or know for a fact if the song is about Meg?  Trash Tongue Talker and Missing Pieces might be my favorites right now, but that could change by tomorrow.  Also Brendan Benson rules and his new album "What Kind of World" is killer.  The only thing sad about Jack and Brendan's albums coming out the same time is that we might have to wait a little longer for another Raconteur album.  :(
Yikes!

EasyRyder

Quote from: Eweezy on Apr 25, 2012, 06:15 AM
Just like most of you I too love all things Jack White.  Blunderbuss is incredible.  Love the whole thing from top to bottom.  Listening to it the other day and reading the lyrics couldn't help me think that the song Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy sounds like it is for Meg.  That is just the way I took it.  Does anybody else think that or know for a fact if the song is about Meg?  Trash Tongue Talker and Missing Pieces might be my favorites right now, but that could change by tomorrow.  Also Brendan Benson rules and his new album "What Kind of World" is killer.  The only thing sad about Jack and Brendan's albums coming out the same time is that we might have to wait a little longer for another Raconteur album.  :(

I had that same feeling about Hip Eponymous too:

And you'll be watching me girl
Taking over the world
let the stripes unfurl
Getting rich singing poor boy,
Poor boy

Is that the right lyric?
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

tbear

I also love all things Jack. The White Stripes, Recouteurs and The DW: I was lucky enough to see them all on multiple occasions and was blown away each and every-time. I will admit, however, that only The White Stripes albums are still amongst my most played. The others, not so much. (Except for "Carolina Drama" off of the Recounteurs "Consolers of the Lonely", which, for whatever reason, has become an all-time favorite song for me.)

Have not gotten Blunderbuss yet!!!!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Jack White was trying to be Dexter Romweber but didn't have the soul, so he had to create gimmick. And I like Jack White but Dexter is the real deal.

Flat Duo Jets

Jack White hasn't exactly tried to hide his influences, and has praised Flat Duo Jets and even rereleased a Flat Duo Jets album on his label. FDJ to me sound way more rockabilly than anything White Stripes ever did. Sure he borrows stuff from other artists but a lot of artists do that. Even Kurt Cobain said Nirvana was just trying to be like the Pixies.

This sounds like a more obvious influence here:
Ragtime Guitar : BLIND WILLIE MCTELL . " Southern Can Is Mine " (1931)
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

bold992006

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 25, 2012, 11:02 PM

Flat Duo Jets

Jack White hasn't exactly tried to hide his influences, and has praised Flat Duo Jets and even rereleased a Flat Duo Jets album on his label. FDJ to me sound way more rockabilly than anything White Stripes ever did. Sure he borrows stuff from other artists but a lot of artists do that. Even Kurt Cobain said Nirvana was just trying to be like the Pixies.

I agree.  Jack has never hid the fact that he is heavily influenced.  He loved Dexter too but I think his thing reaches far beyond that.   Early Blues, Zeppelin, The Stooges, Punk, Country, Dylan...etc are all in there but he has his own sound.   That is what makes him so great.

I think this new album kind of shows all of those sides in the best way possible.   I've been waiting for him to do a solo album for a long time and I think it was well worth the wait.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 25, 2012, 11:20 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 25, 2012, 11:02 PM

Flat Duo Jets

I agree.  Jack has never hid the fact that he is heavily influenced.  He loved Dexter too but I think his thing reaches far beyond that.   Early Blues, Zeppelin, The Stooges, Punk, Country, Dylan...etc are all in there but he has his own sound.   That is what makes him so great.

I think this new album kind of shows all of those sides in the best way possible.   I've been waiting for him to do a solo album for a long time and I think it was well worth the wait.

yeah, I was mainly talking about when the White Stripes came about and were all decked out in candy stripes and what not. But I am sort of old school like that, ya know? Not a lot of flash, just passion. Sort of like Bowie during the days of Ziggy; no flash, no glam, just straight rock.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.