Newport Folk Festival 2012: July 28 & July 29

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 02, 2012, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

I don't think there's a thread started for this yet.

Early bird tickets are on sale today for $110 / 2 day pass.   Organizers promise that this will be the cheapest price available ever.   Sale ends tomorrow, via ticketmaster, password NEWFOLK.

Lineup to be announced in late Feb.   

I'm in for sure- can safely say that this will be a highlight unless the lineup SEVERELY disappoints.   09, 10, and 11 lineups were all killer and I'll be happy with anything close to that.   I also think there's a good chance of a YY solo set.

Jane

with not going to forecastle i'm holding out for an attractive Newport lineup. i went in 2010 for the first time and had a great time. probably one of the best festvials i've been to.

headhunter

mrs. headhunter and I have been to NFF often over the past 20 years and have seen Jim there both times.  If he will be there in 2012, we will be there again for sure.

Waiting for the lineup to hit but there's a good chance we will be going again since we missed last year.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

bold992006

Lineup will be stellar as always.  I missed out on Early Bird because of work but I'm going for sure.  Already booked the Newport Harbor Hotel.  Last year was incredible.  In two nights at the Newport Blues Cafe which is a pretty small bar I saw sets from Trampled by Turtles, Felice Brothers, Dawes, Jonny Corndawg, Middle Brothers and Deer Tick who hosted..and M Ward joined Deer Tick on stage.  It was incredible..probably my highlight of 2011.  Nevermind the actual festival which is great.

also my friend Steve from kitchensessions.net does the promo video for Newport and I'm in the one this year.  There will be a lineup announcement party with some of the bands this year like last year soon...It was in Cambridge, MA last year.

Northern Neighbour

Since we won't be going to Forecastle, I think we will try to make Newport.  Never been, but I've been told by many people, including Headhunter, that this is a great festival.

headhunter

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Since we won't be going to Forecastle, I think we will try to make Newport.  Never been, but I've been told by many people, including Headhunter, that this is a great festival.

Yes, I think it is my absolute favorite Festival.  No other seems to have the same fun, relaxed vibe.  And the lineup is never disappointing.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

YouAre_GivenToFly

I went in 2010 and it was an absolute joy. Dying to make it back at some point, but with Forecastle it looks like its not in the cards for 2012.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

e_wind

I may try to do this. Right now I'm planning on 5 other 2012 festivals. If I do this I may be going three weekends in a row to different festivals. Could be tough but I've always wanted to try it out.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

bold992006

Newport has the best vibe...I love the setup and taking the boat taxi over is just so amazing.  Can't wait for this year. 

mahg33ta

Quote from: bold992006 on Feb 02, 2012, 01:47 PM
Newport has the best vibe...I love the setup and taking the boat taxi over is just so amazing.  Can't wait for this year.

I am very excited too.   I can't wait to see the lineup.    If you hear anything about where the release party is, let me know.   It'd be fun to make that.    I'll get booed off the board the Forecastle thread, but I'm as excited to see who is playing here as I am that festival.

Jane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 02, 2012, 01:53 PM
I am very excited too.   I can't wait to see the lineup.    If you hear anything about where the release party is, let me know.   It'd be fun to make that.    I'll get booed off the board the Forecastle thread, but I'm as excited to see who is playing here as I am that festival.

true dat. forecastle is a no go for me so newport is looking quite nice. i stayed about 20 minutes away from the festival in 2010 and it worked out well. I found the hotels in Newport out of my price range.

I agree with you Headhunter. Probably my favorite festival and this is coming from someone who went to 3 bonnaroos.

bold992006

Quote from: bold992006 on Feb 02, 2012, 01:47 PM

I'm going to Forecastle and Hangout and I'm am just as excited for this.   Make sure you check out the late night stuff too..it was amazing last year.   I have a friend who I mentioned earlier...he got hired by Newport to do the videos..he did the lineup announcement video and the promo so he will give me the info on the release party.  last year David Wax..Brown Bird and a few others played.  I think the lineup will be really strong this year.

My friend also had the "Official Newport Afterparty" and I believe he will again this year...lot going on after the fest is over.

bold992006

Quote from: Jane on Feb 02, 2012, 03:29 PM

true dat. forecastle is a no go for me so newport is looking quite nice. i stayed about 20 minutes away from the festival in 2010 and it worked out well. I found the hotels in Newport out of my price range.

I agree with you Headhunter. Probably my favorite festival and this is coming from someone who went to 3 bonnaroos.

I stayed in a hotel a little bit away last year and some previous years....the only thing that makes it not worth it is there are NO taxi's in Newport.  Last year after the Deer Tick bar show we got stranded for like 2 hours trying to get a cab back to our hotel which was less than 2 miles away.  So this year I sucked it up and booked an expensive hotel.  My wallet will not like it but I had to do it after last year.

wolof7

Baring any tragedy Mrs. Wolof and I will be in for sure...we try to never miss it considering we live 30 mins away... :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mahg33ta

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
....considering we live 30 mins away... :thumbsup:

I just solved my lodging problem

wolof7

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 02, 2012, 06:52 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
....considering we live 30 mins away... :thumbsup:

I just solved my lodging problem

Ha, nice do you like air matresses? ahhh i'll start lining up the tequila shots, it won't matter.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Northern Neighbour

The wife said she would be interested in going to this festival, so pretty positive we'll be coming.

mahg33ta

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 03, 2012, 12:12 PM
The wife said she would be interested in going to this festival, so pretty positive we'll be coming.

Nice!  It'll be good to see you again.   My wife and kids are joining for one day, and I'll do the other "solo".   Waiting for the schedule to figure out which is which.

I'll start a Roll Call once the lineup is announced.   I'm hoping at that point we can move this thread from "other music" to "the shows"   ;) ;)

Northern Neighbour

Yeah, it would be great to see you Mahg and others.  There's also a couple in the Newport area that Carol and I met at the Jacket show in Montreal, and I'll have to connect with them.

Anyway, grateful for any advice on where to stay.

Not sure if we'll drive or fly.  It's about an 8-hour drive from Ottawa to Rhode Island.  Alternatively, we could fly to Boston or Providence and hire a car for the weekend. 

Can't wait to see the lineup.  I stuck between buying tickets now or waiting until the lineup is released at the end of the month.

mahg33ta

The lineup is being released next Wed night at a party in Cambridge.   Info on their facebook page.

I saw on another thread that Bold99 is going.   I have 2 tix also and hope to be there if I can juggle around some work stuff.   If not I hope he gives us live updates!!

Lineup to be released midnight 3/1.   I can't see YY not on it, but wonder if it will be solo, MoF, or New Multitudes.