Jobs thread

Started by mbuha, Feb 09, 2012, 08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbuha

Hey

Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with this...

I got a business degree, bc I wasn't really thinking. Its what my dad does, and in college I was more interested in other things and playing hockey.

Now I want to puke when I think about a corporate job, or some mundane cubical monkey job, sales, marketing, or any of that crap.

I worked for a year in a half after college and quit my job.  Now I'm totally lost. 

I live in St. Louis, but would be up for moving a lot of places.

I feel like most jobs you have to sell your soul and let it take over who you are... now I wish I could just play in a band or be some traveling gypsy, but how do you do that with loads of debt from college.  I'm losing my mind I think.  I live in my grandmas basement, and its killing me.  I might as well be 80 years old.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I'm 25, with a corporate cubicle job. It's challenging, sometimes rewarding, and with a great company, but not at all what I want to be doing... not even close. I know I'm incredibly lucky to have a job, but once my college loans are paid off I don't see myself sticking to the corporate/business world.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mbuha on Feb 09, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hey

Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with this...

I got a business degree, bc I wasn't really thinking. Its what my dad does, and in college I was more interested in other things and playing hockey.

Now I want to puke when I think about a corporate job, or some mundane cubical monkey job, sales, marketing, or any of that crap.

I worked for a year in a half after college and quit my job.  Now I'm totally lost. 

I live in St. Louis, but would be up for moving a lot of places.

I feel like most jobs you have to sell your soul and let it take over who you are... now I wish I could just play in a band or be some traveling gypsy, but how do you do that with loads of debt from college.  I'm losing my mind I think.  I live in my grandmas basement, and its killing me.  I might as well be 80 years old.

Most people have no idea who they are or what they like doing until they're about 35 years old so don't feel bad. You're just as confused as everyone else your age with a brain and an imagination. And just because you have a business degree, doesn't mean you have to go into business. Half the people out there have degrees in something not related to their field.

My advice is to stop thinking in extremes and focus on the present. Gaining some independence from your grandmother's basement for one, finding some steady income and save some money to get out of there or make a move; if you WANT to pursue music as a career, take small steps towards that. Just because you have a 9 to 5 doesn't mean you're soulless or brain dead. And just because you're a musician doesn't mean you have to be destitute or some traveling gypsy.

Take a deep breath. Everything is okay. You're still young and you have excellent taste in music. Welcome to the forum.  :) ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

That is some damn good advice, PL.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Penny Lane

Quote from: ALady on Feb 09, 2012, 11:07 PM
That is some damn good advice, PL.

Thank you! Because as I was typing it, I was thinking God I'd give anything right now to move back home and live in my grandmother's basement...how awesome would that be....free internet, no sirens, my (still alive in my hypothetical) grandmother puts homecooked food on the dumbwaiter and sends down.. ...but I digress .. ;)

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 09, 2012, 10:35 PM
Most people have no idea who they are or what they like doing until they're about 35 years old so don't feel bad.

or 45  ;)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 09, 2012, 10:35 PM
Most people have no idea who they are or what they like doing until they're about 35 years old so don't feel bad.

or 45  ;)

sounds even righter!

aMillionDreams

I have a master's degree that I'm not using and still paying for, but I'm happy.  Follow your heart.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Jaimoe

You could look into a career in ethical businesses or those socially enriching, enabling you to work with your soul intact. These job areas are booming, at least they are in Toronto (my town) and I bet in any major progressive-minded US city such as New York, San Fran, Chicago, Seattle etc...

Hawkeye

You're not alone, mbuha!  Just don't stop dreamin'.  Do what you need to do, day-to-day, but like PL said, make small steps towards what you really want.
We could.

ALady

I think that's really the key - nothing is gonna happen overnight, but start on small, achievable goals and bigger things will start happening.

Best of luck mbuha!   You're gonna be all right.  :thumbsup:
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

crazylove

I'm probably the oldest person on the forum(yet unbelievably hip and young at heart, right, peeps?) and I JUST found what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.
Don't worry about it so much, just find something to make some money. You don't have to sell your soul, just go into work, do your job and then leave(also keep your mouth shut and don't get involved in any workplace drama).
All of the expierences you have(good and bad) will lead you to your own personal greatness! Try to find joy in something you do everyday.
And you are so lucky to still have a Grandma who will let you live in her basement, be kind to her, you'll be thankful you were many years down the road.
Believe me, I know first hand, everything happens for a reason and it really will work out!
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

Jaimoe

Quote from: crazylove on Feb 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
I'm probably the oldest person on the forum(yet unbelievably hip and young at heart, right, peeps?) and I JUST found what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.
Don't worry about it so much, just find something to make some money. You don't have to sell your soul, just go into work, do your job and then leave(also keep your mouth shut and don't get involved in any workplace drama).
All of the expierences you have(good and bad) will lead you to your own personal greatness! Try to find joy in something you do everyday.
And you are so lucky to still have a Grandma who will let you live in her basement, be kind to her, you'll be thankful you were many years down the road.
Believe me, I know first hand, everything happens for a reason and it really will work out!

I don't believe in God or religion, but bless you.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 10, 2012, 09:29 PM
Quote from: crazylove on Feb 10, 2012, 05:25 PM

I don't believe in God or religion, but bless you.
I second this.  Crazy, I've never met you but I want to hug you! :) :-*
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head