Jim James and Jay Farrar of Son Volt Woody Guthrie album

Started by jimsflyingv, Feb 17, 2012, 02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimsflyingv

Hello, long time reader first time poster, sorry did not find anything about this so I thought it would be nice to share:

"I found myself not aware of the California connection at the time I was going through and looking at those lyrics," Farrar said of his exploration of the Guthrie archives that resulted in New Multitudes, his new album with My Morning Jacket's Jim James. "I guess that was an especially creative time for him, and I was drawn to the things he was thinking about at that time."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jay-farrar-and-jim-james-discover-woody-guthries-california-in-new-album-20120216#ixzz1mcjUjSO9
----
Both of the songs referenced by Nora Guthrie are found on the expanded version of "New Multitudes," which Rounder Records will release on Feb. 28.
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jay-farrar-and-jim-james-discover-woody-guthries-california-in-new-album-20120216#ixzz1mck70RzH 

mahg33ta

....James took up the bass guitar and considered sticking with it upon returning to My Morning Jacket.....

HUH?!?!?!  :o :o

ralph

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
....James took up the bass guitar and considered sticking with it upon returning to My Morning Jacket.....

two prong bass attack! Well, it worked for Ned's Atomic Dustbin.  ;)
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

zanjam

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 17, 2012, 09:24 AM

My thoughts exactly. 
anything + reverb always = better

Fully

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Feb 17, 2012, 02:59 AM
Hello, long time reader first time poster, sorry did not find anything about this so I thought it would be nice to share:

"I found myself not aware of the California connection at the time I was going through and looking at those lyrics," Farrar said of his exploration of the Guthrie archives that resulted in New Multitudes, his new album with My Morning Jacket's Jim James. "I guess that was an especially creative time for him, and I was drawn to the things he was thinking about at that time."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jay-farrar-and-jim-james-discover-woody-guthries-california-in-new-album-20120216#ixzz1mcjUjSO9
----
Both of the songs referenced by Nora Guthrie are found on the expanded version of "New Multitudes," which Rounder Records will release on Feb. 28.
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jay-farrar-and-jim-james-discover-woody-guthries-california-in-new-album-20120216#ixzz1mck70RzH

Welcome to the nonlurker world! And this is a great first post!

Im The Dude

7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Running Oz

Overall a Jay Farrar project but he sounds revived, which is a very, very good thing; the first nine tracks are strong (all I had time to take in this afternoon) and Jim's vocal on track six, Talking Empty Bed Blues, is gonna remind folks of bygone days.  He's got the lead on My Revolutionary Mind so far as well.
Is there a Doctor in the house tonight?
Waterfront Park '08, KFC Yum Center '10, The Palace '11

headhunter

Quote from: Im The Dude on Feb 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Anyone else pre order the vinyl?

Yep for me.  Listening to the stream now but I will still feel "like a virgin" until I hear it on vinyl.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Dillsnufus

i didn't pre order the vinyl but so far listening to the stream i may have to pick it up. tho the remastered pf wall comes out the same day too.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

sweatboard

So Changing World was the song Jim played with just bass at that X-mas show

I really, really like it.

I could do without Jay.  I've never been able to get into his voice or his style.
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

thanks for the link,  I LOVE My Revolutionary Mind.

The melody is very similar to Wonderful. 
There's Still Time.........

mahg33ta

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
The melody is very similar to Wonderful.

my first thought too, was coming here to post that

bluesky

Jim and Will singing together on Chorine is so good ; Jim duets are the best when he does them with another dude....  :) :)

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
So Changing World was the song Jim played with just bass at that X-mas show

He also played it at Stubb's at the ACL aftershow on 9/18/11.

Yim Yames Performs "Change" Live at Stubbs BBQ for his ACL Aftershow
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Penny Lane

i absolutely LOVE Will and Jim's harmonizing on Chorine...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

bluesky

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 21, 2012, 09:19 PM

Affirmative! Up there with the song they performed live together during Monsters of Folk. I believe it was on the Austin City Limits broadcast and possibly a Will song. Wish we had a recording of that...

Penny Lane

Quote from: bluesky on Feb 21, 2012, 10:16 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 21, 2012, 09:19 PM

Affirmative! Up there with the song they performed live together during Monsters of Folk. I believe it was on the Austin City Limits broadcast and possibly a Will song. Wish we had a recording of that...

was it Just to know that you've been dreaming? (off of Vultures Await?) i think tbd knew it..i remember posting it on FB.

Penny Lane

Im The Dude

Quote from: headhunter on Feb 21, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quote from: Im The Dude on Feb 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Anyone else pre order the vinyl?

Yep for me.  Listening to the stream now but I will still feel "like a virgin" until I hear it on vinyl.

I knew you would Headhunter! I ordered mine sunday. I'll wait till it comes then put it on for a spin.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11