Jim James and Jay Farrar of Son Volt Woody Guthrie album

Started by jimsflyingv, Feb 17, 2012, 02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcoyote

I just swung through my local shop and saw that they had the single disc for $8.99 and the vinyl for $19.99.  I would have appreciated the deluxe vinyl option.  It seems that would be a great way to showcase the booklet. 

mahg33ta

It is $3.99 on Amazon  :D :D  seems too cheap

rincon

It is a double album on Rhapsody. Sounds effin great.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ChiefOKONO

just got it!! Great deal!! probably will be for today only.
I think i'll get the deluxe cd later on....

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 28, 2012, 07:16 AM
It is $3.99 on Amazon  :D :D  seems too cheap

Fully

I've been listening to "My Revolutionary Mind" over and over again. Best $3.99 I've ever spent.

Penny Lane

I love the Will/Jim song + Anders stuff on here, but overall kinda disappointed in this album..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jcoyote

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
I love the Will/Jim song + Anders stuff on here, but overall kinda disappointed in this album..

Penny Lane, are you a Jay Farrar fan?  I've got most of his solo stuff, not "Gob Iron," and most of his Son Volt stuff, even though I don't listen to it much.  His live CD/DVD combo is very good.  I'm just asking, not judging.  If you don't like one of the vocalists, it could ruin the experience, and I noticed you listed all but him.  I hated that Bright Eyes ACL show, with the exception of Jim's duet on "Golden."  I did not even know who MMJ was then!!  However, I do like his contributions on MOF.  Obviously I'm referring to Conor.

As mentioned above, one of my local shops has the single disc for $8.99 and another has the double disc for $21.99.  I found the vinyl for $16.99 yesterday.  The cds were on sale, but not the vinyl (?)

Anyway, called back today and asked them if they had it on sale.  Trying to get them to realize it is moronic to have the cd on sale, not the vinyl.  Hoping to talk w/ a manager, etc.  Gave them "New Multitudes" name, "Jay Farrarr", and "Yim Yames."  "Nope."  He said "We did not get anything."  He had no idea what I was talking about.  I would blame the computer, but I also blame him for not knowing new releases.  And we continue to shop there?  This place was a true indie store back in the 80s-90s.  I took some cds in there for trade not long ago, and they are under the corporate umbella, Musicland, etc. 

Anyway, I am trying to decide whether I should pick up the double cd for $20 or buy the vinyl for $16.99.  Is this vinyl quality going to make me tear up, like At Dawn did?  'Cause I did.  Really.  Or, is this "eh" sounding and I should pick up the cds? 

Thanks!!!!

wheelhousetunes

Funny, I think Jay's stuff on it is easily the strongest.

Penny Lane

Quote from: jcoyote on Feb 29, 2012, 02:24 PM

Penny Lane, are you a Jay Farrar fan?  I've got most of his solo stuff, not "Gob Iron," and most of his Son Volt stuff, even though I don't listen to it much.  His live CD/DVD combo is very good.  I'm just asking, not judging.  If you don't like one of the vocalists, it could ruin the experience, and I noticed you listed all but him.  I hated that Bright Eyes ACL show, with the exception of Jim's duet on "Golden."  I did not even know who MMJ was then!!  However, I do like his contributions on MOF.  Obviously I'm referring to Conor.

As mentioned above, one of my local shops has the single disc for $8.99 and another has the double disc for $21.99.  I found the vinyl for $16.99 yesterday.  The cds were on sale, but not the vinyl (?)

Anyway, called back today and asked them if they had it on sale.  Trying to get them to realize it is moronic to have the cd on sale, not the vinyl.  Hoping to talk w/ a manager, etc.  Gave them "New Multitudes" name, "Jay Farrarr", and "Yim Yames."  "Nope."  He said "We did not get anything."  He had no idea what I was talking about.  I would blame the computer, but I also blame him for not knowing new releases.  And we continue to shop there?  This place was a true indie store back in the 80s-90s.  I took some cds in there for trade not long ago, and they are under the corporate umbella, Musicland, etc. 

Anyway, I am trying to decide whether I should pick up the double cd for $20 or buy the vinyl for $16.99.  Is this vinyl quality going to make me tear up, like At Dawn did?  'Cause I did.  Really.  Or, is this "eh" sounding and I should pick up the cds? 

Thanks!!!!

I love most all Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt, but I don't  have any of his solo stuff. I am a big Jay Farrar fan, I just don't like the harmonizing with Jim on this album. I like Jim and Will's voices together a lot better. The album is a grower I can tell, but the only stuff that hit me from the get go was Anders and the Will/Jim set. (maybe it's because I was already crazy about those two singing together, I like the groggy deep and falsetto) Jay's voice is very distinct and monotone but I still love it and it's the basis for what we all know as alt country (as much as Gram Parsons' is).

I'll check out his solo stuff, great post, thank you!

mahg33ta

so far I am loving it.   Trying to be objective, but think it's very strong.   Early favs Hoping Machine, VD City, Chorine, Careless Reckless, Talking Empty Bed, Changing World. 

headhunter

Got my vinyl copy in the mail today.
Will listen tonight and report back tomorrow.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Penny Lane

Holy smokes, listening to the Jay Farrar songs from the second disc--I love them?

Especially "I was a goner"...why isn't this another album or why didn't some of these songs make the cut?

ChiefOKONO

just to confirm, on the 2nd disc Farrar sings all the songs right?

Im The Dude

Quote from: headhunter on Feb 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
Got my vinyl copy in the mail today.
Will listen tonight and report back tomorrow.

I got mine today. It sounds good. It'll grow on me. Is the second disc worth getting?
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

johnnYYac

Finally got the 2-CD version.  Listening to Disc 1 now. 

I notice on my media player that for every song, composer credit lists Woody Guthrie 2nd EXCEPT for the three tracks Jim did, where he is listed 2nd to Woody (as Yim Yames).  I wonder if Jim requested this, out of respect for Woody as the lyricist.

Might this effect how the tracks are listed/searced on some of the streaming players- Spotify, Napster, Pandora?  In other words, a search for My Revolutionary Mind might show as a Woody Guthrie track instead of a Yim track.  Just wonderin'.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 05, 2012, 03:43 PM
Finally got the 2-CD version.  Listening to Disc 1 now. 

I notice on my media player that for every song, composer credit lists Woody Guthrie 2nd EXCEPT for the three tracks Jim did, where he is listed 2nd to Woody (as Yim Yames).  I wonder if Jim requested this, out of respect for Woody as the lyricist.

Might this effect how the tracks are listed/searced on some of the streaming players- Spotify, Napster, Pandora?  In other words, a search for My Revolutionary Mind might show as a Woody Guthrie track instead of a Yim track.  Just wonderin'.

That's strange because on Itunes the only thing that pops up is Jay Farrar's name when you look at the artist section. I bought it digitally from Amazon. When I first got it, I thought that was very egotistical not to list anyone else's name. Of course, it could be that was something the record company did and didn't think anyone would notice.

rincon

I bought the vinyl yesterday. Only the second vinyl I have purchased since the 80's. It sounds flawless not a pop to be heard. My last vinyl purchase was Circuital, which has a lot of crackles and pops. I got mine signed by all four guys. Even bought a second copy they all signed. BTW, if they do another signing, keep in mind they do not sign anything from their respective careers, so leave your MMJ stuff at home.

ralph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
Quote from: jcoyote on Feb 29, 2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks!!!!

I love most all Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt, but I don't  have any of his solo stuff. I am a big Jay Farrar fan, I just don't like the harmonizing with Jim on this album. I like Jim and Will's voices together a lot better. The album is a grower I can tell, but the only stuff that hit me from the get go was Anders and the Will/Jim set. (maybe it's because I was already crazy about those two singing together, I like the groggy deep and falsetto) Jay's voice is very distinct and monotone but I still love it and it's the basis for what we all know as alt country (as much as Gram Parsons' is).

I'll check out his solo stuff, great post, thank you!

I'm a big, big Farrar fan. Pretty much love everything he has done.  Never took sides in the Tweedy/Farrar 'feud' and reckon he holds his own against Tweedy as a song writer.

Of Jays 'solo' stuff I'd head straight for Sebastopol.  Its a cracking record. After the UT records & Trace its probably the best thing Farrar has his name to.  And the One Fast Move collaboration with Ben Gibbard from a few years ago is pretty bloody great too. And the last few Son Volt records stand up to repeated listenings too.

On this new record I'm stuck on Hoping Machine at the moment. Damn, its a fine tune...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Penny Lane

Quote from: ralph on Mar 13, 2012, 07:36 AM

On this new record I'm stuck on Hoping Machine at the moment. Damn, its a fine tune...

I concur...that song is the standout..