Governors Ball Music Fest, Randalls Island

Started by Murph, Feb 21, 2012, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

The lineup was announced today and it's definitely nothing to write home about, but since you can buy single day tickets I think Ill definitely be attending on Sunday:

Beck
Modest Mouse
Explosions in the Sky
Built To Spill
Devendra Banhart
Alberta Cross

....not too shabby

http://govball-govballticketing.eventbrite.com/

mahg33ta

Murph

Yours and mine both.  I was really hoping Beck and Modest Mouse would be on the same day, but figured they would split them up and have each as a headliner.  Works out much better this way though  :thumbsup:

el_chode

Yeah sunday's lineup isn't bad, but not worth $100 to me. Built to Spill is phenomenal live (but didn't they "retire" after that last album?), but Modest Mouse put on one of the most boring shows I've ever seen and I walked out of it. I've also lost all interest in Beck since Snooze Change
I'm surrounded by assholes

Murph

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
Yeah sunday's lineup isn't bad, but not worth $100 to me. Built to Spill is phenomenal live (but didn't they "retire" after that last album?), but Modest Mouse put on one of the most boring shows I've ever seen and I walked out of it. I've also lost all interest in Beck since Snooze Change

..dont tell me that.  I really love Modest Mouse and have yet to see them live.

el_chode

Quote from: Murph on Feb 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Feb 21, 2012, 09:14 PM

..dont tell me that.  I really love Modest Mouse and have yet to see them live.

Me too, I was most disappointed. It was after Good News came out, so if it's any consolation, the show was some time ago now. But the band just sat there, ran through the new songs, no energy, no effort - I think it was Cowboy Dan that I walked out on too because it just was slow and unenthusiastic. It was the Nokia theater in Times Square.

The crowd was 10x worse, not sure if that is why. Either the band made the crowd blah or vice-versa, but there were a ton of emo teenagers with front mullets who stood there, too emo to show emotion during the show.

And to boot, I was with my friend who worked at Epic Records at the time. He started the "let's leave" conversation.
I'm surrounded by assholes

APR

I saw Modest Mouse on their 2009 tour and it was probably the loudest shows I have ever attended.  Maybe because there were a ton of band members including two drummers. They sounded great.  The lead singer was angry and was singing mad.  I'm not too familiar with them so maybe that is how he always is.  I would definitely see them again..  I'm tempted to travel to NY for this because Explosions in the Sky are great too!  I'm waiting to see who comes around closer to DC for what would likely be for a smaller club show.