Main Menu

RIP Davy Jones

Started by johnnYYac, Feb 29, 2012, 01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Davy Jones, of The Monkees, died today at the age of 66 from a heart attack.

Part of my childhood, ordering Monkees records from TV ads, addicted to the show.

The Monkees - Valleri " Official Video".
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jaye

I was just showing my 8 year old videos of the Monkees last night!  She is in a school play that is using a version of their theme song.  I was telling her how cute they all were and how much I loved them when I was her age.   

They were so much fun.

Fully

I went and saw them with Paul Revere and The Raiders and Herman's Hermits in '86. I only went because when I was 7 I had the HUGEST crush on Davy Jones. Reruns use to come on tv on Sunday mornings. It was a good show, if I remember correctly. Memories of it are a little fuzzy for some reason.

headhunter

FACT:

In 1967, The Monkees sold more albums than The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

COMBINED!

I loved The Monkees as a kid and when I hear their songs today, still makes me smile.

RIP Mr. Jones.  Thanks for your contributions.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

MarkW

Another fact:

In July 1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience was the support act for seven dates on The Monkees' tour.  Jimi stormed off stage on the seventh date, as he was being drowned out by the Monkees-obsessed audience screaming for Davy Jones.

And as Monkees drummer/vocalist Mickey Dolenz later put it, "Jimi would amble out onto the stage, fire up the amps and break into 'Purple Haze,' and the kids in the audience would instantly drown him out with 'We want Davy!' (Monkees vocalist Davy Jones)—God, it was embarrassing."

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/news/index.php/?display_article=498
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jaimoe

I was a big fan of the Monkees TV show and then started really getting into their music in the late '70s. As a constructed band, they still deserve lots of respect. Davy had a great pop voice and was a charming actor (see his cameo on the Brady Bunch). This is indeed sad news.

Kenny76

When I was a kid in the 80's, my babysitter would watch the Monkees every afternoon, because it was on one of those UHF stations that would always play syndicated old shows.  Most of those shows, I wish I could forget, but I always thought the Monkees were great.  It was pretty clever show... it basically made fun of what being a pop star is, while at the same time creating successful pop stars.

Davy Jones will be fondly remembered by a lot of different people.  I hope he's at peace.

Paulie_Walnuts

RIP Davy Jones......brings back some fond childhood memories.

Personally I always loved Michael Nesmith with that bobble hat and that deadpan look!
Paulie W

dragonboy

Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on Mar 02, 2012, 05:09 AM
RIP Davy Jones......brings back some fond childhood memories.

Personally I always loved Michael Nesmith with that bobble hat and that deadpan look!
Mike's later music, a lot of which was still recorded as The Monkees but was him with Nashiville session musicians is excellent!

If I Ever Get to Saginaw Again- Mike Nesmith Tribute

Love The Monkees, RIP Davy
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.