Jim featured on "Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes"

Started by oistheone, Mar 25, 2014, 12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

Comes out next Tuesday on DVD

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lost-songs-the-basement-tapes-continued-dvd/7475415.p?id=3367364&skuId=7475415&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7475415&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!66391061321!g!M!65862916719&kpid=7475415&k_clickid=381d16c1-31b5-4125-9fc0-05a5d53e7500&kpid=7475415&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=381d16c1-31b5-4125-9fc0-05a5d53e7500&ksprof_id=15&ksaffcode=pg11229&ksdevice=m

gardenparty

it was available on showtime on demand last week.  probably still is

BH

Found a reason to buy the DVD....

This documentary on the recording of the album "Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes" – the album where musicians Jim James, Marcus Mumford, Taylor Goldsmith, Elvis Costello and Rhiannon Giddens were given recently discovered lyrics from Bob Dylan (which he never completed in 1967) by producer T-Bone Burnett and asked to compose music and record with the other musicians, aired on the Showtime network earlier this year. It's now out on home video from Eagle Rock (I was provide a review copy in exchange for an objective review). If you missed it on TV, I can highly recommend it and – even if you saw it – you'll probably want to pick this up for the "bonus tracks" – six full performances including three songs that that are not featured in the 106-minute documentary as shown on TV. These bonus performances add another 24 minutes to the package.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Willard1979

When I Get My Hands On You is definitely my favorite song. I just might have to pick up the DVD too.  :thumbsup:

oistheone

Finally got my hands on a copy of this documentary. Great watch! Maybe I'm biased but Jim steals the show! He's really come a long way as a bassist. He's got the funk! Jim also seems to be the only one who had a smile on his face the whole time. Watching him lead that crack band through "Nothing To It" was such a treat! Carla Azar is such a badass drummer. And Rhiannon Giddens really nails those vocals alongside Jim. Had no idea it was her! Thought it was three or four Jims stacked on top of each other.

Also loved seeing the recording of "Down On The Bottom". It must have been so cool to work with T-Bone. You can see why he's such an in-demand producer. The guy is so smooth and effortless. Highly recommend checking this out!

mahg33ta

I think MM's Kansas city is the best song on the album and I enjoyed the story arc of him writing it in the documentary.   Also, Johnny Depp is pretty cool IMO.   Walks in plugs in, off he goes.   Not sure how much he plays, but he sure looks the part.