MMJ Should Cover Traffic

Started by GO4IT, Mar 03, 2012, 10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GO4IT

Ms GO4IT is at a conference this weekend (so she says) so I did the sensible thing and headed to my somewhat local record store - Trax on Wax in Catonsville, MD - to bury my head in the bins for a couple of hours.  Yim, the boys and the rest of you know how special these local stores are.

I didn't get off to a great start since they didn't have the New Multitudes album but I recovered and hit the many bins which were very well organized.  I scored nice copies of Sweet Revenge by John Prine and Honky Chateau by Elton John (Rocket Man sounds extra-special on vinyl!).

Then I got to rooting around in the back and found a run of about 60-70 records leaning against the barrier to a tiny stage that they have back there and sitting by themselves on the floor. I started looking at them and quickly realized that this was someone's personal collection of all kinds of artists that must have just come in and was not filed away yet. It was almost all early 70s albums and right in line with my tastes.  Most of the albums I knew well but one that I hadn't seen before caught my eye.  Prominently across the top of the Album were the names, in this order:
Steve Winwood
Jim Capaldi
Dave Mason
Chris Wood
Rich Grech
Kwaku Baah
Jim Gordon

OK, say no more, I'm sold.  And, by the way, the name of the album is "Welcome to the Canteen". Even though nothing says "Traffic" on my copy of the album (front, back or spine) it clearly is Traffic, on perhaps Dave Mason's last reunion tour with the rest of the band. It is a live album recorded in the UK and, frankly, the production leaves much to be desired.  Most of the reviews online are very positive but some complain about the sound/production (most have listened only to the CD version).  I was VERY fortunate that the vinyl copy I bought was virtually pristine.  The vinyl looked very clean and unscratched in the store as well as the cover hardly worn; it also looks like one of the original pressings.  I'm playing it a third time through right now and have not heard a single scratch or pop.

What I'm getting around to saying is that this album has so much depth on vinyl and recreates a "1971 live sound" quite well, in my opinion.  This is a case where I don't think a CD is going to cut it for this recording.  I might be up all night spinning this one again and again.  Vinyl rules, at least some of the time!

Now, after that brief lead-in, let's get to my deeply held belief that MMJ should cover a Traffic tune in some of their shows this summer.  I would say that the Traffic of 40 years occupied a VERY comparable niche in the music world to the MMJ of today.  A lot of similarity in their approach to music and in their fan base.

So, for what it's worth, here's a plea for a Traffic cover, "Mr. Fantasy" or another.  There are so many Traffic tunes that MMJ would absolutely KILL in a live show!!  Go for it!!

johnnYYac

I love Traffic!  I remember discovering them at a record store in Laconia, NH in the early 80s, before the Grateful Dead took hold of my consciousness.  I caught them during the '94 tour but it wasn't the same without Mason and Wood.

Mr. Fantasy would be great, but anything from John Barleycorn or Low Spark would do.

Good call, Rob.  A nice find that live LP.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Nice pitch GO4IT :)  I've never been to Trax on Wax but it's not that far from the Asian market I shop at every week.  I get the sense it can get pricy.  Do they have a lot of new, lesser known stuff or is it mostly classic reissues and used records?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Very nice story there, GO4IT. I saw Widespread Panic cover "The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" and enjoyed it. I could certainly see MMJ covering any of their songs and making it their own. Also, I think sometimes that Traffic is forgotten as one of the great rock operations from the early '70's. They got lots of play during the '80's revival of Steve Winwood's solo career, but I think what they did as a band trumps anything Winwood ever did as a solo artist.

johnnYYac

"I think what they did as a band trumps anything Winwood ever did as a solo artist."

:thumbsup:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kotchishm

Feel like MMJ would kill "Empty Pages" love that song
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

GO4IT

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 04, 2012, 07:31 AM
I love Traffic!  I remember discovering them at a record store in Laconia, NH in the early 80s, before the Grateful Dead took hold of my consciousness.  I caught them during the '94 tour but it wasn't the same without Mason and Wood.

Mr. Fantasy would be great, but anything from John Barleycorn or Low Spark would do.

Good call, Rob.  A nice find that live LP.

I'll try to go through my Traffic catalog today for other cover suggestions.  Of course I started the morning off with Welcome to the Canteen since it was on the platter from last night.  The albums I have are Mr. Fantasy (CD), Shoot Out At the Fantasy Factory (CD), Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (vinly and CD) and John Barleycorn (vinyl).

GO4IT

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
Nice pitch GO4IT :)  I've never been to Trax on Wax but it's not that far from the Asian market I shop at every week.  I get the sense it can get pricy.  Do they have a lot of new, lesser known stuff or is it mostly classic reissues and used records?
I don't go there often but I felt the urge to go yesterday with the added incentive of trying to pick up the New Multitudes album.  I used to live in Catonsville but now I'm further west; definitely worth the trip if you're within an hour or so since there aren't many choices these days.  If you're talking about the Asian market at Rolling Rd and Rte. 40 then you're only 5-10 min away.

They have mostly used albums and most of them are  rock, blues, etc but it goes back to Sinatra, Elvis and older blues.  And there's a lot I didn't get a chance to look through so I'm sure there's things I missed.  It's a pretty extensive inventory and lots of extra copies of popular albums below the bins.  In the middle of the store and behind the counter they have a couple hundred relatively new releases and maybe more new reissues of older albums.  I didn't look these over completely but the only MMJ album I found was Evil Urges in this new album section.

The new albums seemed a bit pricey but the used albums were reasonable.  The Traffic album was not yet marked with a price so he gave it to me for 5.99 and the other two were 2.99 and 8.99.  I think that's reasonable.  Go there and spend some money so we don't see another record store go down!

Fully

Now I'm going to have to go listen to some Traffic! :)

MamaKel

Big Steve Winwood fan...he and Clapton are fucking golden...

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
I don't go there often but I felt the urge to go yesterday with the added incentive of trying to pick up the New Multitudes album.  I used to live in Catonsville but now I'm further west; definitely worth the trip if you're within an hour or so since there aren't many choices these days.  If you're talking about the Asian market at Rolling Rd and Rte. 40 then you're only 5-10 min away.

They have mostly used albums and most of them are  rock, blues, etc but it goes back to Sinatra, Elvis and older blues.  And there's a lot I didn't get a chance to look through so I'm sure there's things I missed.  It's a pretty extensive inventory and lots of extra copies of popular albums below the bins.  In the middle of the store and behind the counter they have a couple hundred relatively new releases and maybe more new reissues of older albums.  I didn't look these over completely but the only MMJ album I found was Evil Urges in this new album section.

The new albums seemed a bit pricey but the used albums were reasonable.  The Traffic album was not yet marked with a price so he gave it to me for 5.99 and the other two were 2.99 and 8.99.  I think that's reasonable.  Go there and spend some money so we don't see another record store go down!
Thank you Rob.  Yup, I was referring to H-Mart.  Maybe I'll pop in there when I have some extra cash heading out that way.  I live in the city so my usual places are Sound Garden and Il Supremo in Fells Point and Atomic Books and True Vine in Hampden.  Sometimes I'll stick my head in Record and Tape Traders in Towson but I typically try to keep my cash in the city 8)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

GO4IT

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 05, 2012, 08:23 AM

Thank you Rob.  Yup, I was referring to H-Mart.  Maybe I'll pop in there when I have some extra cash heading out that way.  I live in the city so my usual places are Sound Garden and Il Supremo in Fells Point and Atomic Books and True Vine in Hampden.  Sometimes I'll stick my head in Record and Tape Traders in Towson but I typically try to keep my cash in the city 8)

I'll have to check out your Baltimore haunts sometime. I usually get down into the city to do something at least once a month or so.  I think I already stopped into the Hampden shop during the last HonFest  ;D

The way I look at it, I spent $16 and already got my money's worth just looking through the treasure trove of albums for two hours.  Then I come home with my Traffic gem and play that for hours on end and I've got my money's worth and then some all over again.  And I haven't even gotten to the other two albums and I'll have them all to play again and again for a long time.  Money well spent.

Anyway, life got in the way of more Traffic playing until tonight.  Been spinning Low Spark of High Heeled Boys on vinyl at high volume.  I'm coming to the realization that this band and the way they recorded is just meant to be heard on vinyl - "Light up or Leave me Alone" and "Rock and Roll Stew" are just not the same otherwise.

Since it looks like Trax on Wax is somewhere mid-way between where we live, we'll have to meet up there some day and go through the bins.  PM me when you're up for it.

Jane

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 05, 2012, 08:23 AM

I went to atomic records a couple weeks ago. i picked up a Miles Davis album. I wanted to pair it with my Dogfish Head bitches brew. I've been wanting to stop in True Vine sometime. I just started getting into vinyl. I'm a digital girl any other day of the week.

DewieCox

I think they could really do a number on Evening Blue.

Tracy 2112

Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. Maybe, possibly, probably, the best groove ever.

The anthem of my LSD days: blowing up houses, free loaves of bread, 3 men left, dalmation spot dancing, sea of moss, bouncing devil, floating Christmas, brain clouds, hearing electricity, eating glass, peeling off my hands...

MMJ could totally pull this off, showcasing Carl on tripped out sax and Bo on the piano; I'm sure YY could find some filler with his little white thingy he plays (what's that thing called?)

Traffic - Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - Live 72 (Full Song)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

GO4IT

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 10, 2012, 01:23 PM
MMJ could totally pull this off, showcasing Carl on tripped out sax and Bo on the piano; I'm sure YY could find some filler with his little white thingy he plays (what's that thing called?)

Traffic - Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - Live 72 (Full Song)
Omnichord - JonnYYac can tell you all you want to know about that "thingy" ;)

Great video find!  This version got me to thinking that this was essentially Traffic's "Dondante".  Interesting that the only guitar was a bass (which would work out just fine in a cover since MMJ now has two bass players). No Dave Mason on this one.

Shug

Yeah, I agree that Low Spark would be the first and most obvious choice of a prime Traffic cover for MMJ.  Phil and Friends played it, too, when the line up was Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring and they killed it.

I can also hear MMJ doing Rock and Roll Stew.

Traffic - Rock n Roll Stew

The DVD Live in Santa Monica 1972 (see the above video of Low Spark) is well worth having for a view of trippy, stoney era Traffic, although the quality is not that great, its all we got and a must watch, IMO.  The Muscle Shoals rhythm section were killer in Traffic, love it!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

GO4IT

Listening to my old vinyl John Barleycorn got me in the mood again.

So here are the Traffic songs that the faithful have suggested as covers on this post so far, in no particular order.  Add you own or give a plus up to the ones already on the list!

1. Dear Mr. Fantasy
2. Rock and Roll Stew
3. Low Spark of High Heeled Boys +
4. Evening Blue
5. Empty Pages

Luna Moth

Shug - best Grateful Dead tie dye i have seen in awhile