Dire Straits fans come save us

Started by sweatboard, Mar 08, 2012, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I heard telegraph road (thanks MJK) and started to understand why people have been telling me that the band that wrote that old song "Chicks For Free" was good. 

What else should I check out"

Tracy?
Woody?
There's Still Time.........

jimsflyingv

The whole album "Communiqué" (best Dire Straits album in my opinion) and the self titled debut "Dire Straits" as well as the Alchemy Live Album.

sweatboard

Quote from: jimsflyingv on Mar 08, 2012, 01:45 AM
The whole album "Communiqué" (best Dire Straits album in my opinion) and the self titled debut "Dire Straits" as well as the Alchemy Live Album.

So you're telling me there is better stuff out there than this??

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold + lyrics   :o :thumbsup:

sweatboard

Seriously, No one told me Bob Dylan got even more badass!!

jimsflyingv

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 08, 2012, 02:09 AM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Mar 08, 2012, 01:45 AM

So you're telling me there is better stuff out there than this??

Dire Straits - Once Upon A Time In The West (Part 1) (Alchemy Live @ Hammersmith Odeon, 1983) HD

ralph

Get Love Over Gold and also agree with jimsflyingv with getting Alchemy (the bluray that was released last year had pretty amazing audio quality).

Mark Knoffler is a very underrated guitarist.

At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Tracy 2112

Dire Straits-Dire Straits is essential for anyone who claims to be alive. I can still recall the stretch of I-55 South I was on when I heard Sultans of Swing on a scratchy AM radio in 1978, sitting in the backseat of my mother's oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. I'd put Making Movies second.

Quick story (of course): LA and I were set up for a coffee date when we first really met. So we drank coffee for an afternoon and got all hopped up and went to the record store (Uncle Bucks) in Oxford, Mississippi. We we strolling the aisles and came across Mark Knopfler's CD Neck and Neck (with Chet Atkins) filed in the Bluegrass section and I mentioned it should actually be in the Country section. Then we both confessed our love of Dire Straits simultaneously and sort of laughed, and then said at the same time, "Their 1st album is their best album" then we said at the same time, "Wild West End is the best song on the album", then, we quoted the exact line at the exact same time, "Greasy greasy greasy hair, easy smile" and then we both froze and looked at each other and then she put her hand up in my face as if to say STOP and just walked away. We have been pretty much inseparable since that day, some 16 years ago.

Dire Straits - Wild West End + lyrics
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

zanjam

Dire Straits/Dire Straits is one of my all time fave albums EVER.  It's one of my go-to albums no matter what mood.  Musical perfection!
anything + reverb always = better

sweatboard

I LOVE that story Tracy.   

I didn't think it could get more beautiful....then I played the song....

Walkin with my wild best friend.  :)

I loved it, I love you "greasy, greasy hair  :-* :thumbsup:

sweatboard

Just went nuts at the record store
$6 each on vinyl

Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Alchemy
Love Over Gold
Communiqe
Making Movies

Thanks for the recomendations!!!

jimsflyingv

sweatboard

They had On Every Street but I didn't get it.  I'm listening to it right now on Rhapsody and I'm going to have to go back now and pick it up.

woodnymph

sweatboard you tha man for starting up this sweet thread!!  I'm just on my lunch break right now and don't have time to read the whole thread yet, but I'm lovin' it and can't wait to hold some hands and get on board with these guys!!  Thanks!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

mahg33ta

Ahh Dire Straits.   In my top 5 of all bands alltime and a band that, although I don't listen to much anymore, I never got tired of or lost interest in.

All of the album recs are good and you can't go wrong with any of them.   Alchemy was a mindblower back before live boots were commonplace.

I worked a summer on the Jersey Shore at a pizza place, the year Brothers In Arms came out (85? 86?)  I was 15 or 16 and at the end of each night, we'd eat the leftover pizzas, crank up Brothers in Arms (cassette), do dishes, and drink Michelob ponies.   Must have heard that album 50 times that summer.   Adult-sanctioned drinking at my age while eating pizza was a thrill.   I learned that there are a lot of characters that work in kitchens.    Wow- that was a memory that came flooding back.

headhunter

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 08, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ahh Dire Straits.   In my top 5 of all bands alltime and a band that, although I don't listen to much anymore, I never got tired of or lost interest in.

All of the album recs are good and you can't go wrong with any of them.   Alchemy was a mindblower back before live boots were commonplace.

I worked a summer on the Jersey Shore at a pizza place, the year Brothers In Arms came out (85? 86?)  I was 15 or 16 and at the end of each night, we'd eat the leftover pizzas, crank up Brothers in Arms (cassette), do dishes, and drink Michelob ponies.   Must have heard that album 50 times that summer.   Adult-sanctioned drinking at my age while eating pizza was a thrill.   I learned that there are a lot of characters that work in kitchens.    Wow- that was a memory that came flooding back.

Great story Kyle and I too have been a fan of DS (with stories I remember) since their debut album came out.  Like you, I still listen to them on occasion but there is not any album of theirs I ever tire of.

I was in high school when their debut came out and I remember my friend who used to pick me up every morning in his toyota celica (complete with rear spoilers) on the way to drive to school.  Seems like Sultans of Swing was always on his blaupunk car stereo and we would blast it on the car on the way to school.  Not a bad song in their catalog.
And for your vinyl guys,  ALL of their stuff is aweome on a turntable.  Great sound quality for all DS and mark knopfler solo stuff.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

mjk73

I wore out my brother's viyl copy of Alchemy as a kids. Lover Over Gold is still my favorite album of theirs.

And yes, Mark is a very under appreciated guitarist.

Ruckus

I never really thought Mark Knopfler was ever underrated as a guitarist.  Most fans I know would acknowledge him as a great from an watered down era of guitar that would have held his own in any musical generation.  His sound and style were so unique.

Sultans of Swing will forever be associated as a favorite when our whole high school crew was getting drivers' licenses at around the same time.  It probably wasn't the greatest work ever but I played the hell out of Sailing to Philadelphia.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Quote from: headhunter on Mar 08, 2012, 02:53 PM
Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 08, 2012, 02:27 PM

Great story Kyle and I too have been a fan of DS (with stories I remember) since their debut album came out.  Like you, I still listen to them on occasion but there is not any album of theirs I ever tire of.

I was in high school when their debut came out and I remember my friend who used to pick me up every morning in his toyota celica (complete with rear spoilers) on the way to drive to school.  Seems like Sultans of Swing was always on his blaupunk car stereo and we would blast it on the car on the way to school.  Not a bad song in their catalog.
And for your vinyl guys,  ALL of their stuff is aweome on a turntable.  Great sound quality for all DS and mark knopfler solo stuff.

Ah yes, Brothers in Arms and teenage drinking. Exchanging t-shirts with a girl in the park after sucking down a few Bartles & James. "Hoho, that ain't workin'..." Listened to that record—err, tape—almost every day that year it seems.

But this is one case in which having it on vinyl back then really was a drawback: several of the tunes were truncated on vinyl from their original CD versions. I need to get those remastered discs, there's a particularly big void with the end of Why Worry being left out.

I love all of the other records too, especially Making Movies. Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite songs of ALL TIME.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

mahg33ta

yes, making movies is for sure my favorite record too.    When I finally heard Romeo and Juliet live (at a Mark Knopfler concert), it was pretty incredible.   No music is as powerful as the stuff you grew up listening to.   

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.