Main Menu

Honest Man

Started by Tracy 2112, Mar 14, 2012, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honest Man

I definitely DO NOT skip over.  :D One of my favorite songs
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

Honest Man

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Mar 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
Quote from: el_chode on Mar 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
While At Dawn is on my list of best albums ever, there were days when I skipped over  Honest Man until one day it just clicked
This happened to me with Nashville to Kentucky.

I have no problem with Honest Man, but if I never hear Two Halves again it will be too soon. I've deleted it from all digital versions of Evil Urges, so I suppose it will never have a chance to click. Those lyrics make me cringe.

I have to agree on Two Halves. It always gets skipped over.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

zanjam

Quote from: Honest Man on Mar 16, 2012, 06:38 PM
Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Mar 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
While At Dawn is on my list of best albums ever, there were days when I skipped over  Honest Man until one day it just clicked
This happened to me with Nashville to Kentucky.

I have no problem with Honest Man, but if I never hear Two Halves again it will be too soon. I've deleted it from all digital versions of Evil Urges, so I suppose it will never have a chance to click. Those lyrics make me cringe.

I have to agree on Two Halves. It always gets skipped over.

Maybe it's because I am a woman of a certain age who absolutely loves the Beach Boys this one works for me...LOL!  It's campy.  I like it a lot.  Compared to Lay Low?  Doesn't stand a chance.  But I like.
anything + reverb always = better

e_wind

I listened to Evil Urges for the first time in awhile a couple days ago and I once again realized that all of it- even two halves- is great
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
I listened to Evil Urges for the first time in awhile a couple days ago and I once again realized that all of it- even two halves- is great

I agree. I never understood all of the criticism of that album. And I have to say that I've always loved Highly Suspicious. The first time I heard it I thought it was hilarious and listening to it live, particularly when PHJB is playing with them, it just rocks. It is one of my favorite albums of the bands; but to be honest, I can't say that there is one of their albums that I dislike. There are a few songs. I loathe The Day is Coming because I think it sounds like stereotypical supermarket music and the lyrics are just boring. But that is probably the only song of MMJ's that I have a big problem with. The few others that I don't care for don't inspire that much passionate hate.

el_chode

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 16, 2012, 12:24 PM

This happened with me and the Violent Femmes. Unfortunantely, it took nearly 15 years...

It's ok, it happened to me with too many bands to count, e.g. the Replacements
I'm surrounded by assholes

zanjam

Quote from: Fully on Mar 17, 2012, 05:31 PM

I agree. I never understood all of the criticism of that album. And I have to say that I've always loved Highly Suspicious. The first time I heard it I thought it was hilarious and listening to it live, particularly when PHJB is playing with them, it just rocks. It is one of my favorite albums of the bands; but to be honest, I can't say that there is one of their albums that I dislike. There are a few songs. I loathe The Day is Coming because I think it sounds like stereotypical supermarket music and the lyrics are just boring. But that is probably the only song of MMJ's that I have a big problem with. The few others that I don't care for don't inspire that much passionate hate.

I SO don't get The Day Is Coming hatred.  I love love love love it.  Love it.  And love it some more.  But I put Highly Suspicious in a First Light category.  I can tolerate it, but it is certainly not my first choice of song.  Funny how peeps gravitate towards certain styles.  Day is Coming is up there for me!!

zanjam

Word.  Evil Urges is phenomenal.  Work of art. 

Devil Ledbetter

Quote from: zanjam on Mar 23, 2012, 01:30 AM

I SO don't get The Day Is Coming hatred.  I love love love love it.  Love it.  And love it some more. 
Me too.
We understand it's the '90s.

Fully

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Mar 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Quote from: zanjam on Mar 23, 2012, 01:30 AM

I SO don't get The Day Is Coming hatred.  I love love love love it.  Love it.  And love it some more. 
Me too.

Allow me to be immature and point out that this is Devil's 69th post! Even if we disagree on The Day is Coming, I can still get on board that many posts! ;)

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Mar 15, 2012, 02:41 PM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Mar 15, 2012, 03:06 AM
Honest Man, MMJ playing honest blues rock, what could be wrong about it....first song of At Dawn I really loved :)

It's sort of like how I love hamburgers w/cheese. mmmmmmm  Perfect! And, I usually get mustard, ketchup and lettuce on my hamburgers/cheese. However, sometimes I may get pickles and/or onions. However, if I didn't order a hamburger w/cheese with pickles and it came with pickles, I would probably like it anyway but not as much as without pickles (at that particular time in my life) as I had ordered it.

That's where Honest Man hits me; it's the pickles I didn't order on At Dawn.

Oh Yeah, well why don't you just cook your own damn burger.  Honest Man is the goldfish crackers that I had no idea could even go on a burger, but damnit to hell if they didn't just send that MF'ER right on over the TOP.   
There's Still Time.........

MamaKel

This song gets real Beatles "Revolution" at the scream...one of my all time favorites
from them...who doesn't like an Honest Man?

ericm

Quote from: MamaKel on Mar 28, 2012, 10:00 AM
This song gets real Beatles "Revolution" at the scream...one of my all time favorites
from them...who doesn't like an Honest Man?

Put me in the "love it' column. Always a treat for me when I get an Honest Man at a show. Now if they would just turn Bo up a bit, and give him some time to let loose on this one live, I'll be all set.  There's definitely some room in a live performance of HM for more Bo . That would put this tune over the top for me.
"Where's Jim going?"

MamaKel

Like where it goes into the guitar solo? Bo could do something real New Orleans...I just hear N.O. Jazz in my head...but there are so many spots where Bo's piano just makes te song a whole new thing...the playing on the new interlude on Golden...the end of Steam Engine...I really wanna hear them turn it out on TMIGTS pt.2...I just hear this opportunity to just jam funk rock where Jim is going "eh-eh-eey"...u know what I'm talking about?

YimYodd

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
I never skip it, and Montreal reminded me why.

I'm the bobbing bald head directly below Jim. 

My Morning Jacket -- Honest Man -- Live at the Metropolis, July 12 2011

I took some photos, too.

I'm with you Johnny!
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

YimYodd

Honest Man is definitely one of my favs.
Play it every day...never skip it coz I love BLUES.
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

johnnYYac

Thanks for dusting off my post.  I'll never forget this specific moment, waking up with a sore neck in my fleabag hotel right next to the Metropolis.  Here's that YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHJ3h5mDrs8#ws
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Honest Man was a definite highlight of Red Rocks. Its nota  favorite song of mine, but damn it was awesome that night
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

It was fine that night, ewind. It was as badass as Masterplan and Twilight.

parkervb

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 09, 2012, 07:16 PM
Honest Man was a definite highlight of Red Rocks. Its nota  favorite song of mine, but damn it was awesome that night

i played RR night 2 while doing some housework and kept listening to the stretch from 4:00 on...love the shot of JJ on Patrick's drumkit with the crowd just bouncing in the background. i've always loved this song, but i'm certainly a sucker for good ol fashioned blues riffs.

http://youtu.be/L2Hpffz6rrA?t=4m6s
Don't you ever turn it off