Lee Renaldo - Between the Times and the Tides

Started by sweatboard, Mar 14, 2012, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

This could end up being my favorite album of the year.  This thing is a masterpiece!  I did not anticipate being blown away by a Lee solo record.   

Tracy 2112

thanks bri, it's about time you started pulling your weight around here

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

ha, I thought you might like it. 

I tried a little bit to get into Thurston's solo record but haven't been able to.

This Lee record is that HOT FIRE though.  I wasn't sure if I could take a whole album of Lee singing poetry but he changes the songs and his delivery up enough that It works really really well.  He actually did a great job with the vocal melody throughout, me thinks.     

ralph

Really looking forward to hearing this record (usually avoid advanced streamings and wait til the album is in my hand). It was always Lee's songs that got me most excited whenever a new Sonic Yoof record dropped. Hated how he was always curtailed to one or two songs per album.

And That latest Thurston record is a big steaming pile. Truly terrible...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

sweatboard

Bought this today on Vinyl.  Amazing!!!!

They weren't making out

She was a bit hysterical.....and I was just trying to calm her down.

You can, you can
Take this feeling home
Here you'll be my friend again
When we're all alone

So Many Amazing Moments on this record. 

johnnYYac

He's opening for M. Ward when I see him in May in Portland MAINE.  Looking forward to it. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mahg33ta

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
He's opening for M. Ward when I see him in May in Portland MAINE.  Looking forward to it.

and in Boston.   That's what made caught my interest for this thread.   I listened to the stream once and wasn't sure what to think.

rats

Quote from: ralph on Mar 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Really looking forward to hearing this record (usually avoid advanced streamings and wait til the album is in my hand). It was always Lee's songs that got me most excited whenever a new Sonic Yoof record dropped. Hated how he was always curtailed to one or two songs per album.

demolished thoughts? that was one of my favorites last year. not the best, but probably in the top ten at least. harsh words.

bluesky

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 AM

Jonathan Richman is opening for M in SF. Maybe I was on the east coast too long, but I thought Jonathan could still hold his own. Here's hoping for a duet!

ralph

Quote from: rats on Mar 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Quote from: ralph on Mar 14, 2012, 07:05 PM

demolished thoughts? that was one of my favorites last year. not the best, but probably in the top ten at least. harsh words.

I think its just the cello pitch that fucks this record up for me. It just sound like screeching, and its relentless throughout the entire record. Loved Trees Outside the Academy though...

And back to Lee, picking this album up today from my local record store (we still have a few here!).   Cant wait to listen to it...

ralph

sweatboard