Bermuda Highway Analysis

Started by VTbrill, Mar 15, 2012, 02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTbrill

So, I'm entering an analytical essay contest and I'm using an interpretation of Bermuda Highway.

I'm getting caught up on one line though, as you might guess,
"Walkin past the carpet mills looking in and takin stills,
your ass it draws me in like a Bermuda highway."

Carpet Mills= either a factory warehouse where people do monotonous work or;
homemade dog treadmill essentially representing stagnancy...? would jim have ever known that or expect his audience to know that exists? it seems a bit stretched

Your ass it draws me in: I always heard this as 'acid draws me in' because I just can't think of who's ass and what a person's ass could be drawing him into?  it doesnt fit with the rest of the song at all because Outside of this, my essay focuses on the narrative of Jim's imaginative and creative self giving advice to the meek man who once occupied him, and didn't allow any good to come to his own self. 

Another person's ass drawing him into the mindless abyss of the Bermuda highway seems completely outside of the scope of his point.

Am I making any sense?

MrWhippy

I've wondered quite a bit about the "your ass it draws me in" line as well.  In some ways, I almost take it as being drawn in by someone you know is not good for you, or that you resent on some level or have a love-hate relationship with.

It reminds me of a line an a song by Elbow that goes: "I miss your stupid face." 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

johnnYYac

Well, I've always regarded the "Bermuda highway" reference to mean "short" or "close".  After all, a friend of mine who lived in Bermuda said the longest road was maybe 7 miles.

As far as the ass reference, I've always taken it to represent an honest admission to being physically attracted to someone.  It's the same with the line "bodies go to silly places". 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon

Interpreting Jim's lyrics is tricky business. He admits he goes for syntax and sound above what the words mean. I love that. That does not discount the fact that he often expresses real ideas. The trick is figuring out if he is trying to say something, or just trying to make a great vocal melody.

e_wind

Sometimes I wonder why that meek guy got all the fame,
maybe I'm to blame for his short bitter fucked up life

This line always has me thinking.... Is the first line from the point of view of the person Dondante is about and the 2nd Jim's response to it?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 15, 2012, 08:42 PM

This line always has me thinking.... Is the first line from the point of view of the person Dondante is about and the 2nd Jim's response to it?

I always think that the first line is about him questioning why his own life; however,you pose an interesting thought. You are making me look at it from a different light.

e_wind

The only reason I question it is because I dont know the time frame the events took place in
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ghosts_on_TV

I saw this was the last posted in thread on the front page of the forum, but it just said "Bermuda Highway anal..." I was disapointed when I opened it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

I could be wrong, but I don't think that happened yet.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: VTbrill on Mar 15, 2012, 02:10 AM
So, I'm entering an analytical essay contest and I'm using an interpretation of Bermuda Highway.

homemade dog treadmill essentially representing stagnancy...? would jim have ever known that or expect his audience to know that exists? it seems a bit stretched

Your ass it draws me in: I always heard this as 'acid draws me in' because I just can't think of who's ass and what a person's ass could be drawing him into?  it doesnt fit with the rest of the song at all because Outside of this, my essay focuses on the narrative of Jim's imaginative and creative self giving advice to the meek man who once occupied him, and didn't allow any good to come to his own self. 

Another person's ass drawing him into the mindless abyss of the Bermuda highway seems completely outside of the scope of his point.

Am I making any sense?

I've been drawn in by many an ass in my day.

Fully

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Mar 16, 2012, 06:30 AM

Am I making any sense?

I've been drawn in by many an ass in my day.

I dated one years ago. But I think we are interpreting that word in two different ways.

EasyRyder

It has been a while, I miss this place  :kiss:

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall"

these words speak to me now more than ever. whatever you all may be facing in your lives, don't forget the beauty that surrounds us and why we're here   :beer:

what a lyric, what a song, what awaits? awesomeness.  :drum:

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Well, I've always regarded the "Bermuda highway" reference to mean "short" or "close".  After all, a friend of mine who lived in Bermuda said the longest road was maybe 7 miles.

As far as the ass reference, I've always taken it to represent an honest admission to being physically attracted to someone.  It's the same with the line "bodies go to silly places".

Love this input, thanks JY! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

tippitoes22

Am I making any sense?

The ass is the window to the soul :)
Or is it the eyes? I always get those confused.
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

APR

I read that MMJ opened up for Elliot Smith on a tour and this song came out after he committed suicide.  Maybe all the adulation (from fans and fellow musicians, etc) messed with his head and contributed to whatever other problems he had going on.  That could be the meek guy.  Or it could be Kurt Cobain who also had a short, bitter life and couldn't deal with life, his fame, drugs, etc.

I love every line in this song, especially the line and image/visual of a dream falling between the bed and the wall.  Inspiring and Amazing!  I just explained that line to my 9 year old daughter a few nights ago after reading her a story. 

I also think Jim simply saw a pretty girl with a great ass and followed her.  But the syntax and sound theory that rincon presents is definitely likely too.

And on a separate note..... welcome back Easy Ryder!  I hope to see you in Louisville again or wherever else MMJ ends up in2015. 

EasyRyder

Quote from: APR on Jul 04, 2014, 04:06 PM

I read that MMJ opened up for Elliot Smith on a tour and this song came out after he committed suicide.  Maybe all the adulation (from fans and fellow musicians, etc) messed with his head and contributed to whatever other problems he had going on.  That could be the meek guy.  Or it could be Kurt Cobain who also had a short, bitter life and couldn't deal with life, his fame, drugs, etc.

I love every line in this song, especially the line and image/visual of a dream falling between the bed and the wall.  Inspiring and Amazing!  I just explained that line to my 9 year old daughter a few nights ago after reading her a story. 

I also think Jim simply saw a pretty girl with a great ass and followed her.  But the syntax and sound theory that rincon presents is definitely likely too.

And on a separate note..... welcome back Easy Ryder!  I hope to see you in Louisville again or wherever else MMJ ends up in2015.

that's such a great lyric to share with the young ones around us, that's awesome, APR.

P.S. Still haven't forgotten how great that unstaged night was - forever indebted to you for that hook up  :beer: it's been over a year since my last show. Lets hope 2015 has great experiences in store, including some path crossing!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."