Fantasy Super Bowl Halftime Show

Started by rincon, Mar 20, 2012, 04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

So it seems all of the megastars have had a chance at the halftime show. Mixed results would be an understatement. Imagine if MMJ were given that opportunity. A 20 minute set.
Golden
Lay Low
Holding on to Black Metal
One Big Holiday
The majority of the world would say WTF? My Morning Jacket? Who are they? After the set, on the biggest stage in the world, they would easily become massive superstars that everyone would wonder why they never heard of them before. Feel free to revise this set in this fantasy.

johnnYYac

Nice.  I'd posted an article around the time of the last Super Bowl that included MMJ in a list of the top 10 acts who would be better halftime choices than Madonna. 

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1018137-no-material-girls-need-apply-ten-half-time-acts-that-are-better-than-madonna#/articles/1018137-no-material-girls-need-apply-ten-half-time-acts-that-are-better-than-madonna/page/2
"Who They Are

Otherwise known as "the band from that episode of American Dad," or "that band David Letterman is in love with," My Morning Jacket is a psychedelically-tinged southern rock band in the grand tradition of the Allman Brothers Band. They rock hard, but aren't afraid to unleash a funky side.

Why They Would Work

They put on the sort of high-flying show that would fit the epic atmosphere of the Super Bowl perfectly. They are already live legends for their performances at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival and are both guitar-heavy enough to get your dad doing the air guitar but funky enough to watch with your girlfriend or boyfriend.

Why It Won't Work

Unfortunately My Morning Jacket is a bit on the obscure side despite numerous late night and Seth MacFarlane-related appearances. I honestly believe they are the perfect fit for the big stage, but they just aren't well known enough."

I agree with the latter half of your set list, but think they'd likely not do Lay Low.  Perhaps The Way That He Sings or Gideon. 

It could happen.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BigHerm

Great thread.

Circuital
Gideon
Golden
One Big Holiday.

rincon

Lay Low is so effin hot. I know it is not one of their iconic tunes, but imagine if they started with Golden, country acoustic, then Lay Low. the first half Jim has no guitar. Then the stage hand passes it to him as he is singing, and he shreds for 3 minutes. That would make some impression of the uninitiated.

johnnYYac

Quote from: rincon on Mar 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
Lay Low is so effin hot. I know it is not one of their iconic tunes, but imagine if they started with Golden, country acoustic, then Lay Low. the first half Jim has no guitar. Then the stage hand passes it to him as he is singing, and he shreds for 3 minutes. That would make some impression of the uninitiated.
Oh, that is the highlight of my first MMJ show, the handoff of the flying V as Jim ends his singing duties on Lay Low!  Damn near lost my mind.  Watch the clip starting at 2:00

My Morning Jacket - Lay Low

I just don't know if it would make the cut for a 20 min. Super Bowl halftime set.  Agreed, though, it would turn a lot of heads...  :D

rincon

Maybe I am giving this fantasy way too much thought, but here is my rational for that particular set list I wrote.
Golden  Get the soft side out of the way. It is a huge part of their sound and it is arguably the best song to convey what their country roots are. It would lure in the fans who are not all about hard rock and roll
Lay Low This song starts of by showing what a great pop rock band they are. It is a blueprint for what the fans expect when they go to an MMJ show. It then turns into a barnburner that will make people wonder if it is the same band that played Golden
Black Metal Another 180 that would appeal to fans of other genres of music. Full on horns and back up singers. People would begin to wonder, in a positive way, "Who are these guys?"
OBH Go out with what is clearly their most traditional sounding hard rock song. Very accessible to fans that are not so open minded about eclectic rock and roll.

These songs could be abridged to fit the 20 minute limit very easily. Gideon, as great a song as it is, would not have the POW to stand out, unless it was with the Boston Pops.
Unlike many half time shows, MMJ are not nostalgic. They are still relevant. It could be the greatest step they could take, if they want to become very famous.  As for us it would mean larger venues :(, harder to get good tickets   :'(, and hearing people talk about them that have no idea what they are talking about  :-\ Those ar all selfish reason to object. They simply deserve recognition, and this would accomplish that in spades :thumbsup:
There is little doubt in my mind it would be remembered as the greatest half time show, eclipsing Prince's stand out show in the rain.

GO4IT

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I just don't see MMJ in a Superbowl halftime show.  The majority of fans are just drunk, eating nachos and looking for a lot of glitz, women in skimpy outfits and fireworks.  That's not the MMJ scene.

Recall the Who halftime show a few years ago.  I love the Who but they demonstrated that good music alone is simply not a good fit for this crowd.

Sorry.

PS - Reality check.  I was at Orioles stadium last year and to my effin surprise, Black Metal comes on full blast during a pitching change.  Me alone, among 40,000, jumps up and starts dancing and even my "friends" give me a hard time.

rincon

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I just don't see MMJ in a Superbowl halftime show.  The majority of fans are just drunk, eating nachos and looking for a lot of glitz, women in skimpy outfits and fireworks.  That's not the MMJ scene.

Recall the Who halftime show a few years ago.  I love the Who but they demonstrated that good music alone is simply not a good fit for this crowd.

Sorry.

PS - Reality check.  I was at Orioles stadium last year and to my effin surprise, Black Metal comes on full blast during a pitching change.  Me alone, among 40,000, jumps up and starts dancing and even my "friends" give me a hard time.
This is called a fantasy. The halftime show is not for the fans at the game, it is for TV. As for the Who, my favorite band for well over 30 years, they fucking sucked at the Super Bowl, because, well their rhythm section is dead, and Pete is deaf, and Roger is pushing 70. As for not being an MMJ scene, I am sure they could adapt to girls, alcohol, and fireworks.

GO4IT

Quote from: rincon on Mar 21, 2012, 05:26 AM

Sorry.

This is called a fantasy. The halftime show is not for the fans at the game, it is for TV. As for the Who, my favorite band for well over 30 years, they fucking sucked at the Super Bowl, because, well their rhythm section is dead, and Pete is deaf, and Roger is pushing 70. As for not being an MMJ scene, I am sure they could adapt to girls, alcohol, and fireworks.

Yeah, I missed the "fantasy" part.
Sorry.  I'm all in now

Jane

This made me want to go to an Orioles game this year.

passerby25

I never really thought of MMJ as playing at the superbowl. As much as I love them, they aren't really what I would consider a "radio friendly" or poppy enough band. Their music, while good, does take some listening and getting used to to really love.

More realistically though, being from around the Philadelphia area, I have fantasized about, and I think they would be a good fit, into the Free concert with the Roots on July 4th. They play  with enough energy, and have some pretty good "dancing" songs that I think it would be a good fit (I imagine a fantasy 20 minute set of something along the lines of: Dancefloors, Gideon, Black Metal, and OBH with Jim w/ The Roots doing Dear God 2.0). In addition, Jim has worked with the Roots before, and seeing them play together would be mind-bottling.

rincon

Quote from: passerby25 on Mar 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
I never really thought of MMJ as playing at the superbowl. As much as I love them, they aren't really what I would consider a "radio friendly" or poppy enough band. Their music, while good, does take some listening and getting used to to really love.

More realistically though, being from around the Philadelphia area, I have fantasized about, and I think they would be a good fit, into the Free concert with the Roots on July 4th. They play  with enough energy, and have some pretty good "dancing" songs that I think it would be a good fit (I imagine a fantasy 20 minute set of something along the lines of: Dancefloors, Gideon, Black Metal, and OBH with Jim w/ The Roots doing Dear God 2.0). In addition, Jim has worked with the Roots before, and seeing them play together would be mind-bottling.
Funny, I think they are extremely radio friendly. They are proof that decent radio is dead. Their music would have been huge in 70's or 80's.

GO4IT

Quote from: rincon on Mar 22, 2012, 10:56 PM

Funny, I think they are extremely radio friendly. They are proof that decent radio is dead. Their music would have been huge in 70's or 80's.
I'm not sure it's that much different these days.  For example, when the Allman Bros were peaking in the early 70s they weren't on the pop radio stations.  The only song eventually "making it" in that niche was "Ramblin' Man" off "Brothers and Sisters", a catchy tune but certainly not among their greatest works.

Much of the great cutting edge music has never really been appreciated by the masses.

I agree that most decent radio is dead. There is at least one awesome station that I know of, however, WTMD of Towson University.  If you're not in the Baltimore region you can stream it and they also have an app that you can stream to your smartphone. Give it a listen and if you like it, contribute to keep good radio alive.

aMillionDreams

Prepare for your mind to be bottled:

http://vodpod.com/watch/3864853-the-roots-dear-god-2-0-feat-monsters-of-folk-jimmy-fallon-live
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

rincon

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 22, 2012, 11:26 PM

I'm not sure it's that much different these days.  For example, when the Allman Bros were peaking in the early 70s they weren't on the pop radio stations.  The only song eventually "making it" in that niche was "Ramblin' Man" off "Brothers and Sisters", a catchy tune but certainly not among their greatest works.

Much of the great cutting edge music has never really been appreciated by the masses.

I agree that most decent radio is dead. There is at least one awesome station that I know of, however, WTMD of Towson University.  If you're not in the Baltimore region you can stream it and they also have an app that you can stream to your smartphone. Give it a listen and if you like it, contribute to keep good radio alive.
I don't think of MMJ and Allmans as having much of anything in common. MMJ is at heart, a pop band. They utilize many styles of music, but they are far too melodic to be considered "southern rock". Seriously. what songs by MMJ truly conger up the Allmans or Skynyrd, besides OBH?

johnnYYac

Quote from: rincon on Mar 23, 2012, 12:48 AM

I don't think of MMJ and Allmans as having much of anything in common. MMJ is at heart, a pop band. They utilize many styles of music, but they are far too melodic to be considered "southern rock". Seriously. what songs by MMJ truly conger up the Allmans or Skynyrd, besides OBH?
I don't totally disagree with MMJ's pop tendancies, but Lay Low has a serious Allman Bros. vibe once Jim trades his voice for the flying V!

rincon

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 23, 2012, 11:50 AM

I don't totally disagree with MMJ's pop tendancies, but Lay Low has a serious Allman Bros. vibe once Jim trades his voice for the flying V!
I guess, but lots of bands have dueling guitars. My Morning Jacket has a shitload of songs, and the influences are all over the musical history map. It would not be a surprise for some parts of some songs to remind you of any band. What irritates me is reviews that refer to them as "southern-fried rock", and them compare them to the Allmans and Skynyrd. They are at least as much influenced by Simon and Garfunkel at those bands.

Waddy Peytona

"Southern rock" is a lazy description, regardless of the band being referred to.

GO4IT

You're missing the point of my post.

I was responding to the opinion that "Their music would have been huge in 70's or 80's."

I'm not comparing the musical styles of MMJ and the Allman Bros (and, for the record, I never mentioned Southern Rock).  My point was that in their heyday, the Allmans played music that was cutting edge and innovative for their times (does not equal same type of music) and they were not on the popular stations just as MMJ plays what IMHO is cutting edge and innovative music and is not played on the popular stations to any great degree.

All it means is that great bands and their music are often not recognized by the masses until much later.  Fortunately we are not missing out on the greatness of MMJ in their prime.

rincon

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 25, 2012, 10:39 PM

You're missing the point of my post.

I was responding to the opinion that "Their music would have been huge in 70's or 80's."

I'm not comparing the musical styles of MMJ and the Allman Bros (and, for the record, I never mentioned Southern Rock).  My point was that in their heyday, the Allmans played music that was cutting edge and innovative for their times (does not equal same type of music) and they were not on the popular stations just as MMJ plays what IMHO is cutting edge and innovative music and is not played on the popular stations to any great degree.

All it means is that great bands and their music are often not recognized by the masses until much later.  Fortunately we are not missing out on the greatness of MMJ in their prime.
The Allmans were certainly a very well known band by 1973. I was clearly aware of them by 1972, and I was 11. Whether or not Brothers and Sisters was some of their best work, it was a commercial landmark album of the decade.  Even then I knew that 2 original members were dead. This was all learned from top forty radio. Can't say the same about MMJ.