A Perfect Ten Album.....

Started by sweatboard, Mar 23, 2012, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 27, 2012, 12:34 AM
At lest two people claim that "consolers of the lonely" is a ten?  Uh, "Broken Boy Soldier" is a far superior album.  I don't get it. 

I'm just glad none of the DBT fans have called anything after Decoration Day a ten. 

"Nevermind" is a masterpiece but the production just doesn't do it any justice.   I listen to "In Utero" and can't help but get sad about what could have been.  At least Brendan O'Brien was able to fix TEN.  I mean, I love TEN, but the only thing holding it back was the glossy production.  Same with Nevermind....it was just that time period I guess.  The two greatest albums of the 90's were nearly ruined by their production.   

I do not agree.  I think the production on Nevermind by Butch Vig is masterful. Ten was never my thing, so I'm sure about that. Seems to be a common refrain from my 90's friends, "It's allright, but it sounds like a Boston album - all clean sounding and shit." I went along with this nonsense for about 15 years and then came to my senses.  Watch Butch in that documentary take the songs apart piece by piece - it's really mesmerizing.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

pawpaw

Good stuff in here...I'd add these:

Otis Redding – Otis Blue
Stevie Wonder – Talking Book
Augustus Pablo – King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
David Bowie – Hunky Dory
Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Sam Cooke – Night Beat
Faces – A Nod Is as Good as a Wink...to a Blind Horse
Duke Ellington – Money Jungle
The Congos – Heart of the Congos
Duke Ellington - And His Mother Called Him Bill
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

DewieCox

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 27, 2012, 12:34 AM
At lest two people claim that "consolers of the lonely" is a ten?  Uh, "Broken Boy Soldier" is a far superior album.  I don't get it. 

BBS is a good album no doubt, but I think it loses steam towards the end. Consolers, to me feels more like THE Raconteurs album, a better example of the members' ultimate vision. Great flow and some nice ups and down throughout. Can't think of a song on there that I just flat out don't get into at all. I think the highs from CotL are higher and the lows are on par with some of the best material from the first album.

blucas

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Quote from: blucas on Mar 27, 2012, 01:33 AM
For me, Z is clearly the most brilliant and perfect as an album but if somebody gave me truth serum, I'd probably admit that At Dawn is my favorite (Honest Man holds it back from being the '10' - ha) and if I got marooned on a desert island and could only take one, it would have to be Okonokos...   ???

Anyway, I'd try to sneak these onto the island too...

AIC, Dirt
Jane's Addiction, Ritual De Lo Habitual
The Pink Mountaintops, Outside Love
The Verve, A Northern Soul
The Black Angels, Passover

YES!

It's so nice to stumble upon a fellow Verve fan Penny :bath:  It does however compel me to reassess the logic in my offering of perfect '10's' and give you some props along the way for recognizing Urban Hymns on your list...

I chose 'Z' over At Dawn because, though both are brilliant and genius, I believe that 'Z' makes a perfect statement as an ALBUM.  In addition, I do believe that 'Z' was groundbreaking in many ways already discussed in this and other threads.  Staying with that logic, I really should have gone with Urban Hymns as the same type of statement by the Verve, and most people would undoubtedly consider it to be the their masterpiece.  In essence, for the sake of this exercise 'Z' = Urban Hymns.

However, Northern Soul holds a special place for me as it was my introduction to the Verve...the same as At Dawn was for MMJ.  Not to mention, both albums are all about texture and mood and ethereal stuff that is hard to put into words but easy to feel.  While NS and AD might not make the most perfect 'album' statement (whatever the hell that means), they are so so very powerful and beautiful and imperfect in all the right ways.  That said At Dawn = Northern Soul. 

I guess the conclusion to this folly is that the criteria for my choice of album 10's was a bit scattered and schizophrenic (Hmmmm...based on that, maybe EU should have been my MMJ choice!)  ;D ;D

Cheers!
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

sweatboard

QuoteI do not agree.  I think the production on Nevermind by Butch Vig is masterful. Ten was never my thing, so I'm sure about that. Seems to be a common refrain from my 90's friends, "It's allright, but it sounds like a Boston album - all clean sounding and shit." I went along with this nonsense for about 15 years and then came to my senses.  Watch Butch in that documentary take the songs apart piece by piece - it's really mesmerizing.

I've seen it, I agree he did some amazing things.  I prefer the production and overall sound and vibe on In Utero, I'm a huge Albini fan....I think Butch just popped Nevermind up a bit too much for the greater good.  If you really get right down to it was his production on that album caused Kurt to shoot himself in the head with a shotgun.  I guess that ends up either being amazing production or shitty production depending on how you look at it.     ;)
There's Still Time.........

ManNamedTruth

I thinks it's apparent now more than ever that they (jim) reached their creative peak with Z. Gideon and Dondante is some powerfully epic stuff.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Penny Lane

Quote from: blucas on Mar 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
For me, Z is clearly the most brilliant and perfect as an album but if somebody gave me truth serum, I'd probably admit that At Dawn is my favorite (Honest Man holds it back from being the '10' - ha) and if I got marooned on a desert island and could only take one, it would have to be Okonokos...   ???

AIC, Dirt

YES!

It's so nice to stumble upon a fellow Verve fan Penny :bath:  It does however compel me to reassess the logic in my offering of perfect '10's' and give you some props along the way for recognizing Urban Hymns on your list...

I chose 'Z' over At Dawn because, though both are brilliant and genius, I believe that 'Z' makes a perfect statement as an ALBUM.  In addition, I do believe that 'Z' was groundbreaking in many ways already discussed in this and other threads.  Staying with that logic, I really should have gone with Urban Hymns as the same type of statement by the Verve, and most people would undoubtedly consider it to be the their masterpiece.  In essence, for the sake of this exercise 'Z' = Urban Hymns.

However, Northern Soul holds a special place for me as it was my introduction to the Verve...the same as At Dawn was for MMJ.  Not to mention, both albums are all about texture and mood and ethereal stuff that is hard to put into words but easy to feel.  While NS and AD might not make the most perfect 'album' statement (whatever the hell that means), they are so so very powerful and beautiful and imperfect in all the right ways.  That said At Dawn = Northern Soul. 

I guess the conclusion to this folly is that the criteria for my choice of album 10's was a bit scattered and schizophrenic (Hmmmm...based on that, maybe EU should have been my MMJ choice!)  ;D ;D

Cheers!

i could have easily put A Northern Soul in my list, just didn't want to over-do it..that is a beautiful album...ASIH is perfect, too, but maybe not a 10. I heard ANS AFTER i heard Urban Hymns..The Verve are my favorite brit pop band of all time and UH is my favorite album of all time. Not sure I've found an album where EVERY SONG is its own masterpiece in that way.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Quote from: blucas on Mar 27, 2012, 09:21 PM

AIC, Dirt

YES!

Cheers!

i could have easily put A Northern Soul in my list, just didn't want to over-do it..that is a beautiful album...ASIH is perfect, too, but maybe not a 10. I heard ANS AFTER i heard Urban Hymns..The Verve are my favorite brit pop band of all time and UH is my favorite album of all time. Not sure I've found an album where EVERY SONG is its own masterpiece in that way.
You know my thoughts on the matter girly.  :thumbsup:

bowl of soup

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 27, 2012, 11:41 PM
QuoteI do not agree.  I think the production on Nevermind by Butch Vig is masterful. Ten was never my thing, so I'm sure about that. Seems to be a common refrain from my 90's friends, "It's allright, but it sounds like a Boston album - all clean sounding and shit." I went along with this nonsense for about 15 years and then came to my senses.  Watch Butch in that documentary take the songs apart piece by piece - it's really mesmerizing.

I've seen it, I agree he did some amazing things.  I prefer the production and overall sound and vibe on In Utero, I'm a huge Albini fan....I think Butch just popped Nevermind up a bit too much for the greater good.  If you really get right down to it was his production on that album caused Kurt to shoot himself in the head with a shotgun.  I guess that ends up either being amazing production or shitty production depending on how you look at it.     ;)

Well that's a bit heavy. Other factors were involved including a total inability to keep heroin out of his veins.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Mar 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 27, 2012, 11:41 PM

Well that's a bit heavy. Other factors were involved including a total inability to keep heroin out of his veins.
Wait, I thought that crazy bitch Courtney had him killed?! No?

Jaimoe

De Stijl
Pink Moon
Moondance
Kind of Blue
Rain Dogs
Roger the Engineer
Truth

buaawwww

Just a couple off the top of my head...

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - "Streetcore"
Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run"
Grateful Dead - "American Beauty"
Grateful Dead - "Workingman's Dead"
Pearl Jam - "Pearl Jam"
Pearl Jam - "Ten"
Blind Melon - "Blind Melon"
Blind Melon - "Soup"
MMJ - "Z"
MMJ - "It Still Moves"
Screaming Trees - "Sweet Oblivion"
Black Crowes - "Amorica"
The Who - "Who's Next"
Rolling Stones - "Exile On Main Street"

I know I am forgetting some...

BH

Quote from: buaawwww on Mar 28, 2012, 03:58 PM

Blind Melon - "Soup"
Black Crowes - "Amorica"
Rolling Stones - "Exile On Main Street"

2nded!!!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

And blucas, PM-Outside Love.   I think I like you.   :-*
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

blucas

Quote from: BH on Mar 28, 2012, 04:17 PM

Pink Mountaintops, Amorica...

But mostly... BLIND MELON... :D :D :D...I think I like you too BH  :-*

and :thumbsup: to your list Buuuaaawww!

I was touched when JJ named Shannon as one of the inspirations for The Way That He Sings in VH1 Storytellers.  That statement made sense of the world by linking two of my "man crushes" who were otherwise a decade or so apart.  If I wasn't a man, I might have cried (cough, cough).  I saw Blind Melon on the Soup tour about 2 weeks before Shannon died  :'(.  I'm gonna take a couple of body blows  for saying this, but to me Shannon Hoon was a greater loss than Kurt Cobain.

BH

Quote from: blucas on Mar 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
Quote from: BH on Mar 28, 2012, 04:17 PM

Pink Mountaintops, Amorica...

But mostly... BLIND MELON... :D :D :D...I think I like you too BH  :-*

and :thumbsup: to your list Buuuaaawww!

I was touched when JJ named Shannon as one of the inspirations for The Way That He Sings in VH1 Storytellers.  That statement made sense of the world by linking two of my "man crushes" who were otherwise a decade or so apart.  If I wasn't a man, I might have cried (cough, cough).  I saw Blind Melon on the Soup tour about 2 weeks before Shannon died  :'(.  I'm gonna take a couple of body blows  for saying this, but to me Shannon Hoon was a greater loss than Kurt Cobain.

Agreed.    I saw him around that same time although it was probably more than 2 weeks before.    What a great live show.   :'(

Jackets N Pones

Led Zeppelin II
MMJ - It Still Moves
MMJ - Z
Bruce - Tunnel of Love
Bruce - Born in the U.S.A.
Guns N' Roses - Appetite
Pearl Jam - Vs.
NUINY
Delta Spirit - Ode to Sunshine
M. Ward - Hold Time
The National - Boxer
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
Dawes - Nothing is Wrong

Honorable Mention
Primus - Pork Soda
Fat Pat - Ghetto Dreams
Various Artists - WWF The Music, Vol. 4
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

lucylew

Absolutely postively losing Shannon was a much bigger deal to me than Kurt.  Heartbreaking.  Quite frankly, I've never been as affected by the loss of one of my musical heroes as I was absolutely devastated by Shannon's death.

RIP.

zanjam

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 25, 2012, 11:26 PM

TN FIRE - Saw God
At Dawn - Felt God
It Still Moves - Touched God

Slow, Slow and Movin Away are two of my favorite songs they've written, so I'm still really looking forward to the next chapter.  :-*

Word. 

Interesting what you say about these two tunes.  It took a little while for them to grow on me (much longer for Movin than Slow) and I've felt that they were special, albeit not as gripping as so many other MMJ songs, IMO.  But I still can't shake them no matter how hard I try!  Slow Tune has become magical to me at this point.  I, too, can't wait to see what the next direction is.  It's all good, as far as I'm concerned.  Which is funny, since I'm the "pickiest Deadhead" you might ever meet.  But in my eyes MMJ can ALMOST do no wrong ;)
anything + reverb always = better

blucas

Quote from: lucylew on Mar 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Absolutely postively losing Shannon was a much bigger deal to me than Kurt.  Heartbreaking.  Quite frankly, I've never been as affected by the loss of one of my musical heroes as I was absolutely devastated by Shannon's death.

RIP.

RIP

Soup live at Woodstock '94