Bobby Bare Jr. - A Storm-A Tree-My Mothers Head

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Jun 09, 2010, 03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteBH - when you saw them did they have a pedal steel player or no?  Just curious if they'll have one at this show coming up tomorrow...

Yes.  The guy that played pedal steel for Blue Giant alternated between bass and pedal steel for BBJ if I remember right.   He was awesome.  Him and Anita (Blue Giant Lead Guitar) traded licks all night with each other.  They sounded great together.

Tommorow night eh?   Make sure you don't miss Blue Giant.

AHW-SUM!  I love me some pedal steel.  Glad both bands will have it tomorrow night!  I hope we don't miss the show, PERIOD.  We have a 4 hr drive, and they don't sell advance tickets.  The guy at the venue told me not to worry, that the $10 cover charge would "keep away the locals" and we'd have no problem getting in...we friggin' better or I will bash some skullz  :D

have fun tomorrow, hawkeye!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

QuoteBH - when you saw them did they have a pedal steel player or no?  Just curious if they'll have one at this show coming up tomorrow...

Yes.  The guy that played pedal steel for Blue Giant alternated between bass and pedal steel for BBJ if I remember right.   He was awesome.  Him and Anita (Blue Giant Lead Guitar) traded licks all night with each other.  They sounded great together.

Tommorow night eh?   Make sure you don't miss Blue Giant.

AHW-SUM!  I love me some pedal steel.  Glad both bands will have it tomorrow night!  I hope we don't miss the show, PERIOD.  We have a 4 hr drive, and they don't sell advance tickets.  The guy at the venue told me not to worry, that the $10 cover charge would "keep away the locals" and we'd have no problem getting in...we friggin' better or I will bash some skullz  :D

You should be fine.  Bobby is actually pretty big here in the STL and it still didn't sell out.   I'm guessing worst case for a show like this, is that it will sell out late with walk up and you'll beat that crowd for sure.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Don't we always joke about MMJ doing this?   How cool.....

BOBBY IS LOOKING FOR LARGE FRIENDLY LIVING ROOMS TO PLAY HIS SONGS IN - NO AMPS - NO MICS - JUST BOBBY AND HIS RED AND YELLOW GUITAR- AND A TAMBOURINE BENEATH HIS FOOT - tickets will be available as soon as host homes are selected and confirmed - -

HERE ARE THE DATES WE ARE LOOKING TO FILL

INDIANAPOLIS IN - DEC 16th
LEXINGTON KY  - DEC 17TH
BIRMINGHAM AL - DEC 21st
CHATTANOOGA TN - DEC 22nd
SAN ANTONIO TX  - DEC 27TH
NYC/JERSEY AREA  - JAN 13TH

HERE IS HOW WORKS
Please get in touch if you want to host a show. We'll make this as easy as possible for the hosts. All you have to do is let us borrow your living room for a couple of hours and in return you'll get 3 free tickets for friends and our eternal gratitude.

Here's how it works.

1. You have a house or loft space that can comfortably and safely host 30-40 people. A place with a big living room, finished basement or other indoor residential space would be ideal. There would need to be enough parking nearby and your neighbors should be cool. It would be a huge bummer if someone called the cops because of all the extra cars and people coming to your house. You probably should not do this if you live in a small apartment with a bunch of uptight neighbors or a cranky landlord.

2. The shows will not be open to the public and no tickets will be sold at the door. We will pre-sell a set number of tickets for each show on our website before the show. Be realistic on how many people your place can hold. We need to know how many tickets we can sell in advance AND  how many square feet the room is. Ticket prices will be $20. If we don't get at least 20 tickets sold by the week before the show won't happen.

3. We will provide you with a detailed list of everyone who will be coming to the show. This way the host won't have to deal with money and will only need to check people off the list as they arrive.

4. The host can have 3 free tickets for the show. If you have other friends who want to come to the show you can direct them to the link to buy tickets on-line.

5. The shows usually start at around 8pm. We'll ask people to arrive around 7:30pm. It should be over by around 9:30pm. We'll make it clear to everyone that they should be out of your house by 10pm.

7. You don't need to provide any sort of sound system. All you need is a place for Bobby to sit while playing. A small coffee table with a lamp or a floor lamp would be cool too.

8. Your home address will not be published on the web and only given to those people who purchase tickets.

9. The shows will not be promoted or advertised anywhere except our websites.

After reading all of this and you are interested please send an e-mail to: amypoj@gmail.com

Thank you for your interest and support.

BH

New York peeps should see this!

SHELEBRATION! A tribute to the works of Shel Silverstein, produced by Hal Willner
Saturday, August 6, 2011
7:00 p.m.
NYC -CENTRAL PARK

This amazing evening will feature an exceptional gathering of musicians and special celebrity guests performing unique interpretations of Silverstein's beloved songs and poetry as well as the debut of works from Silverstein's forthcoming poetry collection, Everything On It. Artists include Bobby Bare Jr., Pat Dailey and a diverse set of singers including Sally Timms of the Mekons and other special guests from the worlds of comedy and television. Join SummerStage as we bring to life the energy and joyfulness of these timeless works and celebrate the virtuosity of a man that millions around the world have grown up with.
Shel Silverstein is best known as the author and illustrator of many iconic books of prose and poetry, including such modern classics as "The Giving Tree," "Lafcadio: The Lion Who Shot Back," "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic." These works are characterized by their deft mixing of the sly, the serious, the macabre and the just plain silly. As an acclaimed songwriter, Silverstein has enjoyed credits that include "The Unicorn" for the Irish Rovers and "A Boy Named Sue" for Johnny Cash, among others. His unique imagination and bold brand of humor are beloved by children and adults throughout the world.
** This evening's performances have been specially curated by Hal Willner, one of the most well respected and eclectic original producers in contemporary music, TV and live spectacles. Mr. Willner has been at the forefront of producing unique and engaging events running the gamut from pop to jazz to the avant-garde. **

weeniebeenie

I just got this same email. I wish I could go. I still haven't listened to A Storm A Tree My Mothers head though. It's a funny story actually. I donated to the BBJr Documentary so I'm supposed to get a signed CD but the people keep having to send it out cause Customs keep sending it back or it get's lost and they have to get Bobby to sign a new one. It's taken longer than any 10 Club shipment ever...
How loud can silence get?

BH

BH

Anybody in NY interested in seeing this?   I want to see it bad so a report from someone is the next best thing.   Should feature interviews of MMJ members.   I think it's going to be VERY entertaining.

*DON'T FOLLOW ME I'M LOST GOES ON TOUR*

**NYC PREMIERE!
DON'T FOLLOW ME (I'm Lost) will be screening at DOC NYC!
Sun, Nov 11, 9:30p (Bobby Bare Jr. in Attendance)   and Thurs, Nov 15th, 9p
http://www.docnyc.net/film/dont-follow-me-im-lost
http://www.facebook.com/events/329998013765363/
@docnycfest  #docnyc

DON'T FOLLOW ME (I'm Lost) will be screening at the Indie Memphis Film Festival!
Sat, Nov 03, 6:45 PM
http://indiememphis.festivalgenius.com/2012/films/dontfollowmeimlost_williammiller_indiememphis2012
http://www.facebook.com/events/320268471405802/
@indiememphis

**INTERNATIONAL PREMIERE! Barcelona!
DON'T FOLLOW ME (I'm Lost) will be screening at the In-Edit International Music Documentary Festival in Barcelona!
Sun Oct 28, 22:30  and Sat Nov 3, 18:30
http://www.in-edit.beefeater.es/webapp/pelicula;jsessionid=14dlvtxtjc7bf?peli_id=516&ed_id=4
@ineditbeefeater

DON'T FOLLOW ME (I'm Lost) will be screening at the In-Edit International Music Documentary Festival in BERLIN!
Wed, Oct 31, 19:00   and  Sat, Nov 3rd, 18:30
http://www.in-edit.de/85389/790107/filme-international/bobby-bare-jr-dont-follow-me-(im-lost)
@Inedit_De

England!
DON'T FOLLOW ME (I'm Lost) will be screening at The Soundtrack International Film & Music Festival in CardifF, UK
Thurs, Nov 15, 18:30
http://www.soundtrackfilmfestival.com/programme/
@Soundtrack_Fest

subinai

thanks for posting. i'll try to check out the nyc showing.

johnnYYac

That looks great!  I loved seeing him open for New Multitudes last year.  Need more of his music, me thinks...

Bobby Bare Jr. opening for New Multitudes at Paradise, Boston on Friday, March 16, 2012
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Angelo

So I've been trying to find this answer myself and haven't had any luck - Is this the one and only studio collab between BBJ and members of MMJ? If not what else is out there?

Edit: so I see they did The Longest Meow too. Anything else?

GO4IT

Quote from: Angelo on Jul 04, 2014, 10:02 AM
So I've been trying to find this answer myself and haven't had any luck - Is this the one and only studio collab between BBJ and members of MMJ? If not what else is out there?

Well there's Bobby's refereeing of the staring contest between Jim and Chris Funk at Newport last year.   :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Angelo

Ouch. My bad for opening up old wounds GO4IT.

GO4IT

Quote from: Angelo on Jul 05, 2014, 10:42 AM
Ouch. My bad for opening up old wounds GO4IT.

Well, not your fault, but that one is still a bit raw.  Not exactly what most of us were expecting from Jim.

BH

Quote from: Angelo on Jul 04, 2014, 10:02 AM

I think that was it.     They both played a big roll in putting together the Shel Silverstein tribute album but I can't think of anything else.   

I like the new album but I don't love it like I love his others.

In addition to The Longest Meow and a Storm A Tree My Mother's Head, the following three are also must have's if you are looking to explore. 

BH

Anybody happen to be at last night's BBJ show in Nashville.   Supposed to be lots of special guests including Carl.

tippitoes22

Didn't catch the Nashville show, but he's played in Chicago 3 times in the last 4-5 months, and I've been at all three. Its actually astonishing that BBJr isn't more well known than he is. He's oozing talent and is Nashville royalty. His neighbors were George Jones and Tammy Wynette. Not too mention his Dad, Bobby Bare. If I'm not mistaken he won his first of hopefully more Grammys at the tender age of seven. And is the most self deprecating, goofy, talented, just all around nice guy, with talent seeping outta his pores. Both BBJr and the young criminals starvation Legue just jump ouuta your speakers. And I defy you not to be moved by his cover of "Shell Silverstein's" -Things I didn't say. Just...great...! And his solo work is just heartfelt, playful, silly and moving. You can get just about all his albums on CD for bout $5(a steal for the sheer talent locked in those tracks). Plus if you've got two ears and a heart get his EP "American Bread" a album of just "America" & "Bread" covers!!! What more can I say... A LOT. But I'll leave you with that for now.                             

P.S. If you don't have"Twistable Turnable man" all Shell Silverstein covers stop reading this post, get it, and post once you've listened to it twice. Produced by Bare Sr. And BB jr. Who were good friends with the man himself. Living in Nashville hanging out in your kitchen with the man who wrote "a boy named sue", "cover of rolling stone" an American treasure who penned one of the best works of American poetry "Where the Sidewalk ends"!?! I can only imagine the pure GENIOUS he was exposed too from an early age to the present. Do yourself a favor and check him out.
Just one guys opinion... All the best roll callers and forum members, alike.
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Angelo

Thanks for the tip BH. I'll add them to my list.

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Aug 01, 2014, 06:22 AM
Plus if you've got two ears and a heart get his EP "American Bread" a album of just "Bread" covers!!!

It's both bands Bread and America. Neither of which I care for but Bobby's versions are great!

tippitoes22

Thanks for the correction "wheelhousetunes". I updated my post, and your absolutely correct. It is "America" & "Bread" covers, Hence the name, "American Bread". That's what I get for being verbose, while drunk, typing on a phone :)

P.S. Spose that's why the internet exist's. To correct dumb asses like me :) No harm, no foul.

Cheers!
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him