Bo Koster's defining moment...

Started by atomicpunk, Nov 23, 2010, 06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomicpunk

What do you think is his finest moment as a member of MMJ?  Personally, I think it's in "Steam Engine" from Okonokos.  

It's the part where it's just he and Pat at the end and he's laying down some spacey, funky keys.  It just seems to fit so perfectly.  No overplaying, but just...  perfect.  So simple, yet so beautiful.  The parts were stuck in my head during all my classes today lol.  Sorta pathetic, but I don't care.    

And for the record, I think Bo is the most underrated member of MMJ.  He can drive the song like in "Anytime" or he can hang back and really accentuate what Tom and Pat are doing.    

Is there much out there written about his playing?  I'm trying to pick up on his influences.  Seems very jazz and funk influenced.    Can't really put my finger on it!

I hope he's a cool dude, too because at the next MMJ show I go to I'm getting a picture with him lol.
... Is all the proof you need.

ralph

keyboard breakdown during Cobra at the T5 run... It was like he was channeling Echoes era Rick Wright, and thats gotta be a good thing
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

johnnYYac

I dug a few pages back and found a post of mine from May, a lengthy interview with Bo well worth checking out.  I met Bo the morning after the Portland, Maine show at Starbucks and he is the nicest guy.  Check out the Live on Letterman video, which gives Bo a lot of coverage, really allows you to appreciate how busy he is behind those keys, which many of us fail to appreciate as we watch Jim run around.

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1272902834

Here's the video, if you don't want to visit the old thread.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5AbmFq8dYY[/media]
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kydiddle

Quotekeyboard breakdown during Cobra at the T5 run... It was like he was channeling Echoes era Rick Wright, and thats gotta be a good thing

^ This. No question. Good call, ralph.
Cow temperature.

buymycar

Dancefloors wouldn't be Dancefloors without Bo.  Live, of course.

weeniebeenie

I really love the piano part in Strangulation! from Acoustic Chorale.
How loud can silence get?

johnnYYac

I've always dug his part in Lay Low, especially live versions where he rolls the keys at the end of the epic jam, sorely missed in the album cut from Z (EDIT: its also missing from the live version on Okonokos :'().
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

vwxg14a

QuoteI've always dug his part in Lay Low, especially live versions where he rolls the keys at the end of the epic jam, sorely missed in the album cut from Z.

Totally agree with this.  It reminds me of the end of Freebird and the dueling keyboards and guitars.  
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Honest Man

I agree Bo doesn't get much credit. I must say his run at the end of Steam Engine live is friggin awesome.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

moses malone

his piano playing on Knot Comes Loose from Live at the Palms, especially the outro part with just him and the pedal steel, is awful purty