Most underrated MMJ tracks?

Started by ManNamedTruth, Sep 12, 2012, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

yeah First Light is by far (by far) my least favorite jacket song.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

TheThird

Quote from: manonthemoon on Jul 25, 2013, 10:06 PM
Quote from: Fully on Jul 25, 2013, 06:19 PM
Quote from: Willard1979 on Jul 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
I don't hear enough praise for First Light. It's become one of my favorites.  :drum:

Maybe because it has terrible lyrics? I love hearing it live, but Jim was having major writer's block the day he pulled those lyrics out of his ass.

Yeah, not a fan, the only thing I like about the song is the Sax part of Carl's.

Carl's Sax is about the only thing that could save those Go-awful lyrics. I agree with Fully that Jim must've had some major writers block that day...
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

HardNightConformist

Forgot to mention Dancefloors. Such a fun song.

I just got my license and my oh my is driving to MMJ ever a good time hahaha Mahgeetah was the first song I ever drove to.

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

davymac

My top 3 under appreciated/played songs

If all else fails
How could I know
Come closer

I'd love to see these gems live

Fully

Quote from: davymac on Jul 26, 2013, 06:28 AM

If all else fails
How could I know
Come closer

Me too Davy Mac, me too.

robb

Quote from: davymac on Jul 26, 2013, 06:28 AM

If all else fails
How could I know
Come closer

i've been fortunate enough to see 2 out of the 3, and they were both fantastic.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

dookie shoot bandit

Gotta say these are my top most underrated songs:

Friends again
By my car
Into the woods
Knot comes loose
Oxen

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Engine of Dondante

Knot Comes Loose
Into the Woods
Aluminum Park
I Will Sing You Songs
Just Because I Do
Movin' Away

Knot Comes Loose! I love that song, very melodic and psychedelic tune that really has a vintage late 60s/early 70s atmosphere. Nobody ever talks about this one and MMJ never plays it live.

Into the Woods is seemingly universally hated by fans and I guess I can see why, it is a bizarre song with goofy lyrics, but I adore it. Love the demented carnivalesque keyboard riff juxtaposed with the crazy imagery and the baritone chorus to close the track is simultaneously creepy, uplifting AND melodic! Brilliant song.

I Will Sing You Songs is definitely liked by fans, but nobody seems to talk about it too much and MMJ doesnt play it much either some reason. its one of their best songs, especially structurally. From the hazy intro that gently slides into the gorgeous verse with Jim's voice in top form until the crescendo of crashing cymbals and raging guitars arrives with the vocals
simply soaring over the music for max dramatic effect. Then, when you think its over, the awesomely subtle psychedelic raggae outro comes in and the song somehow becomes even more amazing. Can you tell I love this song? A top 10 Jacket song easy.

Aluminum Park just rocks. The Jacket does their best bar band impression with this fiery and
just plain fun song. The lyrics might not be amazing, but the music is on point and the chorus is gold! Love the Springsteenesque piano at the end and the joyously raucous guitars match
Jimmy's shouts to perfection. Flows perfectly into Remnants, which an underrated track in its own right.

Finally, Just Because I Do is never talked about but I think its a perfect Southern style rocker that doesn't overstay its welcome. This bad boy rocks! Love the harmonica and guitar jamming in unison and love it when all the instruments build up and then abruptly stop right before the catchy as all get out chorus. MMJ NEEDS to play this more!

Movin Away has some of Jim's most heartfelt lyrics and easily one of his finest vocal performances. Saw this live at the Mann a couple years back and got goosebumps due to Jim's absolutely flawless singing. The trippy waltz ending is a great touch too. Just a warm song with a wonderful message that doesn't get enough love.

Well those are my picks with a little description showering these songs with the attention and love they deserve because they simply don't get enough of either.
With boar and moving trees

LBSUNFLWR

Knot Comes Loose has always been a favorite of mine.

Rollin Back too, didn't pay that much attention to it until recently. It's surely a great song!! Would love to see that live.

BH

Quote from: TheThird on Jul 25, 2013, 11:26 PM
I don't hear enough praise for First Light. It's become one of my favorites.  :drum:

Maybe because it has terrible lyrics? I love hearing it live, but Jim was having major writer's block the day he pulled those lyrics out of his ass.

Yeah, not a fan, the only thing I like about the song is the Sax part of Carl's.

Carl's Sax is about the only thing that could save those Go-awful lyrics. I agree with Fully that Jim must've had some major writers block that day...

The first "light" of the day is always the best.   Whether it comes in the morning or later in the night.   My search was over.  My blood filled with "gold"!   My own inner light.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

refundpolicy

Quote from: exist10z on Sep 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
I would add Librarian, it appears everyone hates that song, but I think it's great (not great like top 10 necessarily, but I dig it).

For sure...

Fully

Quote from: BH on Aug 02, 2013, 03:58 PM

The first "light" of the day is always the best.   Whether it comes in the morning or later in the night.   My search was over.  My blood filled with "gold"!   My own inner light.

Are you interpreting these lyrics as being about smoking, BH?

buster douglas

Counterpoint!:

First I was an ancient, then I was an infant, now I am alive.

This lyric has really stuck with me since day one.  Just a really nice simple assessment about the ascent of man... I think.

Not gonna write a treatise on the rest of the song but I really like this one line. :beer:

Fully

Quote from: buster douglas on Aug 13, 2013, 12:02 AM

Counterpoint!:

First I was an ancient, then I was an infant, now I am alive.

This lyric has really stuck with me since day one.  Just a really nice simple assessment about the ascent of man... I think.

Not gonna write a treatise on the rest of the song but I really like this one line. :beer:

You know what, as much as I hate the lyrics of this song, that is the one shining lyrical moment on it. It is a quite good. :beer:

pattilovesmmj

I agree.  I was listenting to the song this morning on my way to work, and the words I sang out loud were those words.  Kind of profound.