Most underrated MMJ tracks?

Started by ManNamedTruth, Sep 12, 2012, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Thank You Too! and The Day is Coming consistently don't get much love around here, but I'm a fan of both songs. Both represent the soul music fan side of Jim James well. Thank You Too! was a breath of fresh air on what was a perplexing album at the time of release.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

zanjam

Love em both.  Also Two Halves, Slow Tune and Movin Away.  Now, pretty much everyone besides you and me would say that they are not underrated, but that they suck. 

I don't think I liked them all immediately...but came to appreciate over time. 
anything + reverb always = better

ItBeats4Jew

after listening to Touch Me Pt. 1 from Raleigh, it finally dawned on me that it sounds like it could be a Ween song...and I fucking love me some Ween! 
what Madonna said really helped

exist10z

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Thank You Too! and The Day is Coming consistently don't get much love around here, but I'm a fan of both songs. Both represent the soul music fan side of Jim James well. Thank You Too! was a breath of fresh air on what was a perplexing album at the time of release.

Couldn't agree more and have said as much in other threads.  I was stoked when they played TDIC last night at The Wiltern.

I would add Librarian, it appears everyone hates that song, but I think it's great (not great like top 10 necessarily, but I dig it).
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

zanjam

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
after listening to Touch Me Pt. 1 from Raleigh, it finally dawned on me that it sounds like it could be a Ween song...and I fucking love me some Ween!
Oh, yeah...I hear you on that. 

meltingaway

not sure if these are underrated but def underplayed (if even played live at all):

chills
can you see the hard helmet on my head

i love these songs, maybe they just don't translate so well live, but i think the boys could tinker with them and make them work

i'd also love to see them bring come closer and how do you know back to life...

but whatever they be doin, i be drankin that kool-aid

Fully

Of course, there's always some hate for Remnants. But I've mentioned that I love it. It's not in the absolute top of their catalog, but it does fill a need for headbanging Judas Priest style rock. It always makes me want to throw some devil horns. \m/

manonthemoon

Masterplan

Hardly ever get to hear that one, but to me its one of the most solid.
Alive or Just Breathing

zanjam

Quote from: Fully on Sep 12, 2012, 08:58 PM
Of course, there's always some hate for Remnants. But I've mentioned that I love it. It's not in the absolute top of their catalog, but it does fill a need for headbanging Judas Priest style rock. It always makes me want to throw some devil horns. \m/
I understand the hating on the lite rock, but Remnants, no way.  One of my absolute faves. \m/

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

lpkell2145

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 12, 2012, 09:01 PM
Masterplan

Totally agree. Masterplan is wassup. I love the heck out of that song.

Another underrated one is I Needed it Most. When I first heard that song I was like, Well damn that boy is just flat out singing his ass off!

Have never heard either of them live though. Not yet at least.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
20 times I wish you'd understand...

logan5ive

Strangulation
Devil's Peanut Butter
Into The Woods
The Day Is Coming
If It Smashes Down
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

CHIMMJFAN

For me it's "COME CLOSER", love this song. I really wish it would get played more at shows.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

kotchishm

Quote from: lpkell2145 on Sep 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
Masterplan

Another underrated one is I Needed it Most. When I first heard that song I was like, Well damn that boy is just flat out singing his ass off!

Totally agree.  I'm sure most have heard this one, but this version (and whole session) is incredible.  One of my favorite things ever.  Jim solo.

"wow. probably the most amazing that jim james has ever sounded. he was sitting in the middle of his own echo chamber, which is the old health center's "radiology room". he delivered some of the most heartfelt songs i've ever heard, and has since gone on to make quite a name for himself."

http://bit.ly/QJtJJb

1. Bermuda Highway
2. Lowdown
3. Hopefully
4. Nashville to Kentucky
5. I Needed it Most
6. I Will Be There When You Die
7. Just Because I Do
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

armando

Quote from: kotchishm on Sep 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Masterplan

Totally agree.  I'm sure most have heard this one, but this version (and whole session) is incredible.  One of my favorite things ever.  Jim solo.

"wow. probably the most amazing that jim james has ever sounded. he was sitting in the middle of his own echo chamber, which is the old health center's "radiology room". he delivered some of the most heartfelt songs i've ever heard, and has since gone on to make quite a name for himself."

http://www.archive.org/download/http://archive.org/details/mmj2001-03-17.KVRX_Radio

1. Bermuda Highway
2. Lowdown
3. Hopefully
4. Nashville to Kentucky
5. I Needed it Most
7. Just Because I Do

Thanks for the link to this, kotchishm. Absolutely stunning.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

zanjam

Ooh la la...listening to that KVRX radio show and it is gorgeous!  I hadn't heard it before.  Thanks!!

robb

just because i do is the correct answer.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Fully

Masterplan

1. Bermuda Highway
2. Lowdown
3. Hopefully
4. Nashville to Kentucky
5. I Needed it Most
7. Just Because I Do
Very nice. It even calmed me down after my argument with Zanjam.

lpkell2145

Masterplan

1. Bermuda Highway
2. Lowdown
3. Hopefully
4. Nashville to Kentucky
5. I Needed it Most
7. Just Because I Do

This is painstakingly gorgeous. Almost too much to take. Thank you for posting!!
20 times I wish you'd understand...