Twilight Singers *question for Soup (or anyone)

Started by Tracy 2112, Apr 03, 2012, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

So, I took your advice and got Blackberry Belle and comparing it to Powder Burns (which you got me hooked on) I have to go with PB as being myfav of the 2. Unless, something is going to happen with BB that may take some more time?

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mjk73

Both are fantastic albums. Love is in the eye of the beholder errr ear of the listener. Case in point, I prefer The Bends over OK Computer by miles and I'm in the very tiny minority. And I'm ok with that. There is nothing wrong with preferring PB of BB.

bowl of soup

I do think that I instantly loved PB more upon first listen.  It's more personal anf the themes of moving away and changing struck and instant chord with me. BB is over ten years old at this point and I probably play it from 1st note to last more than anything I own.

There's an interview out there somewhere (I can't find it) where Dulli goes in depth about what BB is about.  He says it starts with a suicide (Martin Eden; read the Jack London book if you haven't allready) and then goes back in time to recount the events that lead up to that event explaing the really high and low moments all over BB.

I personally love that even what sound on the surface as really high moments (Teenage Wristband especially) are really, really dark.  "Tell you momma fever come back again..break it easy to your boyfriend..." It's really a song about taking off with an old girlfriend to find the drugs and destroy yourself, helpless to stop.

It also ends with the greatest Dulli / Lannegan collaboration - Number Nine.  Keep listening and you may change your mind.  You're still a good person if you don't - there's nothing wrong with PB.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

bowl of soup

Well this has ruined my afternoon - the never ending search for a certain interview on the interweb.  This one comes a little close:

http://www.whisperinandhollerin.com/chat/chat.asp?id=1126
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

OK, now I am starting to get it. I did that thing where I get something new and listen to it non-stop for a couple of days, put it down, and then pick it back up a week or so later.

The Killer got me > I have to believe the pulsing keyboards at the start is either the rush of or withdrawal of some said drug (either way, that sound reminds me of something that filled my head from time to time in the 80's). Then the opening lyric, "I think we're lost don't worry I've been here before".

Any other little gems like that on here?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.