Dr. John w/Dan Auerbach

Started by Sticky Icky Green Stuff, Apr 03, 2012, 09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

anybody hear this album yet?  it's pretty fun so far.  haven't gotten all the way thru it yet, didn't see a thread, sorry if it's been posted:

Dr. John - Getwaway

Murph

listened to a bunch of it on Spotify today and it is pretty awesome.  "Fun" is a good word to describe it.  Guitar outro on Getaway is some of the best I've heard from Dan Auerbach

EasyRyder

I may be off base here being biased and a New Orleanian, but this is up there with my favorite Dr. John albums. I would describe it as much more than fun!!!

Dan really compliments the Doctor beautifully without losing his identity or being overpowering...this is my favorite album of the year easily (I've said that 3 times so far this year at least, a good sign??  ;D)...My Children, My Angels  :o :o :o...I didn't skip a track. Did not see this coming.

Oh and anyone know who played bass on this??

PS that solo on Getaway is beyond. i'm with you, Murph
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

yakeroo

They are performing on Jimmy Fallon tonight. Enjoyed what I have heard so far, wish I would not have missed these two in the superjam at Bonnaroo last year.

woodnymph

Whoa thanks for posting this up, Sticky!!  This is killer!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: EasyRyder on Apr 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
I may be off base here being biased and a New Orleanian, but this is up there with my favorite Dr. John albums. I would describe it as much more than fun!!!

Dan really compliments the Doctor beautifully without losing his identity or being overpowering...this is my favorite album of the year easily (I've said that 3 times so far this year at least, a good sign??  ;D)...My Children, My Angels  :o :o :o...I didn't skip a track. Did not see this coming.

Oh and anyone know who played bass on this??

PS that solo on Getaway is beyond. i'm with you, Murph

as per the notes on the youtube for getaway:
Dr. John - keyboards, lead vocals
Dan Auerbach - guitar, percussion, background vocals
Max Weissenfeldt - drums, percussion, background vocals
Leon Michels - keyboards, percussion, woodwinds, background vocals
Nick Movshon - electric and upright bass, percussion, background vocals
Brian Olive - guitar, percussion, woodwinds, background vocals
The McCrary Sisters (Regina, Ann & Alfreda) - background vocals

oistheone

I feel like I should found a Nick Movshon fan club. This guy is such a legend of the bottom-end. He's everywhere these days and I can't get enough of his tasty, tasty bass work.

Anyway, this album is great. Dr. John was right, this definitely is "real HIP". Dan Auerbach does a fine job producing, but a lot of the credit should go to the stellar musicians he surrounded the Night Tripper with. Leon Michels, and Nick Movshon like I mentioned, are all legends of the soul scene right now, both as musicians and arrangers. And Brian Olive, the former Greenhorne and Soledad Brother, is such an underrated musician -- the guy can play everything AND write.

It's not likely, but I would LOVE to see Dr. John tour with the "Locked Down" band.

(Weird semi-related anecdote -- the day after last year's Bonnaroo Superjam, I ended up having lunch next to Brian Olive and Max, the drummer, and heard them talking about the jam. Didn't want to bother them because they looked like they were enjoying the food as much as I was.)

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Nick Movshon has a nice feel for sure.  it sounds like they recorded his amp with mics then mic'd the room too rather than just DI'ing him.  his tone is really incredible on this.  love that he played with wu tang. smooth thumpin.

EasyRyder

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

wolof7

pretty badass album...lovin my children, my angels
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

kotchishm

Such a pleasant surprise.  This album kills
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

oistheone

Can't waaaaait to pick up the vinyl. Dr. John's vocals haven't sounded this good in years -- he's turned into a creole Tom Waits.

And the more I listen to this, the more clear it becomes that Auerbach took COMPLETE control over this project. It's like he said when producing Hacienda's latest album: "If it's gonna have my name on it, I'm gonna make sure it's fucking good." This leads to a record that has about ten times more guitar solos than any other Dr. John album in my collection, but who can complain when the results sound this good?

subinai

i think this is going to be the soundtrack to my back yard for the summer.

MrWhippy

Just gave this a spin after hearing good things from friends and from you guys on here.

Mucho impressed!
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

TheThird

I'll echo the love for My Children, My Angels although the whole album is spectacular!  :thumbsup:
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

jimsflyingv

Also I loved El Camino I am very much relieved that Dan did not loose his Blues roots. Great album for the fans of the classic Keys :)

Fully

After listening to you guys wax poetic about this album, I bought it. I have to say all of you are correct. This is a great album, perhaps my favorite I've heard this year as well. I hope my students like it as much as I do.  They are going to be listening to this quite a bit for the rest of this school year. Auerbach and Dr. John complement each other well.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Fully on Apr 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
After listening to you guys wax poetic about this album, I bought it. I have to say all of you are correct. This is a great album, perhaps my favorite I've heard this year as well. I hope my students like it as much as I do.  They are going to be listening to this quite a bit for the rest of this school year. Auerbach and Dr. John complement each other well.

that is so cool, Fully! those kids (as well as JY and TEO's) are so lucky...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

Probably a dumb question but does Auerbach play geetar  on the entire album?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons