Main Menu

Outside Lands 2012

Started by oistheone, Apr 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Based on this being in San Fran and having Neil, Jack, Beck and Stevie effin' Wonder headline, I'd say this is the sweetest lineup of the year.

So the question is... what is the cheapest way for me to do this?

oistheone

There's supposed to be an image there, but it seems to work intermittently.

Stevie Wonder
Metallica
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Jack White
Foo Fighters
Beck
Skrillex
Sigur Ros
Justice
Norah Jones
Dispatch
The Kills
Regina Spektor
Passion Pit
Andrew Bird
Grandaddy
Big Boi
Bloc Party
Explosions In The Sky
Franz Ferdinand
Mstrkrft
Rebelution
Die Antwoord
Fitz and The Tantrums
Portugal. The Man
Amadou & Mariam
Wolfgang Gartner
Fun.
Dr. Dog
The Walkmen
Washed Out
City and Colour
Two Gallants
Of Monsters and Men
Mimosa
Alabama Shakes
Reggie Watts
Trampled By Turtles
Tame Impala
Jovanotti
The Be Good Tanyas
Geographer
Sharon Van Etten
Yacht
Sean Hayes
Bomba Estereo
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Big Gigantic
Thee Oh Sees
Wallpaper
Tennis
Zola Jesus
White Denim
Allen Stone
The M Machine
Michael Kiwanuka
Tanlines
Father John Misty
Electric Guest
Caveman
Yellow Ostrich
Papa
Honey Island Swamp Band
Animal Kingdom

pawpaw

Wow...that's how you book headliners! Metallica is a fuckin' AWESOME live band too, so with them, Stevie Wonder and Neil Young & Crazy Horse...I don't know that I've ever seen a better set of headliners.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

oistheone

I hear ya brother. I've seen deeper festival lineups, but never a top ten that leaves me so stunned by amazingness.

e_wind

Damn son. That is outrageous
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

I think this looks like the best festival lineup I've seen so far. It would be awesome to go....

oistheone

Well, my girlfriend gave me the ol'  "you're fucking crazy for even considering this" look, so looks like I'll be doing this alone.

And yes, I'm fucking crazy for even considering this.

zanjam

Outsidelands is KILLER.  It has gotten progressively better since its first year.  Not a fest for kids, so we leave ours at home and go solo.  This year's lineup is pretty stellar.  Love the local headliners (Neil and Metallica, although I think Metallica in GG Park with 60K other people might get a little crazy) and the second tier (JW, Foos, Beck) is fantastic too (even better, IMO).  Also loving Dr Dog, Portugal. The Man, Alabama Shakes, White Denim, Franz Ferdinand...it's going to be phenomenal this year.  If you want the urban fest experience, this is it.
anything + reverb always = better

oistheone

Glad to have a veteran around these parts!

What can a rookie expect? How does it compare to other festivals? Crazy as hell crowded? How do most people get there? Is transit a disaster? Late sets or do they shut down at 11? Any info would be so very greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

zanjam

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Glad to have a veteran around these parts!

What can a rookie expect? How does it compare to other festivals? Crazy as hell crowded? How do most people get there? Is transit a disaster? Late sets or do they shut down at 11? Any info would be so very greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

Yeah, it can get crazy crowded.  The first year we had to leave Beck b/c it was so crowded we had to go all the way to the back, then were too far away to enjoy anything.  I did stumble upon Lyrics Born once we left, so that was a super cool consolation prize.  And last year I wanted to stay for MGMT before Phish came on, but it was too sceney/crowded and I left for a while and came back for Phish.  If there's a band you really want to see you might have to forgo going around to the other stages and set up camp at YOUR BAND'S stage.  Kinda like any other big fest.

You can take public transit.  They step it up during the fest.  We live in Marin and usually take the bus in and take a cab/catch a ride home.

Last year we took Fri off work and spent the whole day at the fest.  Best move ever.  Obviously the least crowded of the three days which = most enjoyable for us.  Especially during the 1-6pm hours.  Really fun.

Food is endless and delicious.  The Winehaven is like nothing you've ever seen.  Amazing wineries in a beautiful setting.  Hog Island Oysters being shucked right next door to Winehaven.  Last year they had this "Chocolate Forest" where you would walk through cool trees/forest inside the fest and there would be stand after stand of all sorts of delicious desserts, decorated with gumdrops and lollipops hanging from the trees...kinda Willy Wonka.  that's where I went during MGMT and it was one of the highlights of the fest.  totally fun and delicious!  I expect more cool additions this year.  It steps up a notch every year and last year they finally got their groove.  This year will be even better.

Definitely strict on the time thing.  SF residents fight this fest every year so they try to be cool with the ending times (noise).

If you can afford VIP I say this is the place to do it.  It gets you special access (seating/bars/bathrooms - which are nice and inside trailers, not porto potties) at the main stage (Polo Fields), and I think special seating area at Twin Peaks stage, too.  But that's about it. The other stages are smaller and have no VIP anything.

They also have tons of great shows going on around the city at night during the weekend, so the music never stops.

Crowded, yes.  they sell 60K tix per day.  But like any other big fest you just have to take the good with the bad.

Hope you can make it!  I was REALLY hoping for the return of MMJ this year.  Oh, well.  They might just have to play the Greek or something now...

oistheone

Oh goodness, this sounds like heaven. Thanks so much for all the info!

I'm going to buy tickets and figure out the rest later.  ;D

jaye

Quote from: Fully on Apr 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
I think this looks like the best festival lineup I've seen so far. It would be awesome to go....

It does look good, and it's nearby - but I'd so much rather go to Newport.  :(

zanjam

Quote from: jaye on Apr 17, 2012, 04:31 PM
Quote from: Fully on Apr 17, 2012, 12:15 PM

It does look good, and it's nearby - but I'd so much rather go to Newport.  :(

I'm w/ you, girl!!  The grass is always greener, right??  We will still rock out at OSL, tho!  I'll meet you at the Jack White set :)

oistheone

Question for you zanjam -- if I were to Priceline a hotel within walking distance of GG Park (within an hour walk is walking distance for me), would I be set? I imagine that's a pretty nice part of town, but having never been to San Fran, I have no idea. Priceline seems to think I could grab a 2-star room for around $150-$180 a night. Might pull the trigger.

zanjam

I would have to guess that anywhere in the city is an hour's walk from GG park!  And the MUNI options are plentiful.  Wherever you wind up, you won't have a hard time getting around.  Even if your hotel is far from the park, if you're willing to walk you can catch public transit away from all the mayhem after the show.  It just gets hairy when everyone is trying to get on the same bus at the same stop!  The closest neighborhoods are Richmond (inner and outer) and Sunset (inner and outer).  Kinda close are Haight, Cole Valley, Panhandle, Laurel Heights.  Hayes Valley and Japantown a little further.  Then there's downtown and Embarcadero which are kinda far, but you could make it work.

walterfredo

Not to be johnny negative, but I am not a fan of outsidelands whatsoever, it's a logistical nightmare and a massive pain in the arse!  That said, I'll probably go again this year  ;).  Just getting to and from the festival is a nightmare.  I agree with zanjam that they've made improvements each year (first year I literally waited 2 hours to get my tix from will call and missed all of beck and caught one song of the black keys), the radiohead show was the biggest clusterf#ck I've ever experienced!  But wow, yes that lineup is insane, best group of headliners I've seen at a fest in a long time.  Once you're in the park and inside the fest, it is absolutely beautiful to chill in GG park and listen to music, but it can get insanely crowded and getting from one stage to another can be a serious chore (worse that NOLA jazzfest imo)

Lodging near the park is sparse for sure, I've found that getting a cab to take you to the fest is doable, but getting one after is the a whole different story.  Not many options (if any?) in the sunset, maybe a couple in the haight.  Might look into civic center or presidio/cow hollow area (latter will be cheaper).  Both would be a long walk. 

pawpaw

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Question for you zanjam -- if I were to Priceline a hotel within walking distance of GG Park (within an hour walk is walking distance for me), would I be set? I imagine that's a pretty nice part of town, but having never been to San Fran, I have no idea. Priceline seems to think I could grab a 2-star room for around $150-$180 a night. Might pull the trigger.

If I were you, I'd look for something downtown near the Market St corridor, and take the Judah line Muni train to and from the show. There aren't any major hotels near GG Park that I know of...closest is maybe Upper Market near the Castro or Japantown. Maybe do a search for hotels in the Richmond or Sunset districts, there might be something closer.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

oistheone

Thanks sooo much for all the replies guys!

Once I grab tickets, I'm going to Priceline a 2-3 star hotel in either Richmond/Civic Center/Japan Town/Union Square. These are all Priceline-defined areas, so please pardon if they are completely wrong-sounding to locals! Either way, seems like within any of those areas it'd be only a couple miles to GGP.

And as to the "logistical nightmare" of Outside Lands, I'm prepared for it! Haha, what festival that draws headliners this huge isn't a logistical nightmare? Outside Lands seems mega-worth it for the combination of great music, a great park, and a shitload of great wine and food!

ChiefOKONO

very pumped to hear about this!!  i Definitely want to go!!!!!

walterfredo

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 17, 2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks sooo much for all the replies guys!

Once I grab tickets, I'm going to Priceline a 2-3 star hotel in either Richmond/Civic Center/Japan Town/Union Square. These are all Priceline-defined areas, so please pardon if they are completely wrong-sounding to locals! Either way, seems like within any of those areas it'd be only a couple miles to GGP.

And as to the "logistical nightmare" of Outside Lands, I'm prepared for it! Haha, what festival that draws headliners this huge isn't a logistical nightmare? Outside Lands seems mega-worth it for the combination of great music, a great park, and a shitload of great wine and food!

excellent!  Have a blast and enjoy SF, such a great city.  And I think the food at OL is second to only NOLA jazzfest as far as awesomeness goes.  All the 'hoods you're looking at have great food options and things to do as well.  Union Square is basically the 'downtown' area, near the financial district, mall, shops, and tons of people, keep that in mind.