Levon Helm in "final stages"

Started by oistheone, Apr 17, 2012, 04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

From Levon's site:

QuoteDear Friends,
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.

Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration... he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage...

We appreciate all the love and support and concern.
From his daughter Amy, and wife Sandy

This breaks my heart. The Ramble with MMJ was the best night of my life, and I will forever thank Levon for making it possible. An incredible drummer, amazing singer and just one of the "good ol' boys" of rock. So sad to hear this.

Penny Lane

Praying for him to have a peaceful passing. My favorite drummer of all time.. :(
And yes, also glad I made it to a Ramble--wish I could have done it more than once.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

woodnymph

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

wolof7

Wow, this is heartbreaking indeed....Love this man and his music, his legacy is undeniable....please, if you are a fan, pick up his autobiography 'This Wheels on Fire' I garauntee you will love this man moreso after you finish it!

Thanks Levon
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Wow, this is heartbreaking indeed....Love this man and his music, his legacy is undeniable....please, if you are a fan, pick up his autobiography 'This Wheels on Fire' I garauntee you will love this man moreso after you finish it!

Thanks Levon

A good friend of mine loaned me this book a couple years ago--- definitely a must-read!!  Levon is the man....

Wishing him Peace and so much Love
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ChiefOKONO

very sad to hear this news!!!!!

wish i got to see one of his shows but it never worked out.  life is fleeting.. you gotta make the most of it!

ophidiophobia

I wish I could have saw him last weekend in Tulsa. Sucks to hear the news.

BH

God bless you Levon.  Thanks for everything.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bluesky

buaawwww

I can't even begin to describe how sad this news has made me.  The music of The Band has been with me in many important moments in my life and helped me to get through many a tough time.  Watching Levon perform, you could just see how happy he was to be on that stage and performing for the fans.  I got to last see him a few years back opening for the Black Crowes in Central Park.  Was just a beautiful thing watching the fans cheer him.
I took the train home this evening from work and my iPod shuffle came to "Acadian Driftwood" and I swear I thought I was going to cry.  God Bless Levon... Across The Great Divide...  :'(

GO4IT

How sad.  A true icon and leader in the rise of rock in the late 60s and early 70s and constantly on my turntable back in the day.  Levon and The Band were the best and I feel fortunate to have seen them first in their prime in the summer of 1974 and Levon and friends at Newport in 2010, I realize now, for the last time.

I feel that MMJ "channels" The Band into the current era better than anyone and their cover of "It Makes No Difference" just makes it abundantly clear.  The Ramble at Levon's place and this cover at the ISM T5 night a few days later that I was fortunate to witness just seals the deal.

Looks like I'll be fighting back tears and spinning a lot of The Band vinyl the next few days.

Godspeed Levon.

robb

I can't believe it. I saw him perform in Ann Arbor less than a month ago, he seemed so happy and full of life. This is a real downer. :(

hang in there, Levon.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

headhunter

I saw Levon last at the newport folk festival a few years back.

a true legend, gentleman, and all around good-guy.  spinning lots of Band music these days and sending good thoughts out to Levon and his family.

Watch The Last Waltz again people.  The greatest rock n roll movie - EVER!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Hawkeye

So sad...I love Levon.  Wish I got to see him in person, but I'm just glad I was alive the same time he was.  Peace and Love Levon!
We could.

Shug

Quote from: headhunter on Apr 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
Watch The Last Waltz again people.  The greatest rock n roll movie - EVER!

Yep, time to bust it out again.  I watch it every year on Thanksgiving.  Ain't nothin' better than the Band and the Staples on The Weight one of the greatest musical performances of all time in my book, that's what'll be played at my funeral, if I have any say.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

headhunter

I was fortunate enough to catch Levon at the Newport Folk Festival a few years back.  He clearly shines a light on all he has played with.  He is so much more than just a drummer, singer and musician.   Thought I would share just a few photos I took at Newport.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

ALady

Incredibly sad.  He played a Ramble here just last month and one of my friends who worked the show said he was so lovely and kind.  Always nice to hear when someone you admire so much turns out to be a genuinely good person too.

Kind of glad we have some warning about this.  Thinking about all the good vibes flowing his way makes it a little easier, kind of beautiful in a way.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Paulie_Walnuts

Such sad news. Levon is my favourite drummer from my favourite band. I always felt he was the heartbeat of The Band. Listening to the music of The Band transports me back to a time and a place that just seems to resonate with me, even though I was just born.

I would have loved to have been able to see The Band in their pomp and glory years - what events they must have been! As it was me and my wife made the long trip to Woodstock in 2009 in order to go to a Midnight Ramble. Levon had suffered a minor setback and was unable to sing on the night we were there, but he was on the drums for the whole evening and it was an honour to be there. We were sat upstairs looking directly down with Levon and his drums facing us. As the evening finished we scooted down the steps out back and into the throng as he made his way back into his barn. I'm not usually in awe of artists, but for once we pushed our way in a little and shouted that we had come over from England to see him. Levon stopped and shook both our hands and we felt great about it!

He lead a fun, full-on life and he made some of the best music that has ever been made. What better legacy could there be?

The Band will be on rotation in my house and car from this point on.

Thinking of him and his family now.
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

Paulie W