Why do you love MMJ?

Started by hohomanofsteel, Apr 23, 2012, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hohomanofsteel

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this forum so I'd love to hear all your input to this pretty basic question. I joined because MMJ has officially become my favorite band as I've realized that they make music that speaks to me in a way that no other music ever has. To be honest, their music is slowly changing my life in the best way possible. Their music is is so honest in every facet, and Jim's voice is so pure. I would just love to hear all your reasons for loving MMJ, because I only know a few other MMJ superfans, and I've had this conversation with them many times. Thank you!

johnnYYac

Whaddaya know?  Same here.  You sound like me 4 years ago.  Now look at me!  Welcome to a great place for folks like us.   :D
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon

Eventually one way or another they have channeled ALL of my favorite bands at some point, usually doing it better than the original. And Jim's mother was a sparkly multi-colored unicorn.

MrWhippy

I love MMJ's records for reasons that have already been mentioned (Jim's voice, channeling much of my favorite music) but what has really sealed the deal for me is the live shows. 

Basically, MMJ has the rare power to blow me away like it's the first time seeing them every time I see them.  To me it is like they are still reaching their peak and constantly expanding what they can do as a live band. 

Part of this has to do with them having to play bigger places and having to make the music suitably huge to fill them.  Even though I first saw the band in clubs, I don't pine for those days at all, as I know that no matter what size place they play they will rock the hell out of it.  I actually think I enjoy it more now that it is on a bigger scale.

Some bands are amazing live, but there is an initial thrill of seeing them live that isn't quite matched for me on seeing them again.  MMJ shows completely blow my head off every single time, which is saying alot, given that my show count is up to about 20 now (since 2004). 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

YungYave

Definitely agree with the comments above, they became my favorite band in a hurry. There are only two musical acts that I will see every single time they play near me, no questions asked - My Morning Jacket and Pearl Jam. Best live shows out there.
his arms were thin, and off into the night they ran

lasvegas

mostly for patrick's hair.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Darkstarflashes

I love them for several reasons. 1. They seem to really enjoy making music and do it for the music's sake. 2. They really care about their fans and show it each time they play live. 3. After seeing them live, I knew they were "the real deal". 4. They are interesting and fun. Just look at all the little videos that lead up to the UNSTAGED show. 5. They are professionals that are respected by just about everyone who has come into contact with them in the music world. Look at all the tribute albums, collaborations, and side projects they have been involved with. 6. The Live Stuff Rules! 7. Their sense of community and activism. They donate their time and money to great causes and get their fans interested in those causes too. 8. As I am from Kentucky, I feel a special connection to this band. Besides old time country acts and stars of the past, we don't have a lot going on musically, at least nothing on the scale and magical quality that is My Morning Jacket. 9. Jim's voice 10. They move me emotionally every time I listen to them.

smhoffmann02

Quote from: hohomanofsteel on Apr 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
I've realized that they make music that speaks to me in a way that no other music ever has. To be honest, their music is slowly changing my life in the best way possible.

You've summed it up perfectly.  Welcome, hohomanofsteel!  Enjoy your journey...
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

Devil Ledbetter

They are an old school rock band, a folk band, a glam band, a metal band, a funk band and the world's greatest cover band all rolled into one. Plus, Jim James voice gives me chills.

You've come to the right place. Welcome!
We understand it's the '90s.

scosby2

i love it all...now going to a show has become a family reunion and no matter where you are, you are never alone. new people you will know what i am talking about soon enough. right now i am just happy that everyone else is happy. this place kicks ass. best band on the planet

Fully

Listening to this band fills me with joy. Jim's voice, the band's music, it all gels for me. And like scosby2 says, going to a show and seeing all of the people that you've met at other shows is a family reunion. I wouldn't want to see a show without them with me.

lucylew

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Sep 05, 2012, 06:13 PM
They are an old school rock band, a folk band, a glam band, a metal band, a funk band and the world's greatest cover band all rolled into one. Plus, Jim James voice gives me chills.

You've come to the right place. Welcome!

This pretty much nails it.

lpkell2145

I'm a newbie here (hey everybody!) and this is a tough topic to articulate in this little bit of space. I might have to add an attachment later or something...just kidding.

Love this band so much because of their range. They can play anything and Jim can sing anything. They have songs that rock your face off, songs that make you cry, and songs that make you dance.  Oh wait then there is the live show...I've never been to anything else like it. Makes me happy just thinking about it...      ;D
20 times I wish you'd understand...

weeniebeenie

Yep! I agree with what everyone has said.
They are so musically diverse and good at everything they attempt and are really cool to all their fans.
How loud can silence get?

ItBeats4Jew

obviously the music is paramount, but in addition to that, have they ever not given an honest day's effort on the job?  every time you see them live, they give their absolute all....every fucking time! 
what Madonna said really helped

tdb810

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
obviously the music is paramount, but in addition to that, have they ever not given an honest day's effort on the job?  every time you see them live, they give their absolute all....every fucking time!

Every fucking time! I always marvel at the energy that they all put forth during these shows.  It truly is extraordinary, seriously!

I love MMJ for so many reasons, and that love just seems to grow over the years - corny I know.   What first attracted me was obviously their sound.  I found it to be so unique and, when pressed, couldn't come up with any succinct way of  describing it.  I still can't, it's just something I feel down to my toes....indescribable! And then I went to a show -- and shit got REAL! Whoa!

The MAJOR bonus I have received from loving this band, is meeting so many  kindred spirits, from so many different walks of life.  I think that's why this old forum coming back has such great meaning for me.  I lurked on this board for quite awhile before joining, and was super shy and reserved about posting....this was before I joined facebook and let it ALL hang out..but anyway, I digress.  As a result of taking some chances on some of the people I corresponded with through this friendly little outlet, I have made some friends that I cherish so much, and who I feel will be in my life for years and years to come.  So happy to have this place back, and continuing to enjoy this musical journey!  :-* :-* :-*
.....Back at the Model Home

scosby2

Quote from: tdb810 on Sep 06, 2012, 01:58 PM
Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 06, 2012, 01:49 PM

Every fucking time! I always marvel at the energy that they all put forth during these shows.  It truly is extraordinary, seriously!

I love MMJ for so many reasons, and that love just seems to grow over the years - corny I know.   What first attracted me was obviously their sound.  I found it to be so unique and, when pressed, couldn't come up with any succinct way of  describing it.  I still can't, it's just something I feel down to my toes....indescribable! And then I went to a show -- and shit got REAL! Whoa!

The MAJOR bonus I have received from loving this band, is meeting so many  kindred spirits, from so many different walks of life.  I think that's why this old forum coming back has such great meaning for me.  I lurked on this board for quite awhile before joining, and was super shy and reserved about posting....this was before I joined facebook and let it ALL hang out..but anyway, I digress.  As a result of taking some chances on some of the people I corresponded with through this friendly little outlet, I have made some friends that I cherish so much, and who I feel will be in my life for years and years to come.  So happy to have this place back, and continuing to enjoy this musical journey!  :-* :-* :-*

if there wasn't mmj then i wouldn't have met bob...it would be a shame not to live my life without meeting bob

scosby2

and you are pretty cool yourself trish  8)

tdb810

Quote from: scosby2 on Sep 06, 2012, 02:04 PM
and you are pretty cool yourself trish  8)
awwwwww warm and fuzzies :)  and truth be told, bob joined and posted before me! i was a hold out!  'til we meet again, my friend!
.....Back at the Model Home

armando

Reason No. 146: When Jim says "HOW Y'ALL DOIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!!"
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.