The NFL Thread: 2012

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 25, 2012, 03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Neighbour

The Boys dug their own grave last week.  When turn the ball over 6 times, you're going to lose games.  While it was nice to see the team fight back, moral victories are for young, up-and-coming teams or losers.   The Boys since 1996 fall in the latter category.

capt. scotty

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2012, 10:32 PM
Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Oct 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
The Boys will be Boys. 

:undecided:

Only caught the 2nd half, but it was a very entertaining game.

I was literally hoping they gave Dez the catch just based on effort and big time play, and I always want the correct call.

Take away that first quarter and the Cowboys would have ran away from the G-men?!

That Dez no catch kind of just typifies Dez Bryant's career.  He is so close to being a great receiver in this league but he always just seems to have a finger out of bounds.  Whether it's spacing out and fumbling punt returns, running bad/lazy routes that result in Romo int's, etc, etc.  If he could ever get out of his own way, he could be very good...

While his numbers havent been huge this year, I do think Dez has somewhat turned a corner - even since the season started. I think his route running has improved since last year noticeably, but most importantly I think Romo finally trusts him. He was solid his first couple years, but it was weird to see Romo not lock on or target Dez like you would expect him too - even with guys like Austin and Witten. I shouldnt even say lock on because Romo would ignore him for quarters or halves at a time seemingly. I think thats changed this year and especially in the past month, and I think Dez has risen to the task based on what Ive seen. Now that Romo is consistently looking towards him, the mental lapses have appeared to decrease IMO. You cant blame the last game on Dez at all, if for any reason because many other players were more responsible.

No, he isnt quite performing like AJ Green this early in his career, but Id be excited for his future as long as he keeps his head on straight based on what Ive seen thus far.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Big win for my Steelers after overcoming some horrific officiating in the first half! Victor Cruz was briefly out of the game with bruised ribs on a play that was called helmet to helmet, that makes sense right? The running game has really got on track, Todd Haley doing a great job!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 04, 2012, 07:39 PM
Big win for my Steelers after overcoming some horrific officiating in the first half! Victor Cruz was briefly out of the game with bruised ribs on a play that was called helmet to helmet, that makes sense right? The running game has really got on track, Todd Haley doing a great job!

I thought the fake FG did ya'll in, but it didn't. Mike Wallace is not slow. Terrible officiating as I am sure they were told the Giants needed a win b/c of Sandy
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 04, 2012, 07:39 PM

I thought the fake FG did ya'll in, but it didn't. Mike Wallace is not slow. Terrible officiating as I am sure they were told the Giants needed a win b/c of Sandy

This is officially the first time Ive ever agreed with everything youve said  :bath:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

walterfredo

Holy shit, Kaepernick looked great last night!   :thumbsup:

BH

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 20, 2012, 12:43 PM

I didn't notice.   I was too busy watching the Smith Bros.  (Both from Mizzou by the way) wreak treamendous amounts of havoc in the backfield!   Aldon is a monster.

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,12548.msg202383.html#msg202383

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Taterbug

Quote from: BH on Nov 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 20, 2012, 12:43 PM

I didn't notice.   I was too busy watching the Smith Bros.  (Both from Mizzou by the way) wreak treamendous amounts of havoc in the backfield!   Aldon is a monster.

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,12548.msg202383.html#msg202383

Those guys are pretty damn good.  Although the Bears O-line makes everyone look good.  My Bears are in free fall.  I wanna up chuck.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

CHIMMJFAN

I will admit, as a lifelong 49ers fan living in Chicago, I had some worries going into the game yesterday. I was getting so much grief from friends out here about how the Bears were going to beat up on Kaepernick and how their defense was so much better than ours!

Nice to see us show up and basically just bully the Bears. I can't remember the Bears defensive players looking so dumbfounded this year as much as they did last night. All around great effort by the Niners. Great play by our linebacker, hell seeing Bowman run down on punt coverage and tackling Hester for a loss was a trip. And what can I say about Kaepernick, it's nice to have two quarterbacks this year!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Nov 20, 2012, 08:54 PM
I will admit, as a lifelong 49ers fan living in Chicago, I had some worries going into the game yesterday. I was getting so much grief from friends out here about how the Bears were going to beat up on Kaepernick and how their defense was so much better than ours!

Nice to see us show up and basically just bully the Bears. I can't remember the Bears defensive players looking so dumbfounded this year as much as they did last night. All around great effort by the Niners. Great play by our linebacker, hell seeing Bowman run down on punt coverage and tackling Hester for a loss was a trip. And what can I say about Kaepernick, it's nice to have two quarterbacks this year!

CHIMMJFAN

I was at the game on Monday night w/ great seats at the 50, but all the way at the top of the stadium.  It was obvious that the Bears game plan was to put 8-9 in the box and 1 deep safety and dare Kaepernick to throw.  When it was obvious that Kaepernick was up to the task, the Bears never adjusted and by the time they did, it was way too late.  Don't think anyone else will make that mistake again. 

By the way, it's quite a brewing story out here, but I think Smith deserves to stay the starter.  But I bet Vernon Davis disagrees with me. 
what Madonna said really helped

Ruckus

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Nov 21, 2012, 01:41 PM

CHIMMJFAN

I was at the game on Monday night w/ great seats at the 50, but all the way at the top of the stadium.  It was obvious that the Bears game plan was to put 8-9 in the box and 1 deep safety and dare Kaepernick to throw.  When it was obvious that Kaepernick was up to the task, the Bears never adjusted and by the time they did, it was way too late.  Don't think anyone else will make that mistake again. 

By the way, it's quite a brewing story out here, but I think Smith deserves to stay the starter.  But I bet Vernon Davis disagrees with me.
Pretty on point jew although you guys ran successfully as well when the Bears loaded the box and as you said, the Bears adjusted much too late.  Just like when the Ravens got trounced by the Texans, for Bears fans, don't read too much into it and move on.

As for Kaepernick, I don't see the big deal because he was getting a few snaps anyways.  He seems to have the total package except for that hitchy throwing motion that seems a little elongated.  Kinda reminds me of Kerry Collins' release.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 21, 2012, 03:04 PM

CHIMMJFAN

Pretty on point jew although you guys ran successfully as well when the Bears loaded the box and as you said, the Bears adjusted much too late.  Just like when the Ravens got trounced by the Texans, for Bears fans, don't read too much into it and move on.

As for Kaepernick, I don't see the big deal because he was getting a few snaps anyways.  He seems to have the total package except for that hitchy throwing motion that seems a little elongated.  Kinda reminds me of Kerry Collins' release.

Ruckus, the Niners and I are definitely not "you guys".  I'm a Giants fan (originally from North Jerz).  Couldn't pass up a free ticket  :thumbsup:
what Madonna said really helped

manonthemoon

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 21, 2012, 03:04 PM

CHIMMJFAN

Was never a huge Smith Fan, overrated comming out of Utah and hasn't been anything but a below average qb until last year when he was slightly above average.

Kaepernick has way more upside IMO, plus a better arm IIRC from his days at Nevada.  I always say play the best whoever that may be, just like Seattle after signing Flynn.
Alive or Just Breathing

CHIMMJFAN

CHIMMJFAN

Yeah I knew going into the game that Harbaugh and Greg Roman were going to pretty much run the same offense. Once Kaepernick had some early success with his passes, that only solidified the offensive gameplan. I agree it was too late for the Bears to adjust appropriately.
As for the Smith vs. Kaepernick debate, I'm fine either way. It looks as though Kaepernick will get the nod this weekend against the Saints. This gives him a road game against a team playing very well as of late. We can see what he does in this type of environment.
Not sure if Smith is fully healthy yet from that concussion. I think he is and the team knows he is such a "team" guy that they can bench him, with the possibility if Kapernick struggles that they put Smith back in.
Smith has been playing very well this year. The things that obviously are different is that he won't push the limit. He won't take a lot of shots down the field. I think (of course with only really one game to compare) Smith does not make his reads as fast as Kaepernick does.
Should be fun to see what happens this Sunday!
CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

johnnYYac

I didn't get a chance to watch the Pats v. Jets game from last night until this afternoon. Somehow, my Dad and I managed to avoid all press and score reports before firing up the DVR today.

What a 2nd quarter!  Two blow outs in two games 4 days apart, with Gronk out with a broken arm and Gostowski blowing another "easy" kick.  Our (3) losses have all been close.  I'm pretty happy with New England this year.  A balanced running game and great receiving corp.  Of course, special teams and defensive rookies stepping up didn't hurt.  The Pats definitely still know how to fuck up and lose, but they are great at capitalizing on others' mistakes, too. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jaimoe

CFL's Toronto Argos just won the 100th Grey Cup versus the Calgary Stampeders! And I see my NY Giants are kicking GB butt right now too! Great night all-round... other than my Raptors losing another heartbreaker in 2-OT.

Tracy 2112

The Saints have a do or die game against the Falcons Thursday. I thought the 49ers might beat us but didn't imagine it happening with 2 pick 6's.

And where has THAT Giants team been all year?

Tracy 2112

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
DISRESPECTFUL JETS FANS
I didn't think that was bad at all and rather tame for Jets fans.  In fact the lack of cursing was a clear indicator of them acting thankful on Thanksgiving.  I said much worse things to the TV I think.  They deserved it and then some.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

iLikeBeer

I'm so glad ESPN spent so much time shoving the Jets down our throats during the pre-season?!  What a freaking train wreck they are.

Here's something that made me laugh.  Yesterday, some Stiller fan wrote a letter to the ESPN Cleveland sports radio station crying about how she was mistreated during the Browns/Stillers game on Sunday.  Did I mention the game was IN Cleveland???  So sorry you weren't able to enjoy yourself like you typically have at Heinz Field North in years past and the Browns finally kicked your Stillers' asses!   :grin:

I know it wasn't really and ass kicking as the Browns needed 6 turnovers and a 3rd string qb and still only won by 6, but when you've lost 17 of the last 18 games to that damn team, you take a WIN any way you can get it!!!   :beer:

I will say this though, the Browns did take it to the Stillers physically like I haven't seen in a loooong time.  Yes the Stillers turned the ball over a ton, but many of those fumbles were because the Browns were forcing them...