My Morning Jacket: Interviewed By The Fans

Started by admin, Oct 01, 2010, 02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdb810

Bo Koster:   How does it make you feel when people wait around by the bus to get a chance to meet you, talk to you, and perhaps ask for signatures?  Does it seem weird and obsessive, or is it flattering?

(sorry, i need to take this one)

it's really only awkward when fans offer free therapy sessions right before their husbands go chasing the tourbuses down secluded alley ways  ;D

love that you get me :)

i will cherish that night forever. Bob was such a hero...he should be wearing YY's cape from now on...remember when Jess took Ben Sollee's cello case? ha ha....

Classic!  I still get a little irritated when I hear his voice....you know I am part sicilian after all - and don't take kindly to having doors closed in my face :)
But it all worked out for the GREATER good for sure....whew that was dreamy
.....Back at the Model Home

vespachick

QuoteWill I finally find out what Jim is saying at the end of Steam Engine?   (And do I really want to know?)

This was one of my questions, too!!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

vespachick

QuoteHere are mine:

JJ: How do you feel about Yim's Pickle going 3-1 in fantasy football this year? Also, knowing Ben Ruthlessburger is coming back to football, would you dare trade Mike Wallace? Me Neither. Not so much a question, but I hope you'll continue to grow out your beard as a sign of solidarity to get YP into the playoffs.

Bo: Is it true you love ultimate frisbee like me? How do you feel about cherry pickers, because that's really where my talent lies.(?) Also, back at Ohio State, my team (RED RUM) won the intramural championship. If you're ever looking to throw around before a gig, let me know.

Patrick: I enjoyed  you and the MRS' H1N1 Halloween costumes last year? How do you plan to top those socially aware yet equally as funny costumes this year?

Tommy: Do you sometimes sneak a peak at Jersey Shore while the infamous lp tweets about it? Are you saying that you never check the DVR, not once, I assumed it gets DVRd. Speaking of Halloween above, do you and lp wanna dress up as Sammi Sweetheart and Ronnie for Halloween?

Carl: During Bonnaroo 2008, it was raining so hard into your guitars, that I thought you might get electrocuted. Have you ever been electrocuted? If you have, did it influence your upcoming solo release?

I hope I win. I love this band.

Your questions def should be chosen, plus the one about Steam Engine.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

weeniebeenie

QuoteHere are mine:

JJ: How do you feel about Yim's Pickle going 3-1 in fantasy football this year? Also, knowing Ben Ruthlessburger is coming back to football, would you dare trade Mike Wallace? Me Neither. Not so much a question, but I hope you'll continue to grow out your beard as a sign of solidarity to get YP into the playoffs.

Bo: Is it true you love ultimate frisbee like me? How do you feel about cherry pickers, because that's really where my talent lies.(?) Also, back at Ohio State, my team (RED RUM) won the intramural championship. If you're ever looking to throw around before a gig, let me know.

Patrick: I enjoyed  you and the MRS' H1N1 Halloween costumes last year? How do you plan to top those socially aware yet equally as funny costumes this year?

Tommy: Do you sometimes sneak a peak at Jersey Shore while the infamous lp tweets about it? Are you saying that you never check the DVR, not once, I assumed it gets DVRd. Speaking of Halloween above, do you and lp wanna dress up as Sammi Sweetheart and Ronnie for Halloween?

Carl: During Bonnaroo 2008, it was raining so hard into your guitars, that I thought you might get electrocuted. Have you ever been electrocuted? If you have, did it influence your upcoming solo release?

I hope I win. I love this band.

Your questions def should be chosen, plus the one about Steam Engine.
Definitely. These are too good.
How loud can silence get?

mahg33ta

Why oh why did you write Masters Voice for Monsters of Folk?   Don't you realize that could have ended the new album and I'd get to hear it at every show for the next 10 years?  

mahg33ta

My Morning Jacket is known for some of the more innovative posters in the concert art world.   Who in the band is most into the poster scene?   How are the artists chosen?    Does any member of the band collect posters and is there a complete archive of the band's posters anywhere?

twofingers

Thanks for the awesome response guys! Everything is in and the results will be posted ASAP!
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

AlwxanderD10

QuoteThanks for the awesome response guys! Everything is in and the results will be posted ASAP!
Im excited :D i hope i get picked. :P

capt. scotty

Totally spaced on sending questions....story of my life
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

twofingers

QuoteTotally spaced on sending questions....story of my life

I was fully expecting questions from you!

Just got back from Carl's gig in Chicago. 1) Carl is the bomb and incredibly cool 2) Alady is the tops.

Honest Man

Quoteare people permitted / encouraged / willing to list their questions here too?

I'd be interested in seeing them.   I'm sure there are a lot more good questions than the 5 that will be chosen.
I'll bite.  Here are my submissions:

Yim Yames:  Jim, lots of folks are curious about your use of the Omnichord, both in the studio (most recently the MMJ cover of John Prine's All The Best) and on stage (Touch Me Part 2, Tonight I Want to Celebrate with You, etc.).  How and when did the Omnichord become part of your instrumental repertoire?  It appears you were using an OM-84 in Okonokos.  More recently, you seemed to be using a 200 series.  What model do you favor these days?  What effects are you typically applying?  Do you use Omnichords in the early stages of songwriting, as well?

Tom Blankenship:  Tom, you have been an integral part of this great band from the beginning.  What role do you feel you have played in the evolution of MMJ as a band, in terms of style and sound?  Have you had any aspirations to play a greater role in songwriting?

Patrick Hallahan:  Patrick, you have such a physically demanding role in the band.  How do you sustain such great drumming, not just through each performance, but over the years?  Also, does you hair play a part in how you perform?

Carl Broemel:  Carl, your solo efforts, especially the recent All Birds Say, showcase your songwriting and vocal talents, as well as your exceptional instrumental skills.  It is clearly different from most of the MMJ catalog.  Was this intentional or just a natural product of numerous influences and experiences?

Bo Koster:  Bo, the role of keyboardist is often somewhat anonymous, set back from the stage and out of the spotlight.  Still, thoughtful analysis of your role in MMJ reveals immense talent and contributions to many signature tracks.  Do you ever find yourself desperate to come front and center?  Also, do you have a favorite MMJ track that, you feel, showcases your skill and style better than any others?    

Great questions. I especially like Bo's.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Quoteare people permitted / encouraged / willing to list their questions here too?

I'd be interested in seeing them.   I'm sure there are a lot more good questions than the 5 that will be chosen.

Yim Yames:  Jim, lots of folks are curious about your use of the Omnichord, both in the studio (most recently the MMJ cover of John Prine's All The Best) and on stage (Touch Me Part 2, Tonight I Want to Celebrate with You, etc.).  How and when did the Omnichord become part of your instrumental repertoire?  It appears you were using an OM-84 in Okonokos.  More recently, you seemed to be using a 200 series.  What model do you favor these days?  What effects are you typically applying?  Do you use Omnichords in the early stages of songwriting, as well?

Tom Blankenship:  Tom, you have been an integral part of this great band from the beginning.  What role do you feel you have played in the evolution of MMJ as a band, in terms of style and sound?  Have you had any aspirations to play a greater role in songwriting?

Patrick Hallahan:  Patrick, you have such a physically demanding role in the band.  How do you sustain such great drumming, not just through each performance, but over the years?  Also, does you hair play a part in how you perform?

Carl Broemel:  Carl, your solo efforts, especially the recent All Birds Say, showcase your songwriting and vocal talents, as well as your exceptional instrumental skills.  It is clearly different from most of the MMJ catalog.  Was this intentional or just a natural product of numerous influences and experiences?

Bo Koster:  Bo, the role of keyboardist is often somewhat anonymous, set back from the stage and out of the spotlight.  Still, thoughtful analysis of your role in MMJ reveals immense talent and contributions to many signature tracks.  Do you ever find yourself desperate to come front and center?  Also, do you have a favorite MMJ track that, you feel, showcases your skill and style better than any others?    

Thanks!  I'm eager to know what questions get used.  Any word, Jason?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

twofingers

I can't say much until the interview is up and posted! Hopefully soon...

capt. scotty

I was just thinking about it and I hope to god one of you people asked to one of the fab 5 if they plan on releasing the the T5 shows on DVD or soundboard CDs

:-/
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pawpaw

I can't say much until the interview is up and posted! Hopefully soon...

:) Just curious to read this interview, and was wondering if you knew when we might get to...
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

el_chode

All I want to know is what it feels like to be on top (open-ended question)
I'm surrounded by assholes

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

AlwxanderD10

touchingmept2

The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

twofingers

They're coming guys! The boys were obviously pretty busy the last month or so (between rehearsal, late night shows, T5, Yum, Voodoo) and they're doing they're best to get them over. Fine group of fellows for doing it, can't wait to get the answers to you guys!