My Morning Jacket: Interviewed By The Fans

Started by admin, Oct 01, 2010, 02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

The Steam Engine Presents: The My Morning Jacket Interview Contest

Submit 5 questions, one to each band member and you might just get some answers,

details:

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2010/10/steam-engine-presents-my-morning-jacket.html

slimsloslider

this is a grand idea. nice work, twofingers. expect 5 questions from me on the short side

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Will I finally find out what Jim is saying at the end of Steam Engine?   (And do I really want to know?)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

twofingers

Thanks guys, the band and their management have been so incredibly kick ass with everything, big thanks goes to them.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

johnnYYac

Will I finally get to finish the conversation started backstage at Newport with Jim?  I was a bit starstruck to be shaking his hand and standing arm in arm for a photo, I didn't really say much to him.  Now's my chance to ask him some questions about his use of the Omnichord that we're all dying to know.  

That is why I am announcing my campaign.  Show your support for johnnYYac!  Make sure my question to Jim gets picked and brings us all closer to understanding the man and the mind behind so much wonderful music. The key is the 'chord.  Viva la Laser Harp!

photo by johnnYYac
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

woodnymph

Aye Chi-huahua!!!  :o :o :o Awesome shindig t.f!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  And Johnny you have my vote!

And the #37 mystery?........ no.. that has its own special magical shroud of mystique surrounding it (and I don't think that can be penetrated anywho!) That's sacred geometry or some other hoodoo, written on a scroll in the Celestine Prophecies, that is within and without of each of us already. *lights incense*
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

mahg33ta

are people permitted / encouraged / willing to list their questions here too?

I'd be interested in seeing them.   I'm sure there are a lot more good questions than the 5 that will be chosen.

johnnYYac

Quoteare people permitted / encouraged / willing to list their questions here too?

I'd be interested in seeing them.   I'm sure there are a lot more good questions than the 5 that will be chosen.
I'll bite.  Here are my submissions:

Yim Yames:  Jim, lots of folks are curious about your use of the Omnichord, both in the studio (most recently the MMJ cover of John Prine's All The Best) and on stage (Touch Me Part 2, Tonight I Want to Celebrate with You, etc.).  How and when did the Omnichord become part of your instrumental repertoire?  It appears you were using an OM-84 in Okonokos.  More recently, you seemed to be using a 200 series.  What model do you favor these days?  What effects are you typically applying?  Do you use Omnichords in the early stages of songwriting, as well?

Tom Blankenship:  Tom, you have been an integral part of this great band from the beginning.  What role do you feel you have played in the evolution of MMJ as a band, in terms of style and sound?  Have you had any aspirations to play a greater role in songwriting?

Patrick Hallahan:  Patrick, you have such a physically demanding role in the band.  How do you sustain such great drumming, not just through each performance, but over the years?  Also, does you hair play a part in how you perform?

Carl Broemel:  Carl, your solo efforts, especially the recent All Birds Say, showcase your songwriting and vocal talents, as well as your exceptional instrumental skills.  It is clearly different from most of the MMJ catalog.  Was this intentional or just a natural product of numerous influences and experiences?

Bo Koster:  Bo, the role of keyboardist is often somewhat anonymous, set back from the stage and out of the spotlight.  Still, thoughtful analysis of your role in MMJ reveals immense talent and contributions to many signature tracks.  Do you ever find yourself desperate to come front and center?  Also, do you have a favorite MMJ track that, you feel, showcases your skill and style better than any others?    
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mahg33ta

Thanks JY.   That's exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to read.    I hope each of those counts as ONE question  ;D

tdb810

Quoteare people permitted / encouraged / willing to list their questions here too?

I'll bite.  Here are my submissions:

Yim Yames:  Jim, lots of folks are curious about your use of the Omnichord, both in the studio (most recently the MMJ cover of John Prine's All The Best) and on stage (Touch Me Part 2, Tonight I Want to Celebrate with You, etc.).  How and when did the Omnichord become part of your instrumental repertoire?  It appears you were using an OM-84 in Okonokos.  More recently, you seemed to be using a 200 series.  What model do you favor these days?  What effects are you typically applying?  Do you use Omnichords in the early stages of songwriting, as well?

Tom Blankenship:  Tom, you have been an integral part of this great band from the beginning.  What role do you feel you have played in the evolution of MMJ as a band, in terms of style and sound?  Have you had any aspirations to play a greater role in songwriting?

Patrick Hallahan:  Patrick, you have such a physically demanding role in the band.  How do you sustain such great drumming, not just through each performance, but over the years?  Also, does you hair play a part in how you perform?

Carl Broemel:  Carl, your solo efforts, especially the recent All Birds Say, showcase your songwriting and vocal talents, as well as your exceptional instrumental skills.  It is clearly different from most of the MMJ catalog.  Was this intentional or just a natural product of numerous influences and experiences?

Bo Koster:  Bo, the role of keyboardist is often somewhat anonymous, set back from the stage and out of the spotlight.  Still, thoughtful analysis of your role in MMJ reveals immense talent and contributions to many signature tracks.  Do you ever find yourself desperate to come front and center?  Also, do you have a favorite MMJ track that, you feel, showcases your skill and style better than any others?    

Awesome questions JY...I sent mine in, though they are not even close to this caliber...and they do border on the personal side...i can't help it, i'm a therapist :)  i want all of the innermost thoughts :)  This is So neat!! Good luck!
.....Back at the Model Home

br00ke

QuotePatrick Hallahan:  Patrick, you have such a physically demanding role in the band.  How do you sustain such great drumming, not just through each performance, but over the years?  Also, does you hair play a part in how you perform?

that's my favorite haha .. well done & thanks for sharing !!!!

Penny Lane

Here are mine:

JJ: How do you feel about Yim's Pickle going 3-1 in fantasy football this year? Also, knowing Ben Ruthlessburger is coming back to football, would you dare trade Mike Wallace? Me Neither. Not so much a question, but I hope you'll continue to grow out your beard as a sign of solidarity to get YP into the playoffs.

Bo: Is it true you love ultimate frisbee like me? How do you feel about cherry pickers, because that's really where my talent lies.(?) Also, back at Ohio State, my team (RED RUM) won the intramural championship. If you're ever looking to throw around before a gig, let me know.

Patrick: I enjoyed  you and the MRS' H1N1 Halloween costumes last year? How do you plan to top those socially aware yet equally as funny costumes this year?

Tommy: Do you sometimes sneak a peak at Jersey Shore while the infamous lp tweets about it? Are you saying that you never check the DVR, not once, I assumed it gets DVRd. Speaking of Halloween above, do you and lp wanna dress up as Sammi Sweetheart and Ronnie for Halloween?

Carl: During Bonnaroo 2008, it was raining so hard into your guitars, that I thought you might get electrocuted. Have you ever been electrocuted? If you have, did it influence your upcoming solo release?

I hope I win. I love this band.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

twofingers

[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

tdb810

ok, ok, here are mine....not as funny as penny's and not as profound as JY -- but hey, ya never know.  Gotta be in it to win it :)

Yim Yames:    You truly seem to be a person who wishes to give back to society.  With all of the important causes you support, which seems most critical, and where do you feel you have had the biggest impact?

Tom Blankenship:    I totally enjoy following yours and ms park's updates on twitter.  How do you think current social networking sites and the interwebs have played a role in the success of your band? Also, do you ever read the posts on the Forum?  

Patrick Hallahan:  I heard from a lovely little bird that you make the best pulled pork bbq. What is your secret?  Have you, or would you ever consider entering a cook-off??

Carl Broemel:  Many new parents find that they become the most productive they have ever been in their career, after having a child.  How has becoming a parent affected your energy for writing, touring, performing thus far?

Bo Koster:   How does it make you feel when people wait around by the bus to get a chance to meet you, talk to you, and perhaps ask for signatures?  Does it seem weird and obsessive, or is it flattering?

Penny Lane

Bo Koster:   How does it make you feel when people wait around by the bus to get a chance to meet you, talk to you, and perhaps ask for signatures?  Does it seem weird and obsessive, or is it flattering?

(sorry, i need to take this one)

it's really only awkward when fans offer free therapy sessions right before their husbands go chasing the tourbuses down secluded alley ways  ;D

tdb810

it's really only awkward when fans offer free therapy sessions right before their husbands go chasing the tourbuses down secluded alley ways  ;D

love that you get me :)

Penny Lane

love that you get me :)

i will cherish that night forever. Bob was such a hero...he should be wearing YY's cape from now on...remember when Jess took Ben Sollee's cello case? ha ha....