The Pixies suck (not)

Started by Tracy 2112, Sep 10, 2012, 04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

bowl of soup

So does Mississippi football.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

OK, you're not a bot   :smiley:

great to have you here

(nOOOOb)

bowl of soup

I have an outstanding history to protect here.

Mr. White

The Pixies - Gouge Away (Live 1990)
http://youtu.be/8wHoD8azJ28
Audio and Video Synched Up From Two Different Sources.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

iLikeBeer

LeanneP

I lurve me some Pixies! 

I first saw them at the Concert Hall in Toronto in 1991 w/ Flat Duo Jets opening.

The label my husband works for puts out Charles' stuff in Canada for the last half dozen years or so.

I was really lucky to get to go to the invite only pre-show show they did before their reunion tour a couple years ago. It was in a small club and I got to stand directly in front of Charles. Every time Kim flubbed a bass line, she'd laugh at herself and Charles would seethe. It was pretty funny! 

THere's a video from the show but I don't know how to embed it. Can someone tell me how you are embedding the vids?
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Mr. White

Hello LeanneP!
The way I embed videos (from YouTube) may not be the fastest or the best, but it is much easier than it was on the now defunct old "new" forum. All you have to do is click on the share button under the video and the URL shows up highlighted in blue and white. Then you just right click on the URL, copy it, and return to the forum to post. To actually post, you just right click in the space you are typing your message and paste it. It works great. It is even much easier than posting a picture.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

ManNamedTruth

it's even easier than that, just copy and paste the url from your browser, that's it.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

LeanneP

Here is a video, not mine, from the secret show. The first bit is about going to the show. Then there are lots of short clips from each song. It's so strange to be watching it and be able to identify almost every single person in the audience. I even saw my husband at one point (he was an organizer). Anyway, I thought people would enjoy a taste of this incredibly tiny practice show.

Pixies "Secret Show" The Casbah, Hamilton, Ontario

ETA: BTW, thanks for the instructions. I was expecting it to be far harder than this!
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

bowl of soup

You are my new favorite forum person. Thanks for that.

ManNamedTruth

Doolittle or Surfer Rosa?

I have to give the edge to Doolittle. It's a more consistent listen all the way through, whereas Surfer Rosa has maybe a couple songs I don't care much for, like Tony's Theme. Surfer Rosa was the first album I bought by The Pixies, and I didn't make my next purchase (Doolittle) for about a year or more later. That amount of time let me really soak in Surfer Rosa. Sometimes I try to dive into a bands discography all at once, when sometimes it's better to fully digest one album at a time. Doolittle was the album that took me from casual fan to them being one of my favorite bands. I think it also made me like Surfer Rosa more in a way, too.
Loud quiet Loud is a must watch rock doc. BTW, my favorite out of their DVD's.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

bowl of soup

OK. So this is easy. Doolittle all day long. I love Surfer Rosa and I think you are super on point with your thought. I didn't love Surfer Rosa until Doolittle. It was like unleashed potential. But Doolittle changed music. Ask Radiohead what they think. I still hate Silver though. And Loud Quiet Loud is the best thing I have ever seen.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
Doolittle or Surfer Rosa?

Surfer Rosa has maybe a couple songs I don't care much for, like Tony's Theme.

Doolittle for me.

But a quick story on why I do love Tony's Theme > waiting tables and the kitchen loved the Pixies. The head grill guy had an exceptionally bad evening b/c we were really slammed. I was buying them all beers during the close down and they were getting pretty well lit and so the grill guy put Tony's Theme on repeat and it played over and over and got louder and louder to where after about 20 straight minutes of Tony's theme the grill guy's bad mood was lifting (may have been the beer) but it all got really surreal and then everyone was in on singing the lines (all mumbles and made up words) leading up to To-ny To-ny(even the black dishwasher who was in high school who thought all us white folks were nuts) and it transformed a rather dismal, low energy situation into a frenzied ecstasy. It's called Tony's theme...

there

Pixies - Tony's Theme (HQ)