Remnants... for Fully

Started by johnnYYac, Sep 18, 2012, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Thank you so much, John! It's so very sweet of you to put that up. As far as I know, that's the only video I can find of it. Now if we can just get everyone to beg on the Soundland request thread for them to play it in Nashville. They haven't played it, and my hopes are low that they will. But it doesn't keep me from hoping, so roll callers, I'd really appreciate a little help here.

subinai

zanjam

Well, if it can't be me, I certainly hope it can be you, sister.  I'll tweet for ya, you know I will.  But I don't have much faith in Spontaneous Curation anymore  :angry:
anything + reverb always = better

parkervb

All souls, all faiths
Always we are one
Don't you ever turn it off

rincon

And they never play this why?

johnnYYac

Quote from: rincon on Sep 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Remnants was requested via Spontaneous Curation for Forecastle.  The day after the MMJ set (late afternoon, when we all woke up), I was walking to Waterfront Park from the hotel with Ryan Pickett, MMJ's sound engineer, and asked him about it.  He said the song puts a hurt on Jim's voice more than most other songs, so they have avoided it.  I believe its only been played live a few times- T5 #5, Rockpalast, and one other show. 

johnnYYac

Quote from: subinai on Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
chicago 2008 - what a fucking set!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/my-morning-jacket/2008/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-5bd6fb38.html
F-in' A!  Good enough to post!

At Dawn
It Beats 4 U
Evil Urges
I'm Amazed
Gideon
What A Wonderful Man
Golden
I Will Sing You Songs
Lowdown
Sooner
Thank You Too!
Anytime
Remnants
Lay Low
Highly Suspicious
Off The Record
I Think I'm Going to Hell
Smokin From Shootin
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2
Run Thru
-----
Look At You
Nashville to Kentucky
Steam Engine
Cobra
Wordless Chorus
One Big Holiday

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
Remnants was requested via Spontaneous Curation for Forecastle.  The day after the MMJ set (late afternoon, when we all woke up), I was walking to Waterfront Park from the hotel with Ryan Pickett, MMJ's sound engineer, and asked him about it.  He said the song puts a hurt on Jim's voice more than most other songs, so they have avoided it.  I believe its only been played live a few times- T5 #5, Rockpalast, and one other show.
And I certainly don't want Jim's voice to be strained. But why can't they do like they've done on several other songs and rearrange it in some fashion so that it won't do that. Sing it in a different key or a little lower or whatever they need to do so that they can dust it off and play it sometimes. They've done that with Tonight, I Want to Celebrate, Phone, and They Ran. I'm sure they've done it with others that I can't think of off the top of my head. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this song deserves more exposure. I've accepted that I'm probably never going to hear a dissonant Tonight, I'm Going to Celebrate a la the Heartbreakin' Man EP, and I can accept that the only way I'm ever going to hear Remnants played live is if they change it somehow. Heck, it might make more people like it. I learned when I was requesting it for Forecastle that some people really don't ever want to hear it; however, I'm not the only person that wants to hear this song.

TheThird

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
Quote from: subinai on Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 AM
chicago 2008 - what a fucking set!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/my-morning-jacket/2008/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-5bd6fb38.html
F-in' A!  Good enough to post!

At Dawn
It Beats 4 U
Evil Urges
I'm Amazed
Gideon
What A Wonderful Man
Golden
I Will Sing You Songs
Lowdown
Sooner
Thank You Too!
Anytime
Remnants
Lay Low
Highly Suspicious
Off The Record
I Think I'm Going to Hell
Smokin From Shootin
Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2
Run Thru
-----
Look At You
Nashville to Kentucky
Steam Engine
Cobra
Wordless Chorus
One Big Holiday

Dang. Anybody happen to have a recording of this?
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

johnnYYac

Quote from: TheThird on Sep 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Dang. Anybody happen to have a recording of this?
Not that I can find.  :cry:

Fully

That would have been a great show to hear.

APR

I'm a big fan of Remnants as well.  I wonder if there is a particular part that causes the strain on Jim's voice.  Seems to me like a variety of other songs that are played would also be  pretty hard on the vocal chords.  At T5 Remnants rocked, and right after the song someone behind me said "Why don't they play that more often?"  I turned around and said that I was wondering the same thing. 

Fully

Well, I can officially give up my hope to hear Remnants in Nashville on October 6. That doesn't mean that it isn't still my goal to hear it live one day. APR, you are a lucky man to have heard it one of the three times they've played it.

rincon

Well, we got to hear Aluminum Park in LA, the other "hated" heavy metal song off of Evil Urges. :thumbsup:

APR

Quote from: rincon on Sep 21, 2012, 04:11 AM
Well, we got to hear Aluminum Park in LA, the other "hated" heavy metal song off of Evil Urges. :thumbsup:

Interesting.......  Aluminum Park is a song I skip every time.   But Remnants I turn up.

lpkell2145

There are only 2 songs that I really like and listen to repeatedly off of the EU album and one if them is Remnants. That song just energizes me for some reason. Good song to rock out to. And Jim's vocals are CRAAAZZZY!
20 times I wish you'd understand...

scosby2

it's gonna happen...i can feel it in my bones

Jeff Murray

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 20, 2012, 11:06 AM

There is one way around this... end the show with this song!  The crowd would definitely be walking out of an energy buzz if they did that!! 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??