Main Menu

The Maldives

Started by RedPatokaSea, Sep 21, 2012, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPatokaSea

A friend recently introduced me to this Seattle-based alt-country group. At times, they're quite reminiscent of Jason Molina, at others, early Neil Young. Check out their myspace for a decent sampling.

The Maldives - The Time Is Right Now

The Maldives - Go Back to Virginia

The Maldives - Walk Away

http://www.myspace.com/themaldives

Anybody heard of these guys? What do y'all think?

randywhe

Quote from: RedPatokaSea on Sep 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
A friend recently introduced me to this Seattle-based alt-country group. At times, they're quite reminiscent of Jason Molina, at others, early Neil Young. Check out their myspace for a decent sampling.

The Maldives - The Time Is Right Now

The Maldives - Go Back to Virginia

The Maldives - Walk Away

http://www.myspace.com/themaldives

Anybody heard of these guys? What do y'all think?

I like it!
Its funny, I used to hate country music. When people would ask what kind of music I like, I would say "everything but country" Once I started listening to MMJ then Black Keys, Band of Horses, even Kings of Leon. I now love all my music with a little twang to it. I still don't care for mainstream country, but I can appreciate it now. I'm now a sucker for slide guitar & these guys seem to use it shamelessly! I just discovered Trampled by Turtles today from this forum too. I have seen MMJ 3 times now & am going to see Wilco for 1st time at Hollywood bowl next week, then Black Keys for my 1st time at Honda center. Thanks for sharing the videos! adding Maldives & TBT to my rdio que now...

RedPatokaSea

Quote from: randywhe on Sep 21, 2012, 06:24 PM
Its funny, I used to hate country music. When people would ask what kind of music I like, I would say "everything but country"

Heh...me too.  :smiley:

Glad you enjoyed it!

Bob Loblaw

Just discovered these guys thanks to a tweet by Justin Townes Earle. Love it. I hear some jams that remind me a tad of MMJ in The Time is Right Now and Walk Away especially. 

ruralt

If you like them you might also like the Moondoggies (if you haven't heard them already). Their first two albums are pretty good. I don't know if there is an actual scene of alt-country acts in Washington but I always associated the two with one another.