Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day

Started by Shug, Oct 18, 2012, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Yep, Crispy, total redemption for the embarrassing travesty of Live Aid (and Atlantic 40th Anniv. wasn't much better, really).  They went out on top with this show, their slightly tarnished reputation now gleaming brightly.  The Kings of old now sit atop their thrones once more, yay!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Fully

Quote from: Shug on Oct 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yep, Crispy, total redemption for the embarrassing travesty of Live Aid (and Atlantic 40th Anniv. wasn't much better, really).  They went out on top with this show, their slightly tarnished reputation now gleaming brightly.  The Kings of old now sit atop their thrones once more, yay!

I totally agree with both of you. I like how inspired you are from all this, Shug!

Crispy

Jeez, I had forgotten all about how terrible the Live Aid performance was too, guess I had blocked that. I was just thinking of the Atlantic 40th anniversary thing, and how hyped I was about it. So envious of all those who've seen Celebration Day in a theater, and I am going to rock this DVD fucking LOUD when I get it!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

LD

My theory as to why they haven't toured is out of loyalty they have for JB.  Led Zeppelin is only Led Zeppelin with ALL of them together, so why promote something it's not.  RP, JP and JPJ  proved in the movie they can still perform, no doubt about their ability or talent for sure! And to have Jason playing where his dad would have been is such an amazing opportunity for Jason and a tribute to both of them. To see the joy Robert, Jimmy and John had on their faces watching Jason  kill it on Kashmir was pricelessl!!! This is the only band where I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be exposed to their music.  I only wish I could have seen them live.
It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

Shug

Quote from: Fully on Oct 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
Quote from: Shug on Oct 19, 2012, 12:39 PM

I totally agree with both of you. I like how inspired you are from all this, Shug!

Thanks, Fully! Its like that scene in the Chronicles of Narnia!!  (Just teasing myself there with all the medieval imagery I'm using to describe Zeppelin  :wink:  They really deserve better than I can describe.)

LD, good point.  Who has as much integrity as Zeppelin (we'll just try to forget about the teenage groupies or chalk it up to the way it was back then) when it comes to their insistence that its only truly Led Zeppelin if all four originals are there.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
I want to see this so badly, not just because I am also of the opinion that Led Zeppelin was the greatest rock band of all time, and by all accounts (and the poor recording I have), they gave a great performance that night in 2007 (it was that long ago?!). But also because of the almost twenty years' worth of the bad taste left in our collective mouths by that awful reunion performance in 1988. I was so excited for that, and it just made me sad.

yep, even though it was 1985. I knew it was going to be a suck ass set when the mic stand attacked Page here at the 2:13 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppxkcb9r52g#
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

johnnYYac

Jesus, so much of Live Aid was painful. 

Just preordered the CD w/Blu Ray, etc.  The vinyl (3 LP) looks sweet, but I can't justify having this AND the vinyl, and I want to see it as well as hear it. 

My wife's youngest aunt was murdered (stabbed by a boyfriend on her parents front lawn... yeah, I know) when she was in her early 20s.  Michele and I inherited all of her Zeppelin albums, original pressings.  I'm currently listening to Led Zep II pressed in 1969.  Here's to you, Andrea.  :beer:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

exist10z

Quote from: LD on Oct 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
My theory as to why they haven't toured is out of loyalty they have for JB.  Led Zeppelin is only Led Zeppelin with ALL of them together, so why promote something it's not.  RP, JP and JPJ  proved in the movie they can still perform, no doubt about their ability or talent for sure! And to have Jason playing where his dad would have been is such an amazing opportunity for Jason and a tribute to both of them. To see the joy Robert, Jimmy and John had on their faces watching Jason  kill it on Kashmir was pricelessl!!! This is the only band where I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be exposed to their music.  I only wish I could have seen them live.

This.

I have been listening to them much of the day now, so great, and fresh too, as I haven't really listened much the past few years (or longer).  Interesting the change from the earlier more blues based songs to the later more experimental-ish albums/tracks.  Love it all, all expertly crafted, no matter the variation in style.  Not to compare, Zeppelin is incomparable, but since this is a MMJ board, it does get me thinking about the reception of the newer albums and how that must have been for early Zep fans at the time.  Some amazing tracks from HOTH through ITTOD were really different from the first 4 albums, dare I say 'poppier/accessible' and in the moment maybe lacking for the original fans.  Of course in hindsight, and at 43 all my experience of Zeppelin was pretty much in hindsight, for me those albums are still Zeppelin and equally amazing, not at all a backseat to the first four at all.

And the awesomeness that IS Physical Graffiti, prompts me to think about a MMJ double album, and salivate at the possibilities.  I think a double album, which I guess we rarely see anymore, allows a band to go for not only ideas that are different, but expand on the length and intricacy of tracks if they want/need, as they naturally have more 'time'.

I could talk about Zeppelin and their significance, and their significance to me, all day.

Oh, and Yac, that's a fitting tribute.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Shug

Reminded me to look up the official statement Zepp made when Bonham died:

"We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were"

Total loyalty to John Bonham is right.

Fully

Now that time has passed, Percy has stayed that he isn't reunioning because he is too bizzay making new music and does not want to be part of a greatest hits tour. As well.

ericm

I definitely agree with your theory LD, and have always respected their decision to not make a money grab, and tour. Led Zeppelin was the four of them, and when John died, that was it. I'm sure this was a great evening ,and with Jason, the closest thing to the real thing that'll ever happen. 

I'm definitely a bit biased as I got to see the real deal at MSG in 77, but so glad they haven't ever pulled a Who, or Queen, and toured with a fill-in. If they ever do decide to tour, and have Jason with them, I think that would actually be pretty cool, and something I'd go see.  I'm sure that would be something John himself would be proud of, and I'm looking forward to buying this DVD.

"Where's Jim going?"

oistheone

Finally watched the BluRay the other night -- WOW! What a spectacle. The hyperkinetic editing threw me off a bit at first, but it gets a bit better as the film goes on, and the soundtrack MORE than makes up for it. I cranked this up through my system and GOOD LORD it sounds great!

I found JPJ's bass sound particularly tasty, especially when he's rockin' the pedals while he plays the keys. Call me crazy, but I'm a firm believer that there is no Zep without JPJ. It is criminal how underrated and undermentioned he is in Zep lore. The guy was a teen musical prodigy and was arranging sessions and writing charts for huge pop stars by the time he was 20, and to most he's "just the bass player" in Zeppelin. But ANYWAY, JPJ is incredibly locked in the entire time and I find it hard to take my eyes off his playing, though as with most Zep footage, you sure don't get much of a chance to watch him.

To be honest, I was expecting Plant to sound awful, and while he goes through some rough patches early on, I found he was pretty damn impressive overall. Jason's smiles during the "Stairway" solo made ME smile, and shows just how much fun they're having up there. Jimmy is Jimmy. His solo during "Trampled Under Foot" blew me away. When did he start using a Whammy pedal?! I doubt he started just for this show, he plays it like a master. Maybe THAT'S where Jack White got the idea!

Overall, I'd say this is a very worthy endeavor, one that has kickstarted a fullblown Zeppelin phase with me for the first time in years! I needed me some classic live Zep, but How the West Was Won alone wasn't cutting it, so I got my hands on some sweet DVD-ripping program and ripped all the audio off the classic 2003 Zep DVD. Now I've got myself another five hours of crystal clear perfectly-mastered live Zep! Needless to say, my ears are getting a serious workout.

johnnYYac

My blu ray player won't read the disc.  :undecided:  I hate returns.

bartel

it's a pretty much a magnificent DVD and soundtrack,. what a band they were. amazing speechless.

Shug

Yeah, we first watched it in the theater and only just watched it again this past weekend.  It was just as impressive as the first time.  And I echo oistheone's sentiments about JPJ and his foot pedals and keys at the same time as well as his masterful bass playing, fantastic!  His contributions to the band cannot be overvalued, he is essential to Zeppelin.

johnnY, I hope you got your new copy by now.

johnnYYac

Got the replacement pretty quick.  All systems go!  Awesome stuff!!!   :thumbsup:

davymac

I got this DVD/CD set for Christmas and man, zep still rocks!!  I thought Jason Bonam killed it too

Rizzos Girl

Drew got me the DVD for Christmas and I wept through the first 4 songs.  Literally overcome with emotion.  I did the same thing when Plant/Page did that Thank you tour several years back.  Wept through the show.  I really wanted to catch this in a theater this fall but now that I see what a wreck this makes me I'm glad I did it in the privacy of my home. 

I agree with all that was said in this thread about Led Zeppelin. I'm sorry I'm very late to the conversation. I go on binges of them often. Go for days looping albums over and over again and it never gets old.  I know I'm going to watch this DVD and listen to the CD often.  Did anyone catch their Kennedy Center induction.  I was a little offended by Kid Rock being one of the chosen performers.  I mean couldn't they do better?  Or am I just being a snob.  Jimmy Page seemed to enjoy every minute of it. 

Mr. White

Quote from: Rizzos Girl on Jan 03, 2013, 10:04 PM
Drew got me the DVD for Christmas and I wept through the first 4 songs.  Literally overcome with emotion.  I did the same thing when Plant/Page did that Thank you tour several years back.  Wept through the show.  I really wanted to catch this in a theater this fall but now that I see what a wreck this makes me I'm glad I did it in the privacy of my home. 

I agree with all that was said in this thread about Led Zeppelin. I'm sorry I'm very late to the conversation. I go on binges of them often. Go for days looping albums over and over again and it never gets old.  I know I'm going to watch this DVD and listen to the CD often. Did anyone catch their Kennedy Center induction.  I was a little offended by Kid Rock being one of the chosen performers.  I mean couldn't they do better?  Or am I just being a snob.  Jimmy Page seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

I have it on my DVR. It was great! Letterman was REALLY into it. He even had them on his show right after and couldn't seem to get enough. They were all still so cool!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011