The Music Is You: A Tribute to John Denver

Started by CC, Oct 22, 2012, 02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GO4IT

Just listened to Jim's version of Jet Plane 4 times.  Awesome.  Is there any tune Jim can't bring magic to?

Penny Lane

LOVE IT !! YES YES YES....10th listen here..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angelo

Quote from: GO4IT on Feb 26, 2013, 10:58 PM
Just listened to Jim's version of Jet Plane 4 times.  Awesome.  Is there any tune Jim can't bring magic to?

Not that I'm aware of. Certainly not this one, it's gorgeous.

Fully

It's so beautiful. I remember listening to the original. Jim's voice makes this song even more amazing.

dapguitar

Agreed. Awesome cover. It's not my intent to derail the topic from John Denver, but I wanted to share two other MMJ covers that are every bit as beautiful as the Leaving on a Jet Plane cover:

Hot Burrito #1 (Flying Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons)
yim yames- hot burrito #1 [gram parsons cover] my morning jacket

True Love Ways (Buddy Holly)
My Morning Jacket - True Love Ways

These guys know what they are doing...and they do it very well.

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

New FREE spring sampler from ATO records includes the full "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by My Morning Jacket, plus 9 other tracks!

http://t.opsp.in/c0o1S

1. Caitlin Rose - Only A Clown
2. Alabama Shakes - I Ain't the Same
3. My Morning Jacket - Leaving On a Jet Plane  (From John Denver Tribute Album)
4. Bobby Long - Devil Moon
5. The Bronx - Youth Wasted
6. Jim James - A New Life
7. Jonny Fritz - Ain't it Your Birthday
8. Vusi Mahlasela - Amdokwe
9.  Kopecky Family Band - Heartbeat
10. Allen Stone - Contact High

I found the download link a bit quirky.  My best result (flawless) was right clicking the link and choosing "Save target as" to my 'puter. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Angelo

rjlemons

Fully

I'm impressed by your web scouring, John.  Great find! :thumbsup:

johnnYYac

Quote from: Fully on Mar 08, 2013, 10:10 AM
I'm impressed by your web scouring, John.  Great find! :thumbsup:
I've got decent feelers, but also belong to a lot of email lists.  This was sent to me by ATO.

Anu

Many of you have already heard this whole album, but now NPR music is streaming it too. Really good stuff!

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/24/174863039/first-listen-the-music-is-you-a-tribute-to-john-denver

pattilovesmmj

John Denver was the first concert I went to when I was 13.  He played with the (one hit wonder band) The Starland vocal band - 'Afternoon Delight".  I saw him at the universal ampitheatre in Los Angeles.
I started guitar lessons about a year before the show, and I remember how much I wanted a 12 string guitar....only took me about 35 years, but I got it!
by the way, great version of Leaving on a jet plane guys............ :cool:

jcoyote

I'm not comparing the two versions, and it is not a contest, so please, no wagering, but Drivin' N' Cryin' also do a very good version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane."  It should be heard. 

Crispy

Quote from: jcoyote on Apr 02, 2013, 05:06 PM
I'm not comparing the two versions, and it is not a contest, so please, no wagering, but Drivin' N' Cryin' also do a very good version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane."  It should be heard.

Also no comparison, but Sea of Bees did a beautiful version this song too, titled only "Leaving."
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jackets N Pones

The NPR stream had me digging around and I came across this John Denver song. So uplifting that I had to share it. Thank you MMJ for re-introducing all of these music icons to me. John Prine, John Denver, Buddy Holly, George Harrison, etc. were really just familiar faces and names to me until these tributes opened up a new world of timeless music. One of the many reasons why I am so thankful for MMJ. Also, if anyone knows the chords to the song below please let me know. I could not find them anywhere online. Thanks!

John Denver Love Is Everywhere 1977 Aus
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

johnnYYac

I've been holding out on listening to this until the vinyl arrives... today!  Can't wait to give it a spin!