Main Menu

Chills

Started by whitepepper, Oct 04, 2005, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Coming up: potential to be a stupid question:

Are cds universal?  ie, can you play an American cd in Russia or, say, Botswana?
(my comparison here is PAL vs NTSC stuff)

CC

yes they are and yes you can, double space D

tomEisenbraun

is that how they're done?  D
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

oh wow. so weird.

EC

Quoteyes they are and yes you can, double space D
You can call me that if you want.  I might change my name again.  D
-doublespaceD

tomEisenbraun

haha, good lord

EC

Quotehaha, good lord
It's my new plan.  It's kind of like wearing a costume. :)

I will still respond to EC, though.

tomEisenbraun

haha, just make sure you keep the picture. Don't totally confuse, alright?

8)

Stevie

(wanted to revive an old thread instead of start a new one, always good to read "ancient" comments from that point in time)

I didn't even know this song existed until i bought Z on vinyl.  The first time i heard it was in early spring of last year, and I had some very positive things going on in my life so this song really hit home..   

I listed to it again last night, probably too loud for 11pm with the police station across the street in a small residential neighborhood, but it hit me even harder this time.  I truly love this song. 

Aside from the way it makes me feel, it also represents a bridging of two worlds.. My Morning Jacket's old sound, and then their new sound.  It's like they plucked the classic reverb heavy Jim from At Dawn and surrounded him with the more upbeat, tripped out sounds of Z and decided to take over the world...or at least your brain.  It's powerful!!  It's the earth tones of the past colliding with the electric purple of the future, morphing into a space ship and soaring through your mind at warped-speed..your nails digging into your seat but you're smiling the whole time. 

To me... this is the perfect song.  It has almost everything that you could love about this band.. and like someone mentioned early in this thread, or maybe it was another Chills thread, there's an element of humor to it....so as seriously great as this song is...there's an inside joke here and let's all just get on board. 

I'm aware of the demos version, and I haven't listened to it a whole lot but from what I remember it's also very good.  However, this reworked version is so multidimensional that is has created new dimensions.

Now....if we could just get it live... going off of setlist.fm (which is not comprehensive), they have played it three times.  Once in 2002 which would logically be more like the demo version, and twice in 2010 (Portland, and then a few days later at T5).  I refuse to watch or listen to anything from T5 until a vinyl or DVD set comes out, and I wasn't there, so i'm not sure how that went down..