Main Menu

I like The Eagles

Started by Tracy 2112, Nov 28, 2012, 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

There, I said it. No matter how cool it's become to hate The Eagles (thanks to The Dude), I like 'em.

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Taterbug

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
There, I said it. No matter how cool it's become to hate The Eagles (thanks to The Dude), I like 'em.

It's OK to like'em.  Would you like a hug ?
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Taterbug on Nov 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 28, 2012, 11:59 AM

It's OK to like'em.  Would you like a hug ?

yes, I would like a hug.

In the meantime, how 'bout some Eagles!

Eagles - In The City
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

No matter how cool it gets to hate them, I'll be right there hating them with the crowd. It's my dads favorite band, which left a me rebelling against that and his other favorite artist - Jimmy Buffet. Also, it's just too easy listening. Tequila Sunrise is the worst. The dude didn't help.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Hotel California always scared me as a child - since we're confessing things.

Taterbug

Quote from: Fully on Nov 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hotel California always scared me as a child - since we're confessing things.
.   Yea but so did the Oompa Loompas and the flying monkeys from the lizard of oz ( how my daughter pronounced when she was little ).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Shug

I like the Eagles, too, in spite of the douchery and lowdown treatment that Henley and Frey dished out to the rest of the band, because  they were one of the original country rock bands (along with The Byrds and Burrito Brothers).  Randy Meisner may be the unsung hero of the band.  If he never wrote another song besides Take It To The Limit, he'd still be a country-rock songwriting genius in my book.

I never give a rats' ass about what is cool or popular or hip.  I like what I like.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

bluesky

first memory of The Eagles ~ my brother Bob's cottage on Bear Lake, Labor Day weekend, his canoe with the ZigZag dude on it, moldy dishes in the sink, a bong and Hotel California

edit:  i might have been 9 or something...had never seen a bong before this. it just sat out in the living room without a mention

Fully

I don't hate The Eagles. Desperado, Take It To The Limit, and Peaceful, Easy Feelin' are all great songs. But I can't say I listen to them too much these days.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: bluesky on Nov 28, 2012, 01:50 PM
first memory of The Eagles ~ my brother Bob's cottage on Bear Lake, Labor Day weekend, his canoe with the ZigZag dude on it, moldy dishes in the sink, a bong and Hotel Califorinia

Sounds like good times to me!   :cool:

ManNamedTruth

Despite my love for all things Dude, I happen to like a few Eagles songs. Just listen to the guitar chemistry they have on I'm Already Gone at the 2 minute mark.

Eagles - I'm Already Gone
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Crispy

I love The Dude, but I could never reconcile that Eagles hatred. I probably would have kicked him out of my cab too.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jon T.

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
Despite my love for all things Dude, I happen to like a few Eagles songs. Just listen to the guitar chemistry they have on I'm Already Gone at the 2 minute mark.

Anyone else hear the similarity to this?

http://youtu.be/VlcOs3fCN3M

Some of my earliest memories of listening to music are of the Eagles in my parents' Buick. 

mahg33ta

There are some songs I've just... heard enough times .... if that makes sense.   Others, including lots of classic rock, I'll never get tired of listening to.   But most Eagles songs, I can't see ever voluntarily choosing to listen too.   Don't hate em, just done w/ them.

Crispy

Quote from: mahg33ta on Nov 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
There are some songs I've just... heard enough times .... if that makes sense.   Others, including lots of classic rock, I'll never get tired of listening to.   But most Eagles songs, I can't see ever voluntarily choosing to listen too.   Don't hate em, just done w/ them.
Absolutely true, and that's the case for me with most classic rock, and even with bands that I totally love, but I will still listen to entire records. Like when I would hear Pink Floyd on the radio, or the Grateful Dead, which would be Sugar Magnolia or Truckin' or Casey Jones, and I just can't stand it. Maybe that's what The Dude was dealing with.  :wink:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

Quote from: Jon T. on Nov 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Nov 28, 2012, 02:49 PM

Anyone else hear the similarity to this?

http://youtu.be/VlcOs3fCN3M

Some of my earliest memories of listening to music are of the Eagles in my parents' Buick.

Cooley is way more biting and funny...

ps-i like the eagles but kinda like Kyle said--too inside my head to ever hear again.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Shug

Quote from: Crispy on Nov 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Absolutely true, and that's the case for me with most classic rock, and even with bands that I totally love, but I will still listen to entire records. Like when I would hear Pink Floyd on the radio, or the Grateful Dead, which would be Sugar Magnolia or Truckin' or Casey Jones, and I just can't stand it. Maybe that's what The Dude was dealing with.  :wink:

And for me, that's a good reason to not listen to radio.  It ruins good music by overplaying it.  Its sad to me that people don't like music, not because it isn't good, but because they heard it too much and it became trivialized.  I learned a lot about music from radio when I was a kid and I'm grateful for that, but as soon as I could start buying my own records, I left radio behind for the most part.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Fully

Quote from: Shug on Nov 28, 2012, 03:28 PM

And for me, that's a good reason to not listen to radio.  It ruins good music by overplaying it.  Its sad to me that people don't like music, not because it isn't good, but because they heard it too much and it became trivialized.  I learned a lot about music from radio when I was a kid and I'm grateful for that, but as soon as I could start buying my own records, I left radio behind for the most part.

Not to mention that it's been decades since radio actually played anything really good.

mahg33ta

Quote from: Fully on Nov 28, 2012, 03:43 PM

Not to mention that it's been decades since radio actually played anything really good.

the best thing that happened to me musically over the past five years is getting a car that can play my ipod.   My enjoyment of music, especially new music discovery, has sparked like it hasn't since I was a kid.    When I listen to radio, I can't believe how it's the same old stuff over and over.    People don't watch the same movie 100 times (usually), why do they want to beat the same old songs into their heads for 20 years.   There's so much good music made each year.

Fully

Quote from: mahg33ta on Nov 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Quote from: Fully on Nov 28, 2012, 03:43 PM

the best thing that happened to me musically over the past five years is getting a car that can play my ipod.   My enjoyment of music, especially new music discovery, has sparked like it hasn't since I was a kid.    When I listen to radio, I can't believe how it's the same old stuff over and over.    People don't watch the same movie 100 times (usually), why do they want to beat the same old songs into their heads for 20 years.   There's so much good music made each year.
Exactly! While I know people lament the demise of vinyl, I have to say that getting an ipod helped me to listen and enjoy music in a way I hadn't in years. My ride to and from work is so much better because of it. I get ill if someone rides with me because it's interrupting my listening time. Spotify has also helped me discover new music that I would probably never have listened to before - particularly the sharing option or when I see someone whose musical taste I respect is listening to something I haven't heard, I'll give it a chance.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tracy. Let's get back to discussing our favorite Eagles' songs. Desparado is perhaps one of three songs that in my mind I can actually sing. (completely tonedeaf when it comes to singing, I am)