I like Jimmy Buffet

Started by e_wind, Nov 28, 2012, 01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

There, I said it. No matter how cool it's become to hate Jimmy Buffet (thanks to Jimmy Buffet, moms, and South Park), I like him.

I don't really. He's the worst.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
There, I said it. No matter how cool it's become to hate Jimmy Buffet (thanks to Jimmy Buffet, moms, and South Park), I like him.

I don't really. He's the worst.

I had some good times at his shows back in the 80's. He's not as bad as Daniel Higgs. Daniel Higgs is the worst. (I saw Daniel Higgs last night)

Tracy 2112

My favorite Jimmy Buffet songs:

Railroad Lady
Grapefruit- Juicy Fruit
Death of An Unpopular Poet
A Pirate Looks at 40
Migration
Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Nautical Wheelers
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
Son of a Son of a Sailor
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

Railroad Lady is an awesome Jerry Jeff Walker song (just starting to really get into old country..) that whole album is great (A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean)..he's written some great tunes..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Crispy

As with Tracy's examples, I like the following Buffett songs:

Grapefruit - Juicy Fruit (just want to emphasize this one)
Death of An Unpopular Poet (this one too)
Wonder Why We Ever Go Home
God's Own Drunk (the You Had to Be There version)
Why Don't We Get Drunk
Livingston's Gone to Texas
Peanut Butter Conspiracy

However, I got my fill of Buffett after hearing "Songs You Know By Heart" literally every goddamn day that I worked for a Parrothead on a paint crew in college.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jon T.

Add "Tin Cup Chalice" to these lists.

Gimme oysters and beer for dinner every night of the year...

iLikeBeer

LBSUNFLWR

e_wind

Here's my major problem with Jimmy Buffet, which to explain I will use Jon T's statement. His whole career is based on bullshit. He this guy who can write catchy music, and who obviously loves the lifestyle that retires from Louisville love - moving to some shitty touristy beach town, drinking shitty alcohol, and being beach bums. Like Jon T. said, "Gimme oysters and beer for dinner every night of the year..." A majority of his fans are drawn to that music because of the lyrics that send this message. The problem: less than 0.01% of people on Earth can relate to this.

How can anyone like something that is so totally un-relatable? To me, it's like dwelling on something that you can never and will never have. It's totally bizzarre. Sure, there is plenty of music that is totally popular that is un-relatable for almost anyone. Most pop songs about the lavish lifestyle, for example. But, people who consider themselves music enthusiasts don't generally like this pop music, so why is that Jimmy Buffet is so fucking popular? Am I insane for thinking music has to be in some way relatable to enjoy? What, exactly, is a cheeseburger in paradise? At what point does one write a song about being on a diet, but cheating on his diet because he dreams of cheeseburgers? I mean, have you all HEARD those lyrics? Is it some cosmic joke which I don't understand?

I know that you all are listing songs that aren't on Songs You Know By Heart, but still, it doesn't change the artist or the way he wants to be perceived.

LBSUNFLWR

No one should have a song with lyrics containing the words lettuce and tomato.

Jon T.

He has a hotel here and his sister owns a restaurant/bar in Orange Beach (LuLu's) so he is seen around here quite a bit.  He's known to be a complete asshole, but a genius businessman. Maybe explaing why he writes the songs he writes.  I've heard that he requires water buckets to be around his concerts at all times because he hates the sand on his fee/toes, yet he's always barefoot to support his image.

Weird fact: my wife just texted me from New Orleans to tell me that he is going to be playing a concert here soon. 

Crispy

I hear what you're saying, E, and agree with you and certainly didn't or wouldn't buy into his bullshit Caribbean sailor beach bum image, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy some of his songs, as I noted. Most of the tunes Tracy and I listed are not about cheeseburgers and sand, if you listen to their lyrics. Much of his early stuff is good, before he sold out for the parrothead crap. I certainly wouldn't go to one of his shows now if you paid me.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

smhoffmann02

Don't love him.  And, sometimes, he actually annoys me.  All that being said, I do like him.

Clear as mud?
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

e_wind

Just have to throw this out there:

Not his fault, but it CERTAINLY doesn't help that I woke up one morning before Jazz Fest '12  with a text from my dad that says, "Vedder dropped out, Jimmy Buffet took his spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

There was more emotion in that text than I've seen my dad express ever.

Fully

I think the Partothead appeal stems from people who are stuck in their routine, sometimes dull, lives who dream about that two weeks a year they can spend at the beach. For many, it's about escapism. I'm not defending it, just trying to explain it.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 28, 2012, 04:12 PM
Here's my major problem with Jimmy Buffet, which to explain I will use Jon T's statement. His whole career is based on bullshit. He this guy who can write catchy music, and who obviously loves the lifestyle that retires from Louisville love - moving to some shitty touristy beach town, drinking shitty alcohol, and being beach bums. Like Jon T. said, "Gimme oysters and beer for dinner every night of the year..." A majority of his fans are drawn to that music because of the lyrics that send this message. The problem: less than 0.01% of people on Earth can relate to this.

How can anyone like something that is so totally un-relatable? To me, it's like dwelling on something that you can never and will never have. It's totally bizzarre. Sure, there is plenty of music that is totally popular that is un-relatable for almost anyone. Most pop songs about the lavish lifestyle, for example. But, people who consider themselves music enthusiasts don't generally like this pop music, so why is that Jimmy Buffet is so fucking popular? Am I insane for thinking music has to be in some way relatable to enjoy? What, exactly, is a cheeseburger in paradise? At what point does one write a song about being on a diet, but cheating on his diet because he dreams of cheeseburgers? I mean, have you all HEARD those lyrics? Is it some cosmic joke which I don't understand?

That's funny, Dan Berman (a musical enthusiast indeed!) said just about the exact same thing about Jim James' lyrics...

Now, you can post a 30 paragraph diatribe espousing the dance of musical and lyrical genius that is My Morning Jacket, or, you can just accept the fact that different music suits different people and it's a total waste of your time and energy to convince anyone that you're right and the music they like is crap.

A Pirate Looks At 40

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 28, 2012, 05:29 PM

Now, you can post a 30 paragraph diatribe espousing the dance of musical and lyrical genius that is My Morning Jacket, or, you can just accept the fact that different music suits different people and it's a total waste of your time and energy to convince anyone that you're right and the music they like is crap.

Cop out. You could say that about literally every debate that has ever happened, but "accepting it" be neither fun, nor beneficial.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 28, 2012, 05:52 PM

Cop out. You could say that about literally every debate that has ever happened, but "accepting it" be neither fun, nor beneficial.

You understand that you are fishing for an argument about the merits of Jimmy Buffet's music, right?

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 28, 2012, 06:40 PM

You understand that you are fishing for an argument about the merits of Jimmy Buffet's music, right?

I understand that perfectly. Debate for entertainments purpose.  I think things are getting too serious though, so maybe we should change directions.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 28, 2012, 07:46 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 28, 2012, 06:40 PM

I understand that perfectly. Debate for entertainments purpose.  I think things are getting too serious though, so maybe we should change directions.

Can a debate about Jimmy Buffet turn serious?    :grin: