What's your 'Sgt. Pepper's'?

Started by e_wind, Nov 30, 2012, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

So, Sgt. Peppers is usually regarded as the best album of rock and roll history. What record do you think is the number one most necessary album under the 'rock' umbrella (so this can include punk, hip hop, metal, pop....)? It doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite album ever, but rather the album that you consider "most important". And, if you agree that it's Sgt. Peppers, then why?

I'll start...
The Wall.
I really believe that this is the best album of all time.
It's not my favorite by any means, and even included my 2 least favorite Floyd songs.
From the opening, when Rogers "sets the stage", to Mother, which ends in the most spine tingling moment in RnR, in my opinion (mother, did it have to be so high?)... This record is just non-stop. This, as well as DSOTM and The Final Cut will sound like they were made in the future still in 50 years.

I know I've been hounded for saying this before on here, but I think Waters mastered the idea of a concept album with this one, and no one else has been able to create anything like it.

While I understand why the Beatles are remembered the way they are, I definitely think Floyd (and maybe a couple others) is truly a better band.

I will say, the Wall tour with all it's gimmicks and showmanship did kinda fuck that album up for me for some months.

Just a question for some musical conversation....
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

If I were going to choose a Floyd album, I choose Dark Side of the Moon. I get annoyed at Waters ego on The Wall.

I'll have to think on this one for awhile though. Good topic idea, ewind!  :thumbsup: :beer:

Shug

If I were a smartass (and I'm not, most of the time  :grin:) I'd say Sgt. Pepper's is my Sgt. Peppers.

Smartassery aside, I think Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the truly most perfect, utterly flawless rock albums of all time.  To me, it has no weak moment and nothing could make it any better than it is.  I can't really say that about any Beatles or Stones record, as much as I love them.  I agree with Fully about The Wall, I'm just not that into it because its too much Waters/not enough Gilmour for my tastes.  Dark Side is way more balanced between them (and between Mason and Wright, for that matter)

Others I'd consider would be:

Led Zepp IV
Who's Next

Van Morrison Moondance (nah, its not perfect, but damn close)
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

I always feel self conscience when I don't wear a belt...maybe I shouldn't!

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

iLikeBeer

Since the Grateful Dead have such a stronghold on my musical tastes, for me, my Sgt. Pepper's would have to be American Beauty.  This is pretty much the album that got me started on my long strange trip of following the Dead. 

EverythingChanges

Great topic.

I agree with everything e_wind said about Pink Floyd.  The Wall is perfect, but Animals is my personal favorite.  However, Dark Side of the Moon is definitely more "Sgt. Peppers" than Sgt. Peppers.  Dark Side of the Moon is flawless throughout, and as a whole, it is the best concept album to date imo.  Imo, the low point of Dark Side is Money, it is too up beat for the tone of the album.  Us and Them...amazing.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Crispy

I agree with Shug, Sgt. Pepper's is my Sgt. Pepper's.

I'm with you on The Wall, but DSotM was Pink Floyd's most important and "necessary" record. Here is my choice in terms of influence, which I believe had the greatest lasting impact on "ROCK," in all its incarnations after 1970:

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EverythingChanges

Although Black Sabbath blew the door down for metal, I feel like Metallica's Kill Em All is one of the most important albums for that genre.  They took the heaviness of Sabbath, and the British metal bands (Priest and Maiden) and took it to a whole new level.  Everyone of their songs were these towering monsters.  The Four Horsemen was groundbreaking.  However, Puppets is definitely their best album.  Orion and Disposable Heroes make my head spin  :cheesy:.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Crispy

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Although Black Sabbath blew the door down for metal, I feel like Metallica's Kill Em All is one of the most important albums for that genre.  They took the heaviness of Sabbath, and the British metal bands (Priest and Maiden) and took it to a whole new level.  Everyone of their songs were these towering monsters.  The Four Horsemen was groundbreaking.  However, Puppets is definitely their best album.  Orion and Disposable Heroes make my head spin  :cheesy: .

I hear you about Kill Em All and its effect on metal, but I believe Paranoid was not just a metal record...its influence was marked throughout the idea of rock music. Back then (again, 1970!), nobody knew what "heavy metal" was, it was being invented and evolved from the stuff these and other guys were making. I hear all sorts of things in that record that bring to mind lots more musical styles than just what later became known as metal, and I think lots of rock musicians in the early 70s and beyond did too.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sweatboard

I Fully agree with E about The Wall.  but.....

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I tried to find a picture of Geddy Lee with some girls to post here, but it was impossible. 

Crispy

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
I tried to find a picture of Geddy Lee with some girls to post here, but it was impossible.

sweatboard

because we're both high as fuck!!

sweatboard

uh, that made much more sense like 2min ago. 

Crispy

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 01, 2012, 12:33 AM
because we're both high as fuck!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 01, 2012, 12:35 AM
uh, that made much more sense like 2min ago. 
I was just about to say this would make more sense if I hadn't deleted my earlier post.  :grin:

sweatboard

this thread officially Rules!!!

Fully

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 01, 2012, 12:13 AM
I Fully agree with E about The Wall.  but.....

This statement confuses me.

sweatboard

ManNamedTruth

I think this gives the best Beatles albums a run for their money. It's just so perfect the whole way through.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!