is there any current band capable of making a concept record

Started by sweatboard, Dec 18, 2012, 03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I would venture to say that the answer is NO....unless Wax Fang decides to.
There's Still Time.........

Fully

Well DBT has proven themselves way more than capable of it.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 18, 2012, 03:30 AM

Rush's last album is a concept album:

Clockwork Angels is a return to the concept album by the band that perfected it on 2112 in 1976. It centers on a loose narrative about a young man following his dreams. He struggles with inner and outer forces of order and chaos; he encounters an expansive world where colors, images, territories, and characters are embodied by pirates, strange carnivals, rabble-rousing anarchists, and lost cities. His enemy is the Watchmaker, a ruthless authoritarian presence who attempts to rule the universe and all aspects of everyday life with fascistic precision. Neil Peart's lyrics embrace notions of alchemy and steampunk sci-fi in his thematics. (The album is due to be novelized by Peart and sci-fi author Kevin J. Anderson.)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sweatboard

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 18, 2012, 03:49 AM

Clockwork Angels is a return to the concept album by the band that perfected it on 2112 in 1976. It centers on a loose narrative about a young man following his dreams. He struggles with inner and outer forces of order and chaos; he encounters an expansive world where colors, images, territories, and characters are embodied by pirates, strange carnivals, rabble-rousing anarchists, and lost cities. His enemy is the Watchmaker, a ruthless authoritarian presence who attempts to rule the universe and all aspects of everyday life with fascistic precision. Neil Peart's lyrics embrace notions of alchemy and steampunk sci-fi in his thematics. (The album is due to be novelized by Peart and sci-fi author Kevin J. Anderson.)

It's possible I'm a closet RUSH fan.  :embarrassed:

sweatboard

I really love Southern Rock Opera but there is no way in Hell I'd put it on par with The Wall or Tommy. 

sweatboard

Southern Rock Opera might actually might be the most legit attempt in a long while but Pete and Roger might be the end all be all. 

Fully

I am more interested in the subject matter of Southern Rock Opera than I am in Tommy. While The Wall is fantastic as a concept album, I don't really like to listen to it. Sure there are several songs on it that I like, but most of it I don't really care for. So many better Floyd albums out there. I know too little of Rush to discuss it. I'll take Tracy's word that it's a great concept album.

Jaimoe

Is a rock opera even a concept album? Tommy isn't even The Who's best opera.

As for concept records, The Who Sell Out more than fits the bill.

I'm not sure newer bands want to even tackle a concept album and it's especially tough to pull it off in this digital download age. Singles/songs, often disconnected and random, are phasing out LPs.

exist10z

Well, since you said 'capable', then the obvious answer is - yes.  But are you actually asking whether we can imagine any current bands making a concept album that turns into a classic?  That's a different bar to set, and I think there is an aspect of not knowing what is a classic, in it's own time.

The Decemberist - The Hazards of Love, this popped into my mind right away, but I bet there are quite a few others, depending on how far you stretch the definition of 'concept'.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

Crispy

Quote from: exist10z on Dec 18, 2012, 08:32 AM
The Decemberist - The Hazards of Love, this popped into my mind right away, but I bet there are quite a few others, depending on how far you stretch the definition of 'concept'.

I came here to say this. I think The Hazards of Love should be considered a classic "rock opera," if not a concept album, and I think it is an excellent all around. I played that thing non-stop when it was released and still love the hell out of it. I did not understand the negative response it got.

Another album that I'm sure others here are tired of me pimping is Now Here Is Nowhere by The Secret Machines. It may not be exactly a "concept" record, but it sure as hell flows from beginning to end.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Angelo

I thought The Roots' Undun was fantastic. Certainly not up there with The Wall in my opinion but a great record nonetheless.

Ruckus

I hope that Wax Fang does because they could pull off a great one I'm sure.

But to answer your rhetorical question, Yes.  In fact I enjoy many of the newer bands doing concept records than most of the old ones.  I just hate the fact that most critics must obligatorily pan them as self indulgent and a smack to the face of listeners.  Here are some great ones off the top of my head from the last two or three years (except the Mastodon ones).

Roots - Undun (classic)
Mastodon - Leviathan, Crack the Sky, etc. (all classics)
Fucked Up - David Comes to Life (classic)
Crippled Black Phoenix - Mankind the Crafty Ape
The Sword - Warp Riders
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Quote from: Angelo on Dec 18, 2012, 09:36 AM
I thought The Roots' Undun was fantastic. Certainly not up there with The Wall in my opinion but a great record nonetheless.
:beer:  What a surprisingly brilliant record!  I'd been pretty disappointed with the Roots output since the late 90's until Undun.  Wow!  One of the best records of last year for me.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Angelo

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
:beer:  What a surprisingly brilliant record!  I'd been pretty disappointed with the Roots output since the late 90's until Undun.  Wow!  One of the best records of last year for me.

I agree! This is the first album of theirs since Phrenology that I was really excited about. I read somewhere that ?uestlove said they will have a new alum out at the end of 2013 (I think). Hope they can keep the momentum going!

exist10z

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 18, 2012, 09:43 AM

How did I forget this?  Brilliant indeed.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: sweatboard on Dec 18, 2012, 03:56 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 18, 2012, 03:49 AM

It's possible I'm a closet RUSH fan.  :embarrassed:

I think it's quite plausible that you are a handful of closet things....

LeanneP

The Flaming Lips albums usually are excellent concept albums. Zaireeka, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots are all concept albums close to my heart. Zaireeka as a social/sound experiment is brain melting.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: LeanneP on Dec 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
The Flaming Lips albums usually are excellent concept albums. Zaireeka, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots are all concept albums close to my heart. Zaireeka as a social/sound experiment is brain melting.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: