Most Anticipated Albums of 2013

Started by exist10z, Dec 18, 2012, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeanneP

I'm looking forward to the new Magnetic Zeroes album. It's coming out in July, in the midst of their traveling festival tour - before the show I should be at - so I'll get to see the new stuff live!  :cheesy:
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Come Closer

Bronze Radio Return's new one Up, On & Over. The one song I've heard off of it is pretty mediocre, but I still hold out hope that I'll enjoy the album. Their 2011 release Shake! Shake! Shake! has been in the rotation a lot lately.

touchingmept2

Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Jan 05, 2013, 01:36 AM
Jim James
The Black Keys
Arcade Fire
Earl Sweatshirt (assuming he's keeping his word by steering away from the super violent content)
Jay-Z (Blueprint 3 was garbage)
Pearl Jam
Kanye West (Dark Fantasy wasn't very good and 808's was trash)

I agree with you on Jay-Z's last album, the one dropping on Independence Day better be hectic.

How do feel about Kanye's new piece?
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

capt. scotty

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Jun 26, 2013, 11:09 PM
Jim James
The Black Keys
Arcade Fire
Earl Sweatshirt (assuming he's keeping his word by steering away from the super violent content)
Pearl Jam

I agree with you on Jay-Z's last album, the one dropping on Independence Day better be hectic.

Apt wording, as Id call Kanye's new one a piece, piece o shit.

Im surprisingly digging Mac Miller's new album. Hadnt listened much to him at all, but he struck me as a joke of a rapper, the gimmick type, who could make a catchy song. His new one reminds me of Kendrick Lamar and Frank Ocean's great albums from last year. Almost no one here likes rap anyways, but its good.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Come Closer

Yeah I've heard some good things from reputable people about the Mac Miller album, but I'm still very skeptical.

Here are a few hip hop albums I'm anticipating for the rest of the year

Hieroglyphics- The Kitchen
Shad- Flying Colours
Deltron 3030- Deltron Event II (not holding my breath)
The Roots- & Then You Shoot Your Cousin

Ruckus

Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
Yeah I've heard some good things from reputable people about the Mac Miller album, but I'm still very skeptical.

Shad- Flying Colours
yeah Imma gonna avoid that Mac Miller one.

Since you're a Hiero guy and this is an MMJ forum, have you checked out First Light's (Pep Love and Opio) album this year?  I was checking it out earlier this week and it is very solid.  Pep Love will always be one of my favorites from that crew.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Come Closer

First Light is definitely one of my fav hip hop records of the year if not my favorite. It exceeded my expectations. Pep Love is the man, I assume you heard his album from last year? I thought it was pretty good considering the layoff. It obviously isn't touching Ascension, which I need to pull back out soon. I'm an Opio fan too, I really like Triangulation Station and his work on the Souls and Hiero albums.

touchingmept2

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 26, 2013, 11:13 PM
Jim James
The Black Keys
Arcade Fire
Pearl Jam

Im surprisingly digging Mac Miller's new album. Hadnt listened much to him at all, but he struck me as a joke of a rapper, the gimmick type, who could make a catchy song. His new one reminds me of Kendrick Lamar and Frank Ocean's great albums from last year. Almost no one here likes rap anyways, but its good.

Yeezus is surprising to say the least. It's different. The direction that the album took reminds me of industrial music, i.e. NIN. It's definitely straying away from the bubblegum rap that's churned out these days.

Mahgeetah34

Jim James
The Black Keys
Arcade Fire
Pearl Jam

Ok, now that I've had time to digest both I must say that Kanye's album>Jay-Z's. I don't really understand people calling the Kanye album crap, sure it's different, but I really like the sound. Also, the production is almost ahead of it's time. 808's was garbage but Im gonna go back and listen to that one. I may even rank this new one ahead of Graduation which I had as his 3rd best next to Late Registration and The College Dropout.

Mac Miller compared to Kendrick?? That's a bold statement. I'll give it a listen but Im not expecting too much from it.

Mahgeetah34

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Jun 27, 2013, 07:39 PM
Jim James
The Black Keys
Arcade Fire
Pearl Jam

Yeezus is surprising to say the least. It's different. The direction that the album took reminds me of industrial music, i.e. NIN. It's definitely straying away from the bubblegum rap that's churned out these days.

Would you give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down? It is a lot better than most of the mainstream rap that's out right now

Also, I hold high expectations for this album on August 20th :thumbsup:
Earl Sweatshirt featuring Vince Staples & Casey Veggies - Hive

Angelo

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 27, 2013, 04:21 PM
Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 27, 2013, 03:59 PM

Shad- Flying Colours
yeah Imma gonna avoid that Mac Miller one.

Since you're a Hiero guy and this is an MMJ forum, have you checked out First Light's (Pep Love and Opio) album this year?  I was checking it out earlier this week and it is very solid.  Pep Love will always be one of my favorites from that crew.
Pep Love is great. I love Fight Club but haven't heard anything from him in a while. Maybe I'll check it out.

touchingmept2

@Mahgeetah34   I'd give it a good thumbs up. It's a piece of music/art that makes listeners choose to love or hate it. That's a main goal of art.

That sweatshirt vid reminds me of yonkers by tyler the creator, hehe.

capt. scotty

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Jul 16, 2013, 09:15 PM

Theyre both in the Odd Future crew, as you probably know, so Id say thats part of the reason why. I thought both of Tyler's albums were major disappointments, or at least Goblin was, with Wolf I basically heard what I was expecting after what I heard on Goblin, except worse.

I thought when I first heard of Odd Future, Earl Sweatshirt was the most talented, but he's been largely off the radar until recently because of military school or whatever it was. Now Frank Ocean really impressed me last year, but to me you cant compare such different music, and I didnt even realize Ocean was in OFWGKTA until long after I heard his album last year. So, I guess what Im trying to say is Earl is easily better than the rest of the rappers in their crew, and actually I think his flow and lyrics have taken another step with these recent tracks Ive heard like the one Mahgeetah34 posted. The production on his upcoming may be similar to Tyler's albums, but to me he is on another level lyrically.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Mahgeetah34

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 18, 2013, 08:36 PM
Quote from: touchingmept2 on Jul 16, 2013, 09:15 PM

Theyre both in the Odd Future crew, as you probably know, so Id say thats part of the reason why. I thought both of Tyler's albums were major disappointments, or at least Goblin was, with Wolf I basically heard what I was expecting after what I heard on Goblin, except worse.

I thought when I first heard of Odd Future, Earl Sweatshirt was the most talented, but he's been largely off the radar until recently because of military school or whatever it was. Now Frank Ocean really impressed me last year, but to me you cant compare such different music, and I didnt even realize Ocean was in OFWGKTA until long after I heard his album last year. So, I guess what Im trying to say is Earl is easily better than the rest of the rappers in their crew, and actually I think his flow and lyrics have taken another step with these recent tracks Ive heard like the one Mahgeetah34 posted. The production on his upcoming may be similar to Tyler's albums, but to me he is on another level lyrically.

Goblin wasn't very good and Wolf isn't great, but I think its a step in the right direction. Tyler shows hints that he can make better music like he when he was featured on "Trouble On My Mind" but he sometimes just makes stupid stuff.

Earl is definitely the most talented by far of the entire Odd Future group. I was disappointed when I was going to see his show this summer only to find out that he had to cancel due to pneumonia. The album should be a great one though

Jeff Murray

I can honestly say the next album I am looking forward to getting my grimey mitts on is Pearl Jam's "Lightning Bolt".
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Ob1jacobe

I am interested in following

Arcade Fire - Oct 15
Frans Ferdinand - Aug 27
Okkervil River - Sept 3
Arctic Monkeys - Sept 10 - never really gotten into them but love both singles they have release
Pearl Jam - Oct 15
MGMT - Sept 17 - low expectations but still love their first album

Dillsnufus

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Jul 19, 2013, 01:50 PM

Arcade Fire - Oct 29
Frans Ferdinand - Aug 27
Okkervil River - Sept 3
Arctic Monkeys - Sept 10 - never really gotten into them but love both singles they have release
Pearl Jam - Oct 15
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

wolof7

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Jul 19, 2013, 04:40 PM

Arcade Fire - Oct 29
Frans Ferdinand - Aug 27
Okkervil River - Sept 3
Pearl Jam - Oct 15

Can definitely get behind all of these, plus these 2:

J. Roddy Walston and the Business ~ Essential Tremors (9/10)
Deer Tick ~ Negativity (9/24)

Also looking forward to a new Black keys release. ? if getting hyped for any output from kings of Leon is worth it. Sad that egos and overplay overshadow the rep of their first 2albums which were a lot of fun. I don't think I even listened to their last album at all. Anyways their new album 'Mechanical Bull' is out sometime this fall
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

capt. scotty

Quote from: wolof7 on Jul 20, 2013, 08:25 AM
Quote from: Dillsnufus on Jul 19, 2013, 04:40 PM

Arcade Fire - Oct 29
Frans Ferdinand - Aug 27
Okkervil River - Sept 3
Pearl Jam - Oct 15

Can definitely get behind all of these, plus these 2:

J. Roddy Walston and the Business ~ Essential Tremors (9/10)
Deer Tick ~ Negativity (9/24)

Also looking forward to a new Black keys release. ? if getting hyped for any output from kings of Leon is worth it. Sad that egos and overplay overshadow the rep of their first 2albums which were a lot of fun. I don't think I even listened to their last album at all. Anyways their new album 'Mechanical Bull' is out sometime this fall

J Roddy is easily my most anticipated for the reast of the year. Studio version of Heavy Bells is great IMO. Im interested to see what I think about songs like Black Light which seemed sort of meh but that is based on live youtube clips the Biz after all.

Deer Tick would be #2 on my list, or at least that Im aware of. Certainly more than any of the bands quoted from the previous.

New TBK and KOL would be interesting. TBK just to see where they go next as El Camino was so different from all their previous albums, even Brothers. I liked El Camino, but its not the direction I hope they continue going. I also didnt even listen to KOL's last album, I heard a single from it like a year ago and thought it was decent actually though. Theyre clearly dbags, and while their albums have gotten progressively worse, I cant say Because of the Times or Only By The Night are bad albums. Hard to believe OBTN was released 5 years ago, and they havent had a new album in 3 years. Maybe they surprise?!