Dream MMJ Covers

Started by EverythingChanges, Jan 01, 2013, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max5130

Quote from: Max5130 on Apr 21, 2015, 11:31 PM
EARTH SONG - MICHAEL JACKSON!!!         CAN YOU DIG IT????
or MORPHINE! I can dig it sucka!

Smitty

Terry Reid - Faith to Arise, Brave New Awakening or To Be Treated Right.
Drive-By Truckers - You & Your Crystal Meth
Bruce - Stolen Car, Adam Raised a Cain, State Trooper
Neil Young - Big Time, Welfare Mothers, Powderfinger, On the Beach, Albuquerque
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See a Darkness, Gulf Shores, Horses (Sally Timms' cover)
Big Star - Nighttime, Big Black Car, Country Morn
Grateful Dead - Stella Blue, Box of Rain
Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile, Sweet Black Angel
Townes Van Zandt - Brother Flower, Columbine
Gram Parsons/Byrds - One Hundred Years From This Day
Pearl Jam - Wishlist, Given to Fly
Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain
"Don't say what you would or wouldn't do, honey, cuz one day you just might have to" - Larry Brown

Smitty

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 10, 2015, 01:32 PM
Quote from: jimsflyingv on Apr 10, 2015, 07:48 AM
I said it before and will say it again anything from Warren Zevon -  :cheesy:

Jim would kill Werewolves of London...although I feel they would not go for the obvious but take on a lesser known track

any Zevon cover would be incredible..maybe just Jim acoustic with Hasten down the wind or the band doing Carmelita..

"Desperadoes Under the Eves", "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead", "Gorilla, You're a Desperado"...

Some more I think they could do justice:
JJ Cale - "Magnolia"
Lucinda Williams - "Ventura" (a male perspective would be interesting)
Jason Isbell - "The Blue"
Will Johnson - "Just to Know What You've Been Dreaming" (I know JJ has played on this one with MOF), "Rerun Pills"
The Drams - "Unhinged"
Kinks  "Celluloid Heroes" "20th Century Man" "Stormy Sky"
Wilco - "California Stars" "In a Future Age"
"Don't say what you would or wouldn't do, honey, cuz one day you just might have to" - Larry Brown

atk1

LET ME ROLL IT..ENCORE.. WOULD BE MAGNIFICENT!

oistheone

Would go absolutely bonkers for a Toussaint cover. They would KILL an up-tempo version of "Sweet Touch of Love".

HardNightConformist

"Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" - Willie Nelson

Awesome song that could've fit perfectly on At Dawn. Plus I'd chuckle when they'd sing the "only memories remain" line from it.

beardedwonder

"STANDING ON THE MOON" - TGD

I'm not a huge covers guy but this would blow my mind and likely send me into another dimension.

"Cortez the Killer" would be incredible too as has been said. I was really hoping to hear "SOYCD" at Newport Folk Fest when the boys played with Roger Waters. Also if I could hear a full album (cuz why not right) it would be "Animals" by Floyd.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

gardenparty

johnnYYac

JamBase: You busted out a lot of new covers at One Big Holiday last year and so far this summer, with the exception of [backing up Roger Waters at] Newport [Folk Festival], from what I've seen, you've been exclusively performing new material. Are you actively avoiding covers in 2015?

JJ: Yeah, I've been kind of tired of covers. I like playing them and we've done a lot of them over the years. They're fun in a party type atmosphere like One Big Holiday or on New Years Eve or those kinds of occasions where it's a show but also a party. Not that we don't want all of our shows to feel like a party. But at our shows, we're in more the mood and mindset to focus [exclusively] on our music because we're lucky enough to have so much music we can't fit it into a set, let alone cramming covers in. [Playing covers means] we'd be playing less of our own songs. I'm just tired of playing covers ...

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/127073/Interview-Catching-Up-With-Jim-James-Of-My-Morning-Jacket
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wesvol

Dirty Laundry

What a great cover this would be for Jim and the Crew. Go listen to it if you haven't recently.  Don Henley is a stud and this song is such a great time piece of 80's music. 

dogwoody

That would sound awesome. "Rider in the Rain" by Randy Newman (with the Eagles in the background) seems like MMJ could pull that one off as well.

Some others I think they could pull off:

Cruisin' by Smokey Robinson

Ooh La La by the Faces

Foosteps in the Dark by The Isley Brothers

Honeysuckle Blue by Drivin' N' Cryin' (I have no doubt MMJ would NAIL this tune)

Farewell My Friend by Dennis Wilson

New York Groove by Hello

Dirty Work by Steely Dan

Crispy

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 09, 2013, 06:52 PM

Quote from: ms. yvon on Jan 09, 2013, 06:37 PM
every morning i light a candle to hear Earth, Wind & Fire's "Way of the World" :beer:

:thumbsup:

I will take this opportunity to remind anyone who cares of the eternal flame I have going for Smokey's Tears of a Clown.

The Eternal Flame for Tears of a Clown still burns.

Beardedwonder, Standing on the Moon would put me in the hospital. Another msyvon science factâ„¢.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ericm

All Along The Watchtower is still my dream cover for them to do.

I'd also love to see them do Bruce's Ghost Of Tom Joad like JJ and Morello did at the MusiCares tribute.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

HardNightConformist

I'd love to hear them take a crack at Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits.

Concerns

They should do a Backstreet Boys song or something crazy like that.

MateoDeKY

I've always wanted to hear Jim sing Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay". I think that would be a great cover.
Our earthly bodies will surely fall, But the love we share outlives us all

RobRoy286

Jackson 5 - I'll Be There

Lonndown27

LITTLE FEAT's Feats Dont Fail Me Now, or Willin, or All That You Dream!!!  :)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

MyRunningShoes

I think it'd be real funny and real awesome if they played Freebird and went straight into One Big Holiday

gardenparty