Which songs are better live?

Started by manonthemoon, Jan 02, 2013, 08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItBeats4Jew

War Begun is probably the greatest difference (and improvement) between the studio version (which I still love) vs. the live one.
what Madonna said really helped

johnnYYac

I think part of why I say "all of them" is  because its nearly true.  I go through the list and find the studio version of many of their songs less intense or fleshed out then when seen/heard on stage.  The other piece to this is that I'd generally rather be at a show hearing their music than in my car, at home, or on the elliptical listening to mp3s.  The rare opportunity to listen to vinyl Jacket is the exception.

Perhaps a companion thread to this one?

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,17118.new.html#new
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

hands down, Highly Suspicious for me.  I get the criticism of the track, but damn those guitars and Jim's extended falsetto (especially this past Friday) are badass live. 
Don't you ever turn it off

Woody

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 04, 2013, 01:36 PM
hands down, Highly Suspicious for me.  I get the criticism of the track, but damn those guitars and Jim's extended falsetto (especially this past Friday) are badass live.

Agreed. This is always skipped when listening to EU but it's a monster live. I know it can be a tempo killer but Slow Slow Tune can be pretty intense live. I love Carl's guitar work on this.

vwxg14a

Every song on TF is extremely better than the recording and for that matter AD also. 
On ISM, Master Plan improves tremendously.  The later albums, the songs are all great live, but so are the recordings.   But any song live by them by default is better as we all know.
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

Fully

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 02, 2013, 10:45 PM
I always considered At Dawn to be their "studio album" (outside of Phone) and everything else they ever released sounding better live.

I have still yet to hear a digestible version of Black Metal, live or studio. Maybe they should try it solo; so low I can't hear it.  :happy:

HOT BM's are difficult to digest.

The DARK

To throw another title into the mix, Picture of You is great live, especially when they find the right groove at the end of it. The recordings on some of the archived early tapings are real gems.
In another time, in another place, in another face

MMPJ6306

Interesting how divisive this is. I never, ever listen to The Dark on TF (only Jacket song I skip altogether), but live I have enjoyed it. Many songs are great on record but even better live though.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

EverythingChanges

The Dark is super amazing live.  One of my favorites!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

ericm

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 06, 2013, 12:33 PM

Agreed. Hell of an opener at Forecastle!  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

parkervb

Carl was going bananas during The Dark at PC. Definitely belongs on this list.
Don't you ever turn it off

Fully

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 07, 2013, 03:54 PM

Carl was going bananas during The Dark at PC. Definitely belongs on this list.

I love it when Carl goes bananas, seriously.