Favorite artists new to you in 2012

Started by ManNamedTruth, Jan 14, 2013, 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Not favorite new artists, but rather what stuff you've been listening to that you've been hearing about for awhile and decided to dive into. Spotify has allowed me to dig a little deeper and explore/preview a lot of albums in their entirety, instead of maybe just listening to a song or two on youtube.

John Prine - Perfect combo of folk and country. I enjoy the range of sad songs to humorous/quirky.
Pinback - Very underrated band, nice melodies and awesome intricate sounding musicianship.
Husker Du - Still need more listens but really digging them, a nice fit for me since I'm into older punk music.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mahg33ta

This is by far a landslide easy answer for me:   Tallest Man on Earth.   Never listened before 2012, and between the 4 albums together probably what I listened to most in 2012.   And saw him live and left me wanting more.

Mahgeetah34

For me, it would be Purity Ring and Toro Y Moi.  Crap thought it said 2013...well, throw in St. Vincent, Kendrick Lamar, The White Stripes and Tame Impala for 2012.

robb

The three that immediately come to mind are Justin Townes Earle, Dr. Dog, and Futurebirds.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Jan 14, 2013, 08:33 PM
For me, it would be Purity Ring and Toro Y Moi.  Crap thought it said 2013...well, throw in St. Vincent, Kendrick Lamar, The White Stripes and Tame Impala for 2012.

But 2013 just started  :wink: Music that was new to you that you've been listening to in the past year or so is what I was going for.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

EverythingChanges

2012 was my year of music.  I discovered my favorite genre.

Wilco
M. Ward
Monsters of Folk
Menomena
Dr Dog
Explosions In The Sky
Grizzly Bear
Tame Impala
Wax Fang
White Denim
Houndmouth
Connor Oberst

I almost forgot M. Ward and MoF!! How is this possible, seeing they are the greatest things I have discovered this year next to Wilco, Menomena, Explosions, or Dr. Dog!

This year has really opened me up to new music that I know will stick with me for the rest of my days.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

LeanneP

M Ward.  Every time, previous to getting into MMJ, that I ever encountered that name before was spoken, invariably by my husband, I thought it was Em Ward, as in: short for Emma. I always somehow pictured a woman.

Listening to MOF was my introduction to M Ward the guy. And then I read an interview about MOF where Jim spoke of listening to M Ward on the tour bus for the first time, so I got that album as a first step and I. CAN. NOT. STOP!

I adore the album and I can totally understand how Jim fell in love with him listening to that particular disc.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Fully

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jan 14, 2013, 08:00 PM
This is by far a landslide easy answer for me:   Tallest Man on Earth.   Never listened before 2012, and between the 4 albums together probably what I listened to most in 2012.   And saw him live and left me wanting more.

I've loved listening to him too. Just beautiful stuff. This year got me into The Futurebirds, and I've developed an appreciation for Deer Tick. If Houndmouth had more than four songs out, I would say they are the band, since they don't, I'll just give them an honorable mention. I really loved Dr. John's album, but I didn't dig into his other stuff  from it. I think it was the Dan Auerbach collaboration with him that I liked. I'm going to go with Arbouretum as the band I discovered this year that I've enjoyed the most. Thanks, Ruckus for leading me to them. They filled a need in me was needing to be filled.

MrWhippy

Off the top of my head, the stuff I've been introduced to in 2012 that made the biggest impression on me:

Honeyhoney
Krallice
Sons of Bill
Wax Fang (thanks for Forecastle)
Joe Fletcher
Pallbearer
Shovels and Rope
Sharon Van Etten
Brown Bird
Dragged Into Sunlight
Liberteer
Diamond Rugs
Bolt Thrower
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

buaawwww

A couple of artists that I've gotten into this year that are on heavy rotation:

- Rival Sons
- Black Country Communion
- Ghost
- Deer Tick
- The Kills
- Graveyard

e_wind

Off the top of my head:

Alabama shakes
Houndmouth
Band of Skulls
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

FiddleCastro

Daughter, Shearwater, Hospitality, Gary Clark Jr, Joe Fletcher, Foxygen, Lady Lamb The Beekeeper, She Keeps Bees, Speck Mountain
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Ob1jacobe

- Tame Impala
- Menomena
- Hot Chip
- Woods

Probably a lot more.  I love the easy access to music but at times feel overwhelmed.   I think I end up spending too much in the looking the next great band and not enough time just enjoying what I already know I like.  This year I vow to have a balance.

Come Closer

Floating Action
Menomena
Arbouretum

Ruckus

Quote from: Osistheones on Jan 15, 2013, 11:14 AM
Floating Action
Menomena
Arbouretum
Hey O's.  I'll be at Arbouretum's CD release show on 2/9 at Golden West.  Let me get ya a drink if ya make it.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
Off the top of my head:

Alabama shakes
Houndmouth
Band of Skulls
Floating Action
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

HansAndreas

Alabama Shakes
Deer Tick
Wax Fang
Dr. Dog
King's Daughters & Sons

HansAndreas

Quote from: HansAndreas on Jan 15, 2013, 02:31 PM
Alabama Shakes
Deer Tick
Wax Fang
Dr. Dog
King's Daughters & Sons
Modest Mouse

Jaimoe

YimYodd

Gary Clark Jr.
Company of Thieves
Alabama Shakes
JD McPherson
Nikki Lane

Edit - Almost forgot,  Fu*k Monster  @ Funkfest in STL.
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough