If you could go back in time.......

Started by LD, Jan 17, 2013, 07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LD

I've thought about this from time to time especially when I'm watching some of these shows on DVD and wishing I could have been there.  List some concerts you wish you could have been at and why if you want to share!!! :grin:

Humble Pie- Winterland 1973 - Well, because it's straight up, non-stop rock n' roll. I love Steve Marriott's voice and love that he sings when he talks. Video is not from this show--I just like watching them live..

Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor - 1971

The Who - Isle of Wight 1970 - The catch:  I need to be up by the rail.  The idea of being in the middle of an ocean of 600,000+ people is a little scary, but well worth staying up until 2am to see them play. 

The Rolling Stones - American Tour 1972- Everything about the Stones on this tour was the epitome of a Rock n' Roll Band

Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice (From "Ladies & Gentlemen" DVD & Blu-Ray)

Led Zeppelin - Royal Albert Hall 1970 - Don't have to explain this one...

Led Zeppelin - Bring It On Home

Pink Floyd -Dark Side of the Moon tour 1972-1973 - - My favorite album from them

Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like ( Live 1973 ) The Dark Side Of The Moon Live ♫

The Last Waltz - Winterland 1976 - Cuz' it's THE BAND

The Band - Don't Do It

The Concert of Bangledesh - 1970 - What a line up....

Elvis- Aloha from Hawaii 1973 & Elvis -Las Vegas 1969 - His music has been important to me for as long as I can remember. Every time I hear him and see him in concert on DVD, I get choked up.  It would have been a dream of mine to have seen him live.

Ran out of room to post all videos

It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

APR

I was having this exact conversation with a friend of mine the other night.  Keep in mind I turned 20 in 1991 so quickly I came up with

1.  seeing Pearl Jam way more often

and

2. seeing Nirvana, Jeff Buckley, and Blind Melon at least once since I never saw a single one of them in person.

sweatboard

I think to have seen Nirvana in a shity club in aberdeen would be the greatest rock show ever.  I'm sure everyone at those shows was poor, wet, pissed off, sad, angry, and ready to get fucked up........... and that's why God invented Rock Shows. 
There's Still Time.........

ericm

Great thread, and list, LD.  :thumbsup:

I'm sure there are a few more that I would've  loved to be at, but one that always sticks out to me is a Springsteen show I had  tix to but passed on.

It was Dec.9th,1980, the night after John Lennon was murdered. I was at the show in Philly the night John was killed, but passed on the next night. Partly because I was  too bummed, and partly because I thought it might  be canceled or not up to the usual fun, celebratory type show. Boy was I wrong! One of, if not the only time Bruce has ever opened with Born To Run, and off they went  playing in John's memory, and celebrating his life. Regretted missing that show ever since, as I'm sure it would've been the perfect way to deal with John's death.

Here's the show, and the first minute still gives me chills hearing Bruce  talk about John, and right into BTR.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - PHILADELPHIA 1980 - FULL CONCERT +6 BONUS TRACKS

12/09/80 (Tue)  The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
Set 1: Born To Run, Out In The Street, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, The Price You Pay, Independence Day, Two Hearts, Prove It All Night, The Promised Land, Racing In The Street, The River, Badlands, Thunder Road

Set 2: Cadillac Ranch, Sherry Darling, Hungry Heart, Fire, Candy's Room, Because The Night, 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy), For You, Stolen Car, Wreck On The Highway, Point Blank, Rendezvous, Ramrod, You Can Look, Drive All Night, Rosalita, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Jungleland, I'm A Rocker, Detroit Medley

Set 3: Twist And Shout

"Where's Jim going?"

Tracy 2112

Early 80's seems pretty good. I was around and old enough, just in the wrong place. And the shows I went to back then were "sit back and watch" shows. I didn't get in there and mix it up, you know, get my ass kicked, continue to drink, rally, throw some shit, throw up, throw down, cry, rally, go broke, date Lily.

1 The Replacements - Takin' A Ride - 7th Street Entry

Broken Home, Broken Heart by Husker Du

X - Johnny Hit And Run Paulene

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

MrWhippy

Quote from: APR on Jan 17, 2013, 09:35 PM
2. seeing Nirvana, Jeff Buckley, and Blind Melon at least once since I never saw a single one of them in person.

I was lucky enough to see Jeff Buckley a couple times, and it was amazing.  I remember breaking down and crying when I found out he died.  It's hard to even think about what his career would have been like if we hadn't lost him. 

I also saw Nirvana.  The thing I remember the most about it is at the end of the show Kurt climbed up on the amp stacks and then did a swan dive into the drum kit, landing chest first, not holding his arms in front of him or anything.  Crazy.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

buaawwww

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 18, 2013, 06:31 AM
Quote from: APR on Jan 17, 2013, 09:35 PM

I was lucky enough to see Jeff Buckley a couple times, and it was amazing.  I remember breaking down and crying when I found out he died.  It's hard to even think about what his career would have been like if we hadn't lost him. 

I also saw Nirvana.  The thing I remember the most about it is at the end of the show Kurt climbed up on the amp stacks and then did a swan dive into the drum kit, landing chest first, not holding his arms in front of him or anything.  Crazy.

I had tickets to see Blind Melon THE WEEK BEFORE Shannon Hoon passed away.  Came oh so close.
So besides seeing the Melon.. it would have to be Led Zeppelin at any point in time... Grateful Dead Old Renaissance Faire Grounds August 27, 1972 (have the DVD)... the Doors at the Hollywood Bowl... shit I could probably think of a ton more... lol

LD

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2013, 12:28 AM
Great thread, and list, LD.  :thumbsup:

I'm sure there are a few more that I would've  loved to be at, but one that always sticks out to me is a Springsteen show I had  tix to but passed on.

It was Dec.9th,1980, the night after John Lennon was murdered. I was at the show in Philly the night John was killed, but passed on the next night. Partly because I was  too bummed, and partly because I thought it might  be canceled or not up to the usual fun, celebratory type show. Boy was I wrong! One of, if not the only time Bruce has ever opened with Born To Run, and off they went  playing in John's memory, and celebrating his life. Regretted missing that show ever since, as I'm sure it would've been the perfect way to deal with John's death.

Here's the show, and the first minute still gives me chills hearing Bruce  talk about John, and right into BTR.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - PHILADELPHIA 1980 - FULL CONCERT +6 BONUS TRACKS

12/09/80 (Tue)  The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
Set 1: Born To Run, Out In The Street, Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, The Price You Pay, Independence Day, Two Hearts, Prove It All Night, The Promised Land, Racing In The Street, The River, Badlands, Thunder Road

Set 2: Cadillac Ranch, Sherry Darling, Hungry Heart, Fire, Candy's Room, Because The Night, 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy), For You, Stolen Car, Wreck On The Highway, Point Blank, Rendezvous, Ramrod, You Can Look, Drive All Night, Rosalita, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Jungleland, I'm A Rocker, Detroit Medley

Set 3: Twist And Shout

That's a cool story ericm, thanks for sharing and yeah, I could see where you would be kicking yourself, but things happen for a reason which we may never understand.  I wish I was born about 10 years earlier so I could have seen a lot of my favorite bands in their prime. I have a friend/soccer dad who is about 60 yrs old that was at the Last Waltz concert.  I always tell him how envious I am of him and ask him, "Did you really know at the time that this concert one day would be a treasure for so many music lovers?", "Did you know how lucky you were at the time?"  I think he knows and he told me he was living with a couple of guys in San Fran and their neighbor worked for Bill Graham which is how they scored tickets to that show.--at the right place at the right time...

Jaimoe

One or more of The Who and Jimi Hendrix double-bills.

Shug

In addition to all those LD mentioned, cuz I love all those ones so much too!, I'd want to have been at some of those Allman Brothers/Grateful Dead double bills at the Fillmore East in 1970.  2-11-70, in particular, when Allmans and Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac sat in with the Dead.

Spanish Jam, 2/11/70 ☮ Grateful Dead & Allman Brothers

Like buawwww, I'd loved to have been at the Grateful Dead show in Oregon 1972 that sounds like it was a summertime acid-soaked, freak freely freaking great time!

China Cat Sunflower/I Know You Rider Veneta Oregon (new footage added) Grateful Dead

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Shug

I was never really that much into the grunge scene, but I do remember in '91 there was a triple bill at the Cow Palace in SF for New Year's Eve - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Red Hot Chili Peppers that was probably a pretty epic show.  That was when Eddie Vedder still climbed into the rafters and all that crazy stuff. I didn't go, I went to see the Dead as I always did at New Year's.

http://diffuser.fm/rare-red-hot-chili-peppers-nirvana-pearl-jam-concert-poster-makes-its-way-to-ebay/

ericm

Quote from: Shug on Jan 18, 2013, 12:45 PM
I didn't go, I went to see the Dead as I always did at New Year's

Sure, rub it in!  :wink:  that would be another on my "back in time list".    :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

headhunter

1975.  Bruce at the Bottom Line in NYC.

And I am sitting with Eric.

(i would also be happy if he joined me at the February 1975 show at the Main Point 6 months prior to the release of BTR).

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Shug

I'll come with you guys to see Bruce in '75!  I saw him for the first time this year (so very waaaayyyyyy late to that party as is typical of me) and it was really good, I can only imagine how it was when the band was young and hungry and hitting their creative peak on Born To Run.  Man, oh man.  No DVD can convey the greatness of those shows, I'm sure.

headhunter

LD

Personally, anything dating back to the 70's would be pretty awesome to see!  I forgot to add Manassas. One of my all-time favorite DVD's is Stephen Stills & Manassas Live (1972).

Manassas - Bound To Fall LIVE

Manassas - Stephen Stills - it doesnt matter 1972

ericm

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 18, 2013, 01:25 PM

(i would also be happy if he joined me at the February 1975 show at the Main Point 6 months prior to the release of BTR).

We're there dude!  :wink: and lining up right in front of the ga line hours early too. Shug, you're welcome to join the line.  :beer:

Jeff, another Bruce show I had tix to, but missed was at Seton Hall's Walsh Gymnasium right around the release of BTR in 75. My cousin was a student there, and had tix for him, my older brother, and myself. He bailed on us at the last minute that night because he met a coed,took her out, and gave the tix to some of his friends.

We were pissed, as we would've gone to the show without him. We still bust his chops to this day about that.
"Where's Jim going?"

Tracy 2112

Quote from: LD on Jan 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
Personally, anything dating back to the 70's would be pretty awesome to see!  I forgot to add Manassas. One of my all-time favorite DVD's is Stephen Stills & Manassas Live (1972).

Digging those, thanks!
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

LD

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
Quote from: LD on Jan 18, 2013, 01:51 PM

Digging those, thanks!

Here's the link to order the DVD from Amazon, if you don't have it already.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Stills-Manassas-Live/dp/B000BVNROY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358538110&sr=8-4&keywords=stephen+stills+%26+manassas

headhunter

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2013, 02:05 PM
Quote from: headhunter on Jan 18, 2013, 01:25 PM

We're there dude!  :wink: and lining up right in front of the ga line hours early too. Shug, you're welcome to join the line.  :beer:

Jeff, another Bruce show I had tix to, but missed was at Seton Hall's Walsh Gymnasium right around the release of BTR in 75. My cousin was a student there, and had tix for him, my older brother, and myself. He bailed on us at the last minute that night because he met a coed,took her out, and gave the tix to some of his friends.

We were pissed, as we would've gone to the show without him. We still bust his chops to this day about that.
[/b]

As well you should!!