Reddit AMA with Jim James - Jan 22

Started by Jackets N Pones, Jan 18, 2013, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: BigHerm on Jan 21, 2013, 02:08 PM
Nashville friends. I am going to forget about this tomorrow guaranteed. Someone pick up my slack and ask him when he's coming back! Remind him that shit festival fucked us last year and we haven't seen him in a while.

Thanks  :cool:

What if the band were who pulled out and caused that shit festival to have to cancel the entire thing? I don't know what happened, but it wasn't necessarily Soundland's fault, and I'm sure we'll never know what really happened. Also, I/m going to be on my phone trying to access this since of course reddit is blocked at work (this couldn't have been on a weekend, could it or at a time when most people aren't at work) One hopes one can get through.

el_chode

I think we can submit questions as early as 10:30 though.

Also, as I posted on FB, dibs on "would you rather fight one bear-sized owl or 100 owl-sized bears"
I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

johnnYYac

Well, I have a couple of free hours around noon, but Reddit is blocked at work, so...  :undecided:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 22, 2013, 08:27 AM
Well, I have a couple of free hours around noon, but Reddit is blocked at work, so...  :undecided:

Me too, John. I'm hoping I can get a question through on my phone, but the redditt apps do not look promising.

el_chode

AlienBlue is a solid iOS client. Might need a paid version to submit new threads but should suffice for casual browsing and commenting

el_chode

Here are my 3:

1) Did you guys ever become the second band to make it to space, as per"the battleplan" (and behind Wyld Stallyns, of course)?

2) Is there a legend behind the Omnichord, and if so, what is it?

3) Must be asked: **would you rather fight one bear-sized owl or 100 owl-sized bears?**

danz

Can someone please tell me how to access the conversation?  I cannot figure it out for the life of me

BigHerm

I have no idea if I'm doing it right, but I am refreshing this page:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/new/

until it pops up, then open the Jim James link and comment.

danz

thanks but I still don't see the conversation...

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: danz on Jan 22, 2013, 11:57 AM
thanks but I still don't see the conversation...

Me neither. I don't think it's there yet though? :huh:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

BigHerm

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

BigHerm

justbcuzido

Looks like Jim will be at Bonnaroo. Didn't comfirm if he'll fly solo or play with the boys. Awesome news though :)
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

BigHerm

Q/A

Q: Jim Im a huge fan and Im super pumed for the solo album. Any chance you will be at Bonnaroo this year?
A: thanks! yes!

Q: What are you listening to now? What albums are you looking forward to coming out in '13?
A: i've been deep into this band called floating action. i've been meditating on their last two records a lot: "desert etiquette" and "fake blood" ive also really been into this guy pastor t.l. barrett- he has two great albums: "like a ship" and "do not pass me by" there is a song on DNPMB called "father stretch my hands" that i have probably listened to 300000000 times in the past few days

Q: What is in a peanut butter pudding surprise?
A: ok. this is super important... so pay attention, because the ingredients are: 1.peanut 2.butter 3.pudding 4.love

Q: You're stranded on a deserted island, but you get to bring 5 albums with you. What do you bring?
A: 1. whats goin on- marvin gaye 2.like a ship without a sail- pastor t.l. barrett 3.gil scott heron- pieces of a man 4.the ink spots greatest hits 5.where dreams come true- eddie dunstedter

Q: Were there any particular artists/music that inspired Regions of Light?
A: yes the album was inspired very much by the wordless novel "god's man" written by lynd ward. it is one of my favorite pieces of art...musically there is a pretty wide range...everything from the early duke ellington stuff to marvin gaye trouble man soundtrack to my neighbors dog barking all morning long.

Q: Just curious what your views on religion, spirituality and god are? I saw an interview with you in Amsterdam when the Tennessee Fire came out and you seemed to have firm views against religion and god. However, you seem to reference them a lot in your songs and not always in a negative way?
A:hello. i think spirituality is maybe the most important thing a person can try and figure out in their lifetime on this realm...and that can also change for a person many times over a lifetime as they grow and change with life...i think it is a very personal thing and deserves a lot of time and thought...meditation has helped me start to get a little bit better grasp on what i think about when it comes to even starting to try and figure out the tip of the iceburg lettuce pray. thanks!

e_wind

surely that MOF thing is a joke...
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

BigHerm

Q: Do you think you've become a better songwriter/musician over time, and in what ways have you improved or evolved?
A: hmmm i dont know if i could say better or worse, i guess that is for you to decide! i know that i put everything i have into what i do and am constantly trying to change and develop what i do. i also know that life is very inspiring in every way if you keep your radar open...i find that i am constantly inspired by everything that hits me be it happy or sad there is something to be learned there and everywhere and i find if i keep my eyes open to the spirits and trust in god is as was were LOVE it will find me.

Q: Is Monsters of Folk still alive somewhere?
A: ha ha ha. yes MOF we are alive and well and hiding out in a valley on the southernmost point tip of mexico. we have worked on 5 new songs and also are developing a screenplay to be turned into a full length major motion picture. currently we are looking for a studio to take on the picture and also the album- if any of you are heads of major motion picture studios lets talk.

Q: Jim, ever since your My Morning Jacket clothes have evolved into what many of us affectionately call "the brownfit" I have become obsessed with why the brownfit almost all the time. Can you explain the evolution of the brownfit; why those particular brown pants, how many actual pairs of the brown pants you own, will we see the brownfit on your solo tour, and will it ever be retired like the trench coat has? I love your music, and have quite a few questions about it as well, but you never get asked about this in interviews, and I really spend too much time wondering about this.
A: i like to think of clothes almost like a uniform because i feel it is more memorable that constantly wearing different clothes all the time. i remember seeing an episode of the smurfs where smurfette opened her closet and all that was in there were like 20 different copies of the same white dress she always wore hanging on hangers. i just thought that was hilarious for some reason and have adopted that sense of fashion to my own sense of self when it comes to clothing my earthly body.

Q: Some question asked by a guy named I_Remove_Cocks
A: ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah aha ha ah ah a I AM ROARING WITH LAUGHTER OVER YOUR USERNAME!!!!!

Q: If you weren't such a pure musician, what would you being doing for a living
A: maybe art therapy or a roasted almond vendor on the streets on NYC

Q: How were you approached to guest star in the episode, "My Morning Straightjacket" of American Dad!? What were the cast and crew like?
A: mike barker from the show approached us with some really funny and crazy ideas. we were flattered and honored and also a little scared- cuz you are kind of helpless in a situation like that not knowing how it will turn out- but in the end they were really kind and did a really amazing job and we were beyond stoked and flattered!

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 22, 2013, 12:24 PM
surely that MOF thing is a joke...

I thought so too....but also imagined it happening and how cool it would be.

Love the Roo confirmation :)