Main Menu

Coachella 2013

Started by Mahgeetah34, Jan 24, 2013, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahgeetah34

Coachella lineup is finally out

FiddleCastro

Pretty weak. Some great stuff in there, YYY's, Nick Cave, Alt-J, Tame Impala, Dinosaur Jr,  (AKA Bands I can see here easily) but overall, nothing to get me excited

Also, how did they put this together? is there no order? Phoenix is a headliner now? :shocked:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Mahgeetah34

Headliners are pretty weak for headliners. I had never heard of The Stone Roses. The undercard isn't bad though, but bonnaroo will beat it by far. Didn't think Phoenix could headline. They must've had a headliner fall through

MrWhippy

Anyone else going?  Flake and I had gotten tickets in the presale, as you kind of need to do for Coadhella these days.

I'm happy enough with the lineup but definitely let down to a degree after just seeing that Primavera Sound lineup, which is one of the best festival lineups I've ever seen.  I still definitely plan on going, though, and am happy enough with it.

I have a really hard time believing Phoenix headlining Saturday was the original intention.  That might have been the day that the Rolling Stones were slotted for and they just didn't replace them.  I wish Neil Young could have filled in that space.  I'm also pretty bummed about RHCP headlining sunday, but there is always good stuff happening at the other stages at Coachella if you don't want to see the headliners.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

mahg33ta

I would like to go to coachella, especially after chatting w you a bit about it mr whippy.   It wasn't going to be this year anyway, but that lineup is a meh for me.  Sure there's a couple nice thugs each day for my tastes, as there will be with 100 bands, but the top bands don't do it for me. 

wonderfulman

I'm really impressed with the first day, Stone Roses and Blur. I think that they should have definitely split the two of them up, perhaps having Blur headline the second night. Kind of surprised by Phoenix being the main headliner. IMO, they are the weakest headliner Coachella has ever secured. Like you all are saying, they probably had someone else fall through.

Undercard is great, as always. Can't someone tell their graphic artist to change the design of the poster? I have perfect vision and still have a tough time reading the last few lines of each day.

APR

Great to come here and get my music news as usual.  I've always wanted to go to Coachella but this isn't going to be the year.  So many good bands sprinkled in that I would like to see, but I'm not into any of  the Headliners.  It would probably be nice to bolt before the headliners as far as avoiding traffic though.

e-stone

Quote from: wonderfulman on Jan 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm really impressed with the first day, Stone Roses and Blur. I think that they should have definitely split the two of them up, perhaps having Blur headline the second night.
how incredible to see both in one night though?  can you imagine that bill in the early 90's???  i truly hope this is a sign of a full blown Roses US tour.  i'm typically not into reunion shows, but this is an exception i'd make.

throw the Verve in here and Penny Lane's head would explode (as would mine).

e-stone = elephant stone = from one of the greatest albums of all time

e-stone

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 25, 2013, 01:21 AM
I'm happy enough with the lineup but definitely let down to a degree after just seeing that Primavera Sound lineup, which is one of the best festival lineups I've ever seen.
consistently the BEST lineup of any festivals the past few years...what a dream destination too.  it's on the bucket list.  unfortunately young kids/life = me not a festival guy these days....

MrWhippy

I'm actually pretty psyched that so many people are just focusing on the top lines of the lineup and dismissing it.  Coachella needs to have a bit of steam taken out of the insane rise in popularity it has seen in the past couple of years.  I hope this weeds out some of the people who need big names to be drawn in.

The undercard of this lineup is amazing, and that's much more what Coachella is about anyway.  It's pretty rare that the headliners are my favorite part of it, anyway.  Unlike Bonnaroo, all the other stages are active during the headliners, you are not stuck with nothing to do if there is a headliner you don't want to see at Coachella. 

oistheone

The undercard is pretty sweet indeed! Give me a triple shot of J acts -- J5, Janelle Monae and JEFF the Brotherhood -- and I'm a happy man! Hope this gets streamed, should be a good weekend! Errr, weekends.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: e-stone on Jan 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
Quote from: wonderfulman on Jan 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
I'm really impressed with the first day, Stone Roses and Blur. I think that they should have definitely split the two of them up, perhaps having Blur headline the second night.
how incredible to see both in one night though?  can you imagine that bill in the early 90's???  i truly hope this is a sign of a full blown Roses US tour.  i'm typically not into reunion shows, but this is an exception i'd make.

throw the Verve in here and Penny Lane's head would explode (as would mine).

e-stone = elephant stone = from one of the greatest albums of all time

BIG Stone Roses fan here as well!  Add me to the list that wants a full on US tour for the Roses!  Never got to see them back in their shortly lived hey day, but I won't pass up that chance again if they indeed tour the US. 

MrWhippy

Grinderman confirmed that their Coachella performance is a one-off (or, I guess two-off, with the two weekends).  That is such a brilliant move on Coachella's part, and makes so much sense as all the members of Grinderman will be there anyway. 

I love the double-duty Nick Cave!

Grinderman - No Pussy Blues (Live on Later)