Main Menu

Local Natives

Started by capt. scotty, Jan 30, 2013, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Surprised these guys dont have a thread here yet. Anyone give the new album Hummingbird a listen yet??

Ive spun it a few times, I think its very good and flows nice, but I dont think its as good as their debut Gorilla Manor which I sort of expected since that was a Top 5 album for me in 2010. That said, I can tell it will grow on me and the lyrics seemed hard to decipher sometimes so itll need its share of listens. It sounds great though.

Early favorites on the new one are Colombia, Ceilings, and Breakers. There's 3 bonus tracks on iTunes also which I actually think I like better than half of the album at this point. Sometimes I wonder bands reasonings on "bonus" tracks instead of just including them on the album. I guess so iTunes can charge a couple more bucks for that version  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dFjloBZYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6aIin9o3vQ
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ob1jacobe

I think it is a great album.  Need to give it several more spins before i make a final call on how it compares to the first.  You ever see them live and if so how are they?

capt. scotty

I find the new one to be more layered, more guitar melodies, less rock if you will. The keys are much more prominent Id say too. I think musically, they have taken it up a notch actually, I just dont see this one surpassing Gorilla Manor for me, but thats just my preference. You never know though. I dont hear anything that grabs me immediately like Airplanes, Wide Eyes, Sun Hands, Camera Talk. The albums sounds incredible though.

Havent seen them live in person, but I did stream their set from Lollapalooza in 2011 online. I thought they sounded pretty good, definitely had nice energy. I just looked at their site for their tour and almost all their shows are sold out if that means anything.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

davymac

I didn't know they had a new one out...I really liked Gorilla Manor so I'm excited to give it a listen, thanks for the heads up!

bigeazyfish

I fell in love with these guys while listening to their full-length live show from the Daytrotter "Barnstormer" performance. I strongly recommend checking it out.

I'm going to see them at Mercy Lounge (Nashville) in March....anyone else going to that show?

midwesterner

I have only listened to Hummingbird 1 time. But my first impression was that I wasn't really into it. To me is sound just too much like the first album but with no songs that really stand out. But I am really hoping it grows on me, because i really like their live shows.

capt. scotty

Quote from: bigeazyfish on Feb 04, 2013, 05:39 PM
I fell in love with these guys while listening to their full-length live show from the Daytrotter "Barnstormer" performance. I strongly recommend checking it out.

Which one? Just looked over there and there are 3 Barnstormer sessions, 2 in Iowa and 1 in Wisconsin. The Iowa ones are both longer, both look like the same setlist on quick glance.

Id think theyll do another standard Daytrotter session for this album, but maybe not.

capt. scotty

Quote from: midwesterner on Feb 04, 2013, 05:47 PM
I have only listened to Hummingbird 1 time. But my first impression was that I wasn't really into it. To me is sound just too much like the first album but with no songs that really stand out. But I am really hoping it grows on me, because i really like their live shows.

I dont really think it sounds all that much like Gorilla Manor, but if you do Im surprised you werent feeling it. I think it still has that characteristic pounding drums blending with melodic guitars that makes it identifiably Local Natives, but I think the album sounds quite different from Gorilla Manor all things considered. Like you mention, it would be interesting to hear a lot of this live because it is more mellow on record than Gorilla Manor to me.

I first listened to it when it was streaming on iTunes the week prior to its release. I was pretty much with you, nothing stood out really or grabbed me like nearly half of Gorilla Manor did initially. I thought it was okay, but since getting it and listening to it around 10 times now for over 2 weeks, its really grown on me. I think its an album that takes a few listens just to start to sink in, and it really works as an entire album. I still dont think there are really any anthem type songs which to me Gorilla Manor has a handful of (I think my favorite track is Colombia which is probably the closest), but there isnt a song I dont like and like I said earlier it sounds fantastic musically I think. I think Hummingbird is more toned down, mellow if not a bit melancholy, and also sounds more personal lyrically from what Ive gathered. I bought the actual CD specifically so I could get the lyrics and still plan on sitting down and listening while reading through that as there are a lot of instances I have trouble hearing what he's saying, but I think the lyrics might be better on Hummingbird actually.

Its funny because I think they have a tighter sound here, possibly better lyrics once I get a better grasp on that, and a more cohesive "album" that flows great, but I still like Gorilla Manor more.

bigeazyfish

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 04, 2013, 07:16 PM
Quote from: bigeazyfish on Feb 04, 2013, 05:39 PM

Which one? Just looked over there and there are 3 Barnstormer sessions, 2 in Iowa and 1 in Wisconsin. The Iowa ones are both longer, both look like the same setlist on quick glance.

Id think theyll do another standard Daytrotter session for this album, but maybe not.

Barnstormer 1 - Iowa

APR

I had never heard of them until seeing their appearance on Fallon on one of the nights Jim was on.  I've been listening to them quite a bit since seeing then and have become a fan.

I checked their touring schedule and was stoked to see two nights coming up at the 9:30 Club in D.C.  Then I was bummed to learn both nights are sold out.

Northern Neighbour

I have a ticket to see them in Copenhagen.  Hopefully I'll get to go and not have to be stuck working.

capt. scotty

Quote from: APR on Feb 14, 2013, 07:35 PM
I had never heard of them until seeing their appearance on Fallon on one of the nights Jim was on.  I've been listening to them quite a bit since seeing then and have become a fan.

I checked their touring schedule and was stoked to see two nights coming up at the 9:30 Club in D.C.  Then I was bummed to learn both nights are sold out.

Yeah, I thought a few more MMJ fans here wouldve popped in this thread because of that timing with JJ being on Fallon, but I wouldnt necessarily recommend Local Natives to a MMJ fan, and the song they played that night Heavy Feet isnt exactly a rocker (personally not one of my favorites on the new one either).

I checked their tour like a day or 2 after the album came out, and the 930 Club shows were the closest to me since Im in Pittsburgh but Im not sure by the time the shows come around Ill still be here as Im looking for a job further south. When I checked, 2nd night wasnt sold out but considering 1st night was at that point, and that both were weekend shows, I figured 2nd night wouldnt last long. Honestly when I looked, I was surprised they were playing 2 nights there. Not that DC isnt big enough, but club level bands dont really do that.

APR

I agree Scotty.  I'm surprised about the two nights in DC.  Maybe they're unusually popular in DC.  They're only doing one show in every other city including Boston, Philly.  DC almost always gets one show while Philly or NY gets two.  Tickets on Stubhub aren't too bad and will probably come down.  I'll check again late March and hopefully get tix then.

Happy Feet is one of my favorites from the new album.   Airplanes is my favorite off of the first album.  But I have to give it all a few more listens.   

Northern Neighbour

The show in Copenhagen was really good.  They extended some songs and added a little bit more of a rock feel.  The band is pretty tight.  The show was only about 70 minutes, but then again they don't have a huge catalogue from which to choose.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 21, 2013, 06:25 AM
The show in Copenhagen was really good.  They extended some songs and added a little bit more of a rock feel.  The band is pretty tight.  The show was only about 70 minutes, but then again they don't have a huge catalogue from which to choose.

I thought you lived in Canada man, did you go to Denmark to see them?! Thats crazy, crazy awesome.

Agreed on the catalogue standpoint. It would be hard for them to play 2 hours without a handful of covers, but when youre seeing a "headlining" band, you sort of expect at least 90 minutes. They could always throw in a few covers too. Their cover of the Talking Heads' Warning Sign on their debut is pretty awesome and sounds totally different than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDF6BQzWfG0

APR

I've been listening to them non stop recently.  Their two albums together are well over 70 minutes.  I realize they might not want to play every song, but 70 minutes is short for a headliner.  I'm going to see them in DC (probably thanks to Stubhub) in a few months.  Maybe they'll have a cover or two by then.

Ob1jacobe

This has turned out to be one of my favorite release of this year.  i now think it is on par with Gorilla Manors.  Great band!

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 21, 2013, 09:30 AM
Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Feb 21, 2013, 06:25 AM

I thought you lived in Canada man, did you go to Denmark to see them?! Thats crazy, crazy awesome.

Agreed on the catalogue standpoint. It would be hard for them to play 2 hours without a handful of covers, but when youre seeing a "headlining" band, you sort of expect at least 90 minutes. They could always throw in a few covers too. Their cover of the Talking Heads' Warning Sign on their debut is pretty awesome and sounds totally different than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDF6BQzWfG0

I was in Copenhagen for a work trip (just got back today), and they happened to be playing on one of the two nights that I was there.  So, I took a chance and got a ticket, and my boss let me go.

Agreed they could have played longer.  Not sure if they intentionally ended early, as they were playing in Sweden the next night.

APR

I loved their D.C. show last night.  They have a ton of great songs.  Great energy from the band and one of the best crowds I've seen at the 9:30 Club (respectful to each other, the band, and also loud when appropriate).  Hummingbirds is an outstanding album throughout.

capt. scotty

Quote from: APR on Apr 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
I loved their D.C. show last night.  They have a ton of great songs.  Great energy from the band and one of the best crowds I've seen at the 9:30 Club (respectful to each other, the band, and also loud when appropriate).  Hummingbird is an outstanding album throughout.

Glad you were able to find a ticket for the Natives man!