Is there such thing as a poster binder?

Started by TheThird, Jan 31, 2013, 11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Good info, WF! What keywords did you use in your searches?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

walterfredo

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 06, 2013, 11:50 AM
Good info, WF! What keywords did you use in your searches?

usually just 'flat file'

The one I got was a smoking deal, but it's honestly WAY too big.  I would much prefer a smaller one. 

Crispy

Perfect! I found this right off the bat, but the price is a little high. With something like that, I could not only store extra posters, I can start heisting some sweet maps from the library. I'll keep my eye open for more, thanks!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

walterfredo

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 06, 2013, 12:10 PM
Perfect! I found this right off the bat, but the price is a little high. With something like that, I could not only store extra posters, I can start heisting some sweet maps from the library. I'll keep my eye open for more, thanks!

yep, that would probably run over $1K new.  You can always make an offer on it.  Looks like a nice one.

Bernard

I have the Picturesque 24x36 and love it.  The oversized RR prints fit in it no problem. 

I also collect art prints, and many other bands gigs posters.  After much deliberation, this was the best choice for my needs. 

I will go the flat file route one day, probably once I own a house.

Here's a pic of a box from I got from Guy

I'll mention one more thing.  If you plan on storing for a long period of time, and are concerned about preserving your prints,  I highly recommend you store and frame using only acid free materials.  Prints are after all paper, and not made to last.  If anyone wants more info on this feel free to ask.  Happy collecting  :beer:

Penny Lane

so is it a consensus that the Red Rocks posters are the only MMJ posters you'd need the 18 by 24 for? (which year RR poster?) mine are rolled up and stored...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

vespachick

2012 Duo are too big by about 1/4"

The 2011 is fine.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ericm

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 08, 2013, 06:47 PM
so is it a consensus that the Red Rocks posters are the only MMJ posters you'd need the 18 by 24 for? (which year RR poster?) mine are rolled up and stored...

I think you have it backwards. You'd need an 18"x24" for almost all MMJ posters. The RR 2012 are too big to fit in that as Vespa noted above, and are more the exception than the rule.

E.g. My MMJ Burwell's are all smaller than 18"x24", and every other poster I have fits fine in the 18"x24" portfolio. The Fung's are a bit of a close fit, but they do fit.

Edit to say PLEASE get them out of the tubes and into one of these, ASAP.  The only thing I wish my  Itoya had was a handle for easy carrying, but other than that it's great. Shop around online, and look on Amazon. I think I paid less than $30.00 for mine. You can find these sometimes at places like Michaels and AC Moore and really a sweet deal if you can use one of their coupons in addition to a sale price.
"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

Get the folio!  As Crispy admonished Seth for stacking his vinyl, I "encourage" you to get your posters flat, stat!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 08, 2013, 07:01 PM
Get the folio!  As Crispy admonished Seth for stacking his vinyl, I "encourage" you to get your posters flat, stat!

just ordered!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

TheThird

So I got my portfolio and today I finally had chance to put my posters in! I love it so far. The only problem is that the posters curl up within the pages and then kind of stick out of the top which worries me because I can see them getting bent pretty easily. Should this go away over time? Does anyone know any other ways to make them lay flat?
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

johnnYYac

I put my posters directly into the portfolio sleeve as soon as I can.  I let the weight of the additional pages, and additional portfolios, help them flatten out.  It can be tough if you've had a print in a small tube for a while (as opposed to the Reno beast tube), but they flatten fine.  Nothing should be sticking out of the top, unless you have a  print bigger than 18 x 24.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: Bernard on Feb 07, 2013, 05:17 PM
I have the Picturesque 24x36 and love it.  The oversized RR prints fit in it no problem. 

I also collect art prints, and many other bands gigs posters.  After much deliberation, this was the best choice for my needs. 

I will go the flat file route one day, probably once I own a house.

I'll mention one more thing.  If you plan on storing for a long period of time, and are concerned about preserving your prints,  I highly recommend you store and frame using only acid free materials.  Prints are after all paper, and not made to last.  If anyone wants more info on this feel free to ask.  Happy collecting  :beer:

I got one of those Picturesque portfolios too, really nice, but really expensive.  I was just looking around this weekend for a second one, prior to reading this and I'm glad I didn't buy one.  From what I read wait until they are on sale, normally run about $199 and the extra pages aren't cheap either around $50 for 5.  I'm thinking of getting the one from amazon for my smaller prints and use the 24x36 for large prints only, that will save me a lot of dough to spend on other prints or beer...   :beer:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Angelo

So what do you folks do with posters that are too big for a portfolio? Tubage? I haven't found anything bigger and it really grinds my gears when I bring a new poster home only to find it has to be stored in a tube.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Angelo on Jun 03, 2013, 10:15 PM
So what do you folks do with posters that are too big for a portfolio? Tubage? I haven't found anything bigger and it really grinds my gears when I bring a new poster home only to find it has to be stored in a tube.
Some of the odd ones get frames faster, though just cheap plastic custom frames from Amazon.  I also got 9 posters shipped from Burwell in a big flat box, so that holds some of the weird big ones.  My Justin Hampton Denver 07 is lightly rolled and on its side in the corner, at 25.5 x 30.5 an awkward size.

Angelo

Yeah, I figured I'd frame them first too as that seems to make the most sense. I've never looked on Amazon for cheap frames, I'll have to check it out. Thanks

Angelo

Btw that poster looks great. I used to be a very big fan of Elvis Perkins when his first album released. I would've loved to have been at that show.

subinai

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 03, 2013, 10:38 PM
cheap plastic custom frames from Amazon. 

johnny do you have any amazon vendor recs for the plastic custom frames?

johnnYYac

Quote from: subinai on Jun 04, 2013, 09:36 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 03, 2013, 10:38 PM
cheap plastic custom frames from Amazon. 

johnny do you have any amazon vendor recs for the plastic custom frames?
Sure.  Whenever I have an odd poster with weird dimensions, and can't afford to frame it the "right" way, I've put the dimensions into the search window of Amazon and always end up looking at Craig Frames.  The least expensive option is a 1" black plastic frame w/Plexiglas.  Here is a link to Craig Frames on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_arts-crafts?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Craig%20Frames%20Inc.&node=2617941011

I have ordered 4 frames this way. 

19 x 25  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GF8L7A/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11 x 25  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EJFYFY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22 x 23  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EJMJH0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24 x 24  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049OB4GW/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

subinai