Jim Digs Bruce

Started by Shug, Feb 01, 2013, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Not sure if someone posted this somewhere else already, but it was too good to miss.
I love Jim's sincerity and honesty as a music fan.

"LIKE SEEING THE SUN SHINE FOR THE FIRST TIME"
Rolling Stone speaks with My Morning Jacket's Jim James, who recently "came to [a] realization." Yeah, a Springsteen show will do that.

You're a big Neil Young fan. Are you into his current work?
    The last Neil Young record I really enjoyed was Prairie Wind. I thought that was a fucking beautiful record. I like everything that Neil does. Neil's a big hero of mine, but I really came to this realization: I saw Springsteen in Louisville, and I've never been giant Springsteen fan. I only liked things here or there and I wasn't like a giant fan. I saw him in Louisville and he was fucking phenomenal! It was like seeing the sun shine for the first time or something. It was like he was so positive and it felt like every motherfucker in that place was his best friend. You know he touched everybody. He was crowd surfing. He was fucking running around and shit. When you see Neil [Young] and Bob [Dylan], they're, like, all pissed and you feel like they don't give a fuck if you're there or not. I'm so sick of that, and seeing Bruce I was like, "Fucking-a, man! Thank you! I paid a lot of money to be at this fucking show and you care I'm here." It was just, like, such a revelation.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

headhunter

Yep, I read that and thought it was cool.

I just don't know how anyone who has seen bruce live can't respect him.  I understand if you don't love someone's music, but no artist puts more into the concert experience than Springsteen.

I've been seeing Bruce livefor over 30 years and 100 shows.  Different than an MMJ show for sure but both can be life-affirming experiences.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Fully

I agree with you HH. I haven't followed Bruce as much, but one of my all-time favorite concert-going experiences was see Bruce back in the '80's. It's uplifting and positive and joyous and exhilarating. I'm glad that Jim is inspired by Bruce's performance. I really like that he understands the need to uplift the audience as opposed to the examples that he gives in that quote.

ericm

Yes he does, Shug, and even though this isn't fom the Yum show, I think this video sums up what JJ was saying about appreciating the crowd.

The E Street Shuffle from Paris: (a must watch til the end)

Bruce Springsteen - Paris 2012-07-04 The E Street Shuffle multicam HD with new audio
"Where's Jim going?"

bartel

neil young can get yah down but i love my neil youn.. bruce is overall more positive so I can see why Jim is into him big time thesedays as Jim seems to be in a loving everyone/positive mood.

zanjam

I read that today too. Thought it was totally awesome, especially that he paid for tickets :). But he totally disses Neil at the same time. Still loved what he had to say about Bruce, tho!
anything + reverb always = better

Shug

I haven't seen Neil live in over 10 years, but when I think of musicians who are grumpy and seem pissed off on stage, Van Morrison from the 90s on is the guy who comes to mind.  That is one guy you do not want to ask for an autograph or try to talk to as a fan.  He's been known to rip such fans a new one.  Dylan seems more like he's in his own world rather than angry.

But I love all this focus on positivity (and to tell the truth, I feel kinda validated with Jim's criticisms of the grunge era, along with negative, demeaning stuff in the rap and metal genres and the idea of you have to be in pain, depressed and on a negative path in order to have validity as a musician.  Its not a new idea, 70s folk rockers like Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne came to the same conclusion after some years as musicians.  I think its a maturity thing).
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Tired Eyes

I love Bruce too so enjoyed that part of Jim's statement.

His anti-Neil statement was totally off-base though.  I guess he didn't see any of Neil's shows with Crazy Horse in 2012.  Neil and his bandmates were laughing and smiling at every show I saw.  They were having a blast up on the stage. 
I hope Jim catches up with one of the Neil & CH shows during this tour as they are great shows and the guys are having lots of fun together.

ericm

Heard through the grapevine that last night JJ and Tom Morello were rehearsing Ghost Of Tom Joad together for the Musicares show tonight!   :cool:   :happy:

Hope you'll be there Tube top.   :thumbsup:  :beer:   
"Where's Jim going?"

Taterbug

Quote from: ericm on Feb 08, 2013, 08:24 AM
Heard through the grapevine that last night JJ and Tom Morello were rehearsing Ghost Of Tom Joad together for the Musicares show tonight!   :cool:   :happy:

Hmmm, Interesting.  I hope I get a chance to see this.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ericm

Quote from: Taterbug on Feb 08, 2013, 10:28 AM
Quote from: ericm on Feb 08, 2013, 08:24 AM

Hmmm, Interesting.  I hope I get a chance to see this.

Me too, but not holding my breath. It's very rare that anyone captures any pics, let alone video at this event. It's basically all music insider big-wigs and some guests in attendance, plus security is really tight, with cameras strictly prohibited. Throw in it's $1,500 a ticket, and I know I sure wouldn't risk getting tossed out. 

It's not broadcast live or taped delayed,and only four of them that I know of have been filmed for a DVD release, and shown on Palladia about a year down the road. Neil Young, Barbara Streisand, Brian Wilson, and James Taylor. Here's hoping this one is number 5!  :beer:

Here's a link to Musicares release on the evenings event:

http://www.grammy.org/musicares-person-of-the-year
"Where's Jim going?"

Taterbug

Hey Ericm,  Thanks for the info buddy. Lets hope it does get released.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ericm

Here's a pic of the finale last night with Jim front and center joining Bruce!  :cool:

http://instagram.com/p/VgQ6W5RpQR/

Jim performed with Tom Morello doing  Ghost Of Tom Joad. The same tune Morello joined Bruce on stage for at the R&R Hall Of Fame 25 year anniversary show. Morello has joined Bruce on stage many times, and will be joining the band for the Australian leg of the tour this coming spring. He'll be replacing Miami Steve Van Zandt on guitar while Steve is off filming for his new tv show "Lilyhammer".

I like how the degrees of separation between Bruce and JJ have gotten so close!  :cool:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  Maybe we'll see a collaboration in the near future or at the very least a new really cool cover for MMJ to do. :beer:

Here's a video of Morello joining Bruce for GOTJ from a couple of years ago, and would love to see the one with JJ from last night show up someplace. I'm sure it ripped!!

The Ghost Of Tom Joad

"Where's Jim going?"

Fully

Thanks for sharing these, eric! Jim looks really happy to be up there. That smile looks like he can't believe he's on stage with The Boss.  :thumbsup:

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Feb 09, 2013, 07:17 AM
Thanks for sharing these, eric! Jim looks really happy to be up there. That smile looks like he can't believe he's on stage with The Boss.  :thumbsup:

You got it Beth. There was a ton of pics from the evening to sort through but I finally found those gems.  I agree with you about Jim, and I'd say the title of this thread is definitely true. Jim digs Bruce!!! :wink:

Also heard that JJ and Morello "brought the hose down" last night doing GOTJ!  :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

From some of the pics, perhaps the thread should read "Bruce digs Jim".
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 09, 2013, 09:01 AM
From some of the pics, perhaps the thread should read "Bruce digs Jim".

Haha! I agree, and hope this mutual digging will lead to some sort of collaboration.  :cool:
I'll have to double up on the cardio to make sure my heart doesn't explode from the excitement.  :wink:

Pretty awesome feeling seeing someone I grew up listening to, saw a ton of times, and who was a big part of the soundtrack of my life, on stage performing with someone who's music I discovered, and came  to love much later in my life.  Two of my all time favorites, and so cool to see them on stage together.    :cool:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Taterbug

Great pics.  Jim looked to be really enjoying himself.

ericm

Quote from: Taterbug on Feb 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
Hey Ericm,  Thanks for the info buddy. Lets hope it does get released.

You got it Tater, and surprisingly some vids from last night have popped up. Neil Young, Tim McGraw/Faith Hill, and Mumford and Sons.

Still hoping for the JJ/Morello one as well as Alabama Shakes opening the show with Adam Raised A Cain.

"Where's Jim going?"