Lady Lamb the Beekeeper

Started by FiddleCastro, Feb 04, 2013, 01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

So sometime last year, I saw this girl, Aly Spaltro aka Lady Lamb The Beekeeper open for Kaki King in a small club in Brooklyn.  She totally blew me away from the first song, this one:

(first song of the two in the video)
Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Up In The Rafters/Regarding Ascending The Stairs (Live)

The room went completely silent, you could hear a pin drop, but I don't think the pin would dare to make a sound, as LLBk had full control of that room. No guitar, no drums, just her voice. She then started to play this great track, just her and her guitar:

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper "Bird Balloons" Live on TBLMS

I turn to my friend, and said to him, "This song is awesome, But if she had a full band, this track has so much more potential"   

She played a song about "being young, in love, and buying a lot of candy" - She just has a great style of songwriting, she unabashedly sings from the heart, hollering, rocking out, soloing with just herself on guitar, and it's just all around really, really good.  Watch this to see what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/mrPvJuMVxz4

So of course, Kaki King came on after her, and she was amazing as always, but I totally made sure to listen to some LLBk afterwards, and all I could find was her old bedroom recordings on Spotify, which were just her, her guitar, and sometimes some percussion.

Then I heard she had been signed to Ba Da Bing records, and was going to be coming out with a record with a full band.  To this point I had only heard her by herself, no band, and you know, you wonder how the addition of a band would effect the entire flow of things, but when I heard the album recording of "Bird Balloons" any worries went out the window and it reached that potential I talked about with my friend.

Check out Bird Balloons and Rooftop off of her upcoming album, Ripley Pine out February 19th here:
https://soundcloud.com/badabingrecords/sets/lady-lamb-the-beekeeper
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

CC

yes. she's awesome.

i found this video the other day, this the show you went to maybe?

http://youtu.be/NlWlu7W_hgA

FiddleCastro

Quote from: CC Baxter on Feb 04, 2013, 01:28 PM
yes. she's awesome.

i found this video the other day, this the show you went to maybe?

http://youtu.be/NlWlu7W_hgA

That was not, but that was great! I can't find any clips from the show I was at, sadly :(. I'll be at her record release show, though! Really looking forward to it!

I love the comment on this video:

she is a gift. not has...is.

http://youtu.be/hgglhU7UydY

FiddleCastro

SaraBananaBear

:wink:

For realsies though, she's got a really nice voice, going to listen some more. :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

CC

FiddleCastro

FiddleCastro

FiddleCastro

FiddleCastro

Album is officially out today! Check it out! It's great  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Crispy

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Feb 19, 2013, 11:03 AM
Album is officially out today! Check it out! It's great  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow, LIKELIKELIKE  :beer:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

Based on your promotion of her Fiddy, I spent time listening to her this weekend. She is definitely the real deal! I'll be getting her music this afternoon. Thanks for sharing this find with us!

Ruckus

I like this a lot Fiddle. :thumbsup:  Clearly you have a type :grin:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 23, 2013, 08:03 PM

Super-talented folk musicians?  :grin:

Tonight was her album release show in Brooklyn, with a full band, including special guest guitarist, her dad! Awesome show.  I hope she tours with some sort of a band and you all get a chance to check her out. 

Fully

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Feb 24, 2013, 01:27 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 23, 2013, 08:03 PM

Super-talented folk musicians?  :grin:

Tonight was her album release show in Brooklyn, with a full band, including special guest guitarist, her dad! Awesome show.  I hope she tours with some sort of a band and you all get a chance to check her out. 

I hope she tours as well! So great that you got to go to her al um release party!

FiddleCastro

Northeast tour announced with the also pretty awesome Xenia Rubinos

I am assuming she will be solo, no band. However, Xenia Rubinos and her drummer played with LLBk at her album release show

MAY 09 | BOSTON | BRIGHTON MUSIC HALL
MAY 10 | NEW HAVEN | CAFE NINE
MAY 11 | BROOKLYN | GLASSLANDS
MAY 12 | PHILADELPHIA | WORLD CAFE
MAY 13 | TORONTO | THE DRAKE
MAY 14 | CHICAGO | SCHUBAS
MAY 16 | DETROIT | MAGIC STICK LOUNGE
MAY 17 | PITTSBURGH | GARFIELD ARTWORKS
MAY 18 | COLUMBUS | THE BASEMENT
MAY 19 | CLEVELAND | BEACHLAND TAVERN
MAY 20 | WASHINGTON DC | BLACK CAT BACKSTAGE