The Who - Quadrophenia

Started by Shug, Feb 07, 2013, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 15, 2013, 02:34 PM
I admire your loyalty to It's Hard, FiddleCastro.

I definitely am part of a very small segment of Who fans  :grin:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

slappymoe

lifelong who fan, going to see them at the yum! tonight.   jim was at the springsteen show, wonder if he and patrick will be there tonight?

courier-journal article includes some words from patrick:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20130214/SCENE04/302140038/concert-band-guitars-tickets-music

quadrophenia is my second-favorite who album (can't top who's next), and one of my five all-time favorite double albums:

quadrophenia
white album
electric ladyland
exile on main st.
sign o' the times

terribly disappointed to hear that zak is hurt.  hopefully he's able to go tonight.

rincon2

Quadrophenia was the most significant album of my life. Listened to it on a rainy day in 1978, The Who became my favorite band immediately. Being 16 or 17 at the time really made that connect with me. I heard a few songs from the soundtrack of the movie, and did not like the mix. I still have not seen the movie, I guess I am stubborn that way, and the current tour depresses me. I will admit, a friend from high school, who now heads up several bands that play all over the world, and is the pickiest music snob I know, went to the Staples show and sent me a text because he knew my affection for the album. He said even without Keith :drum: and John it was amazing. And this is a guy who hates anything 'Classic Rock".

Jaimoe

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 16, 2013, 12:35 PM
Quadrophenia was the most significant album of my life. Listened to it on a rainy day in 1978, The Who became my favorite band immediately. Being 16 or 17 at the time really made that connect with me. I heard a few songs from the soundtrack of the movie, and did not like the mix. I still have not seen the movie, I guess I am stubborn that way, and the current tour depresses me. I will admit, a friend from high school, who now heads up several bands that play all over the world, and is the pickiest music snob I know, went to the Staples show and sent me a text because he knew my affection for the album. He said even without Keith :drum: and John it was amazing. And this is a guy who hates anything 'Classic Rock".

You really need to go out and buy the Blu-ray of Quadrophenia. It's a great fucking film and one of the true cult classics of the '70s. It's not really about music either. The soundtrack isn't good mainly because the songs were re-recorded and Kenny Jones sat in on at least one song, doing his best Moon on "The Real Me".

rincon2

Tommy sucked so bad as a movie I just never wanted to smash my own personal interpretation of Quad. Well, it is 34 years later, I guess I should get over it and watch that movie.

Jaimoe

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
Tommy sucked so bad as a movie I just never wanted to smash my own personal interpretation of Quad. Well, it is 34 years later, I guess I should get over it and watch that movie.

The film version of Quadrophenia has nothing to do with the mess that is Tommy. For one thing it's not a musical. It's gritty, depressing and yet uplifting classic with great performances, especially from Phil Daniels as Jimmy. Look for Timothy Spall, plus Ray Winstone is solid, as usual.

slappymoe

Quote from: slappymoe on Feb 16, 2013, 11:31 AMterribly disappointed to hear that zak is hurt.  hopefully he's able to go tonight.
ringo's boy was back on drums last night.   damn, he's good.:thumbsup:

roger actually sounded better than i expected, and pete was pete.  dr. jimmy......the rock....love reign o'er me:  incredibly powerful ending to the quadrophenia portion of the show.

spent the last couple of songs letting it sink in that this may well be the last i get to see of these guys.  satisfying and sad at the same time. :beer:

buaawwww

I caught the show last night at Nassau Coliseum.  I can't review it any better than some of the others have done here.  What is there to say?  I got to see my favorite 2 albums performed from start to finish live (The Wall and Quadrophenia), so everything else now is just gravy.
Watching them run through the album, and the hits at the end, the show took on a different feel to me.  By the end, when Roger had his arm around Pete and they were doing "Tea and Theatre" just the 2 of them and an acoustic guitar... you got the sense that there may not be many more times to witness these guys together like this in the future.  When they are around... take advantage.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: buaawwww on Feb 22, 2013, 10:12 AM
I caught the show last night at Nassau Coliseum.  I can't review it any better than some of the others have done here.  What is there to say?  I got to see my favorite 2 albums performed from start to finish live (The Wall and Quadrophenia), so everything else now is just gravy.
Watching them run through the album, and the hits at the end, the show took on a different feel to me.  By the end, when Roger had his arm around Pete and they were doing "Tea and Theatre" just the 2 of them and an acoustic guitar... you got the sense that there may not be many more times to witness these guys together like this in the future.  When they are around... take advantage.

I was there as well, that was a great show.  Here's what I posted on Facebook last night after the show:

Tonight I saw The Who for the 7th and probably last time. I saw them 4 times on their Quadrophenia tour, and I am so grateful I had the opportunity to do so. No album has ever had quite the effect on me as Quadrophenia. Tonight I embraced the fact it would probably be the last time, and treated it as farewell. Seeing them perform the greatest album of all time is a much more preferable ending than to see them go through the motions performing a "Greatest Hits" set that appeals to the casual crowd, rather than people like me who just wants to hear A Quick One While He's Away and Blue, Red, and Grey. If they're coming around your area, I suggest you go see them, this tour is absolutely phenomenal, and if you're a fan of Quadrophenia you have no excuse, even without Keith or John. The band they've assembled is great this tour. Farewell Who, It's been an incredible ride.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

GO4IT

I'm glad to see all the plaudits for Quadrophenia.  I saw the show in Philly a few months ago.

I can remember when the record first came out being blown away by the mood it could evoke.  No album I've ever heard has as much of an ability to take you to another place IMHO.

Jaimoe

This is a bit of an ugly incident via Townshend at the Quadrophenia tour stop in Hamilton, Ontario a couple days ago, although the little girl in question will think its pretty cool the older she gets...

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/21/pete-townshends-f----off-breaks-young-fans-heart

slappymoe

pete being pete.  some things will never change.

not the nicest thing he could have done, but not terribly surprising.